TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Thief 2 FM "Unknown Treasure" RELEASED 12-05-2007

Encountered the load/save-bug, after
    spoiler:
    KOing the guard in front of the Estate

Donīt have a old save but will wait for an update and start it over. I like this kind of Thief missions. And I really enjoy every mission because of the time the authors invested to entertain me with nothing in return than my gratitude.

ok finished it after a restart due to the nasty surprise I mentioned earlier

I decided that if you are going to spring AI's who materialise right behind me and have super speed AI's who can sense when you raise a BJ then turn and kill you before it has time to fall that all bets were off regarding sneaking round and quietly BJ'ing AI's who get in the way

in short barring the restrictions on the Yangus estate any AI with a weapon was fair game for a one way ticket to a coffin, delivered by arrow, from shadow, from a rooftop the AI can't reach

not my normal style of play and not so much fun but it works

I'm a thief not an assassin dead people can't obtain more wealth for me to steal, thats my general philosophy in thief

apart from that it was an excellent mission with some really stunning sets and some extremely hard sections, I was very impressed with the lava river and the tumbling rocks, not so much when I fell in from the stepping stones and the men of fire were beautiful .. if a trifle deadly the tilted house was really disorienting and there were lots of opportunities for climbing which I liked, despite the renderer having a heart attack at the scene complexity if I looked the wrong way

there could have been a few more readables for example a note pinned to the wall outside the williams, saying something like "help wanted finding lost item, REWARD, apply inside" would have stopped me treating them like any other civilian AI who gets between me and a safe that might contain loot and some kind of note about supernatural guards being employed would stop me getting upset at AI's appearing right behind me from nowhere, a note about ringing the bell to shift the guards would have stopped me resorting to reading the forum as well

the zombies were very useful for getting rid of AI's, they were a bit slow dealing with civilians as they ran around a lot but even the superguards would go down eventually as they would stand relatively still and fight

saved a fair few arrows for me those zombies

on the whole a very good mission with a couple of points I personally wasn't keen but an excellent mission none the less

now the stats including one that doesn't normally appear

playing on hard
    time - 6 hours 16 minutes
    loot - 5189 out of 6969
    secrets 4 out of 5
    personally killed 22 AI's there were a few more that the zombies got

Quote Originally Posted by GORT View Post
    I hate to annoy anyone, but do any of you think I should update the FM one last time? I want to make all of the loot grabable.
    Definitely yes. I am looking forward to it, and I will surely play it again when the new version is released.

In addition to the loot (which has not been a problem for me personally), I have found two significant problems with game play. But let me say beforehand that I have had a great deal of fun playing this mission up to this point, and I wish these problems had not cropped up.

As many have noted, there are lots of super-fast and super-alert guards. I read the readme after the fact about finding bodies, but I think the mission is ruined by these guys. Especially super-fast and super-alert hard hats that can't be BJ'ed. These guys are frustrating because you need to get past them several times. I would suggest that if you want to force the player to be careful about hiding bodies, why not just make "no bodies discovered" an objective and fail it immediately instead of putting the player through the delayed torture with the fast guards?

The second thing is, I guess I made a mistake (unknown to me) to BJ the guards for the Yangus house as they were on the way back from the cemetery. As noted other players, the result of BJing those guards is the five minute reload problem. One problem with the Yangus guards is that they can also be killed by zombies, out of the players control. I think the sequencing demands that you visit the pagan, release the zombies, and recycle the guards after the zombies are released. So there is a random failure if a Yangus guard gets killed by a zombie. My suggestion is to fix the Yangus guards so damage to them does not cause the slow reloads.

Having both of the above problems at the same time makes the game unplayable, so I am going to have to restart or wait until the next release.

I would like to suggest also that tying the opening of the gate to the 4000 loot goal is kind of punishing and unrealistic. 3500 would be a nicer number, and having a different (and more logical) method to open the gate would be even nicer, in my opinion.

All that notwithstanding, I will play it again - either in the new or the existing version. Keep up the good work, and don't be discouraged by these comments.

OK. I'll try to find a way to fix those problems and get it updated.

BTW: I'm currently working on the next mission and make this FM into a two FM pack. Of course, I'll have to make a few changes to the map and what-not. I've haven't thought of the title for the pack just yet.

I managed to get into Yangus house by climbing over the wall in the secret area and dropping in to the garden , i have completed the objective about
    spoiler:
    Killing yangus
    but now i cant leave the garden where the guards are because of an invisible barrier
    is there anothe way out ?

Edit : Never mind i got out by
    spoiler:
    stacking pot plants
    but then i got the pretty rainbow effect so a quick save a reload and im back on track
    Last edited by Vipercat; 30th Dec 2007 at 08:35. Reason: found a solution

New problem
    I have entered the lava cave and read the plaques, gone down lower and grabbed the red plaque and put it in place but now when i press the button for the stepping stones i only get 1 stone in the middle of the lava flow making it impossible to get back

I missed the place for the key that was for the attic. If I would have simply just look there before, instead of ingnoring that narrow path to it, I would have saved a lot of agony. I also managed to survive traversing the lava flow...that was a fast moving heat of destruction!
    Some bugs were encountered if I was seen in the house and then tried to reload to a previous point while still in the house, the end game crossbones of DooM would appear seconds later.
    You have to reload AND save to survive this mission at several points within play.
    spoiler:
    I saw an ice cave and then it was over...

Looking forward to the next installment Master Gort.
    Thanks for making it.

Edit: I want to add that the effort that was put into this misson was phenominal as the AI progressively attempts to thwart (and test) your skills to survive. You have to witness all the tactical improvizations to be encountered as a test of patience, thats for sure. Very impressive enemy resistance encountered to progress on.....

dealasteal
    Last edited by dealasteal; 3rd Jan 2008 at 22:34.

another way into the sunken house?

I read
    spoiler:
    the journal about a way under the sunken house, but is there a way into the sunken house besides using the front gate? I can't find it.

Also,
    spoiler:
    do I need to do the Pagen objective before I go into the sunken house?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Verak View Post
    I read
    spoiler:
    the journal about a way under the sunken house, but is there a way into the sunken house besides using the front gate? I can't find it.
    Answer:
    NO

that reference is suppose to clue you into what's gonna happen once your IN the house! ;D

spoiler:
    do I need to do the Pagen objective before I go into the sunken house?

Thanks!
    Also, I remember something about loot objectives AND the pegan objective is what will help you realize whats happening next to the hammerite objective during completion. Also, Focus on visiting the needs of citizen objectives along the way, carefully fulfilling their needs, as requested. It all comes together.
    Last edited by dealasteal; 3rd Jan 2008 at 23:59.

Thanks dealasteal.

Well, I give up . I was doing okay with all the bugs and objectives until I had to
    spoiler:
    release the zombies, and go back to the lava for the SECOND time, but had no more water arrows to defeat the fireman.
    I was getting pretty good mantling up the sloped steps that you get stuck in, but the load times started to take a few minutes, like people mentioned......and this mission required A LOT of loading I'll have to put it on the back burner for now .....-Otherwise, this mission was huge, with great V/O

new post, to avoid spoilers

I've just made it past the sunken house to the lava flow...
    I can't jump down to the left without breaking both my legs; I tried hitting the button across the way with an arrow, but the path disappears before I can get to the other side. how am I supposed to get around this?

I really wish there were a few gas arrows or mines in this city, since I hate having to pseudo-ghost my way back and forth through the city all the time. it can be fun, but it's not my play style.

and where is that damn necklace?!

Quote Originally Posted by MrMunkeepants View Post
    I've just made it past the sunken house to the lava flow...
    I can't jump down to the left without breaking both my legs; I tried hitting the button across the way with an arrow, but the path disappears before I can get to the other side. how am I supposed to get around this?
    spoiler:
    Hop over to the first stalactite. You will stick to it. Climb up to near the top. Circle around until your nose is against the next stalactite and as high as you can go. Jump over to second stalactite. Climb down.

I finally finished V1.0 on Insane skill.

Previously I had given up due to slow load times and super fast AI -- the load times making the AI difficult to deal with. Just for the record, the fast AI are caused by someone seeing a body, and the slow load times are caused by one of the two guards at the Yangus house being BJ'ed or killed. The guards can be killed inadvertently by turning the zombies loose while the guards are still on patrol. One reason this could be a problem is that the guards can go on patrol and not come back. Then they do not move until you go to release the zombies. So naturally the timing is bad. I myself BJ'ed them while they were on patrol, and that caused the problem. Anyway, I think there is a script bug with those guards that causes the slow load times.

So, I fixed this by going back to a previous save before BJ'ing the guards. Then I could deal with the fast AI, BJ'ing most of them from one good hiding spot, and everything went smoothly after that.

I would like to see this re-released with the fast AI effect and the load time bug eliminated. It is hard enough without contending with those.

In spite of that, I enjoyed the mission. Thanks a lot, GORT.

Quote Originally Posted by smithpd View Post
    One reason this could be a problem is that the guards can go on patrol and not come back. Then they do not move until you go to release the zombies.
    I think they move when you are reasonably close to them, i.e. the guards are not 'put on hold' because you are very far from them. I think this has the nice side effect that you can take your time in the Yangus Estate without risking the guards blocking your exit.
    The "zombie marsch" to the bait works the same, they are put on hold when you are on the other side of the city. This makes it quite easy to control the movement of either party, so you donīt risk a confrantation between them.

Some comments and 'loose ends' questions:

* Is there anyone else but me who found it satisfying to Hammer the barrel blocking the loot crystals in Bassoīs place to bits, and then got amused/confused that it left zombie parts behind? Hmm, were the zombie parts stored in the barrel, or are they the barrelīs "corpse" (similar to the Vampyre Mist in Midnight in Murkbell)?

* Is there anything special to find/do at the top floor of the warehouse? Is there anything special about the 'dog man mage' there? I think this is the guy that Yangus referred to as "Mr. S"

* I was absoutely convinced that GORT meant for us to 1.) stack crates and stuff to get to the drill bit (I have a nice screenie of my gorgeous stack that Iīll show you later) 2.) get over the wall to the sunken house, rather than through the gate. I mean, the layout of the surrounding area really tempts you to do this. I am not a 'professional climber' by any means, but all it takes to get over the wall is to bring a crate, mantle up the Mechanistīs gate when itīs open, a small jump, get on the crate, jump-mantle up, then some more simple walking and jumping (there is even a nicely placed street lamp to land on to avoid taking damage from the drop at the end!). Since itīs so easy and inviting to get in, I think there should be a lever behind the gate to open it so you donīt get trapped in there like I did.
    spoiler:

(Hehe, I use this way in even when the gate is open. It makes it a lot easier to sneak up on the guards.)

* @GORT: The female warrior (Saria, or something like that) that is supposedly looking for Garrett, can she be found or will that be for a later mission? Or is it just a red herring?

* Gort Electronics. Nice...

* Where is all the taffinīloot?! I miss a massive 2105. If all of it canīt be found, what is the maximum that can be found?
    Last edited by jiansonz; 24th Jan 2008 at 05:59.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by GORT View Post
    BTW: I'm currently working on the next mission and make this FM into a two FM pack. Of course, I'll have to make a few changes to the map and what-not. I've haven't thought of the title for the pack just yet.
    Damn!

That GORT are more prolific than I though...

Instead my T3 FM proceed very slowly, for the large insufficiency of the creation tools such as T3Ed, the inefficiency of the freetheobject package for Thief 3, that doesn't convert every .tim SM into 3DS format and the huge complexity of 3DStudio (someone knows how to create a grid in 3Ds that is equal to that in T3Ed?), lastly, and not less important, the large dimension of my project.

Bad News... Well, some what...

Well, it looks like I'll need to do an over-all on this FM for an update. Because of how big this FM is, I can't seem to re-pathfind it. So, the update for this FM will be in the 2 FM pack. Sorry about that guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    loot - 5189 out of 6969
    secrets 4 out of 5
    Nice! Youīve found 300 more loot than me. Care to share the locations of some of the more 'hard-to-find' stuff, please? Was there anything in the Yangus estate other than in the office? Anything in the caves?
    I have been searching for hours now, and only bumped my finds up by 25 gold (a crystal in plain sight that I simply missed on my second time playing).

Even if there is a purse worth 1500 that canīt be found, we still miss a LOT, I think...

Oh, and I have 5 out of 4 secrets.

Nearly every time I manage to get to a new area, I end up in places I was clearly not supposed to be in...
    Now my 'search image' has turned to coins and rings, and I try to "vacuum" every area more thorougly.

Oh, and I would really like some answers to my questions three posts ago. Please.

Plus a new one: can the unfrobbable metal door that leads to a corridor above the kitchen in the 'fancy house' be opened? It sure wonīt yield to fire arrows.
    Last edited by jiansonz; 6th Feb 2009 at 04:41.

Hi,

I'm a little bit disoriented. Where is the Mechs area to put zombie bait ?

GORT : great FM, althought hard, very enjoyable !!!

EDIT: OOPS ! I have found it.

All objectives ticked except Ring and Treasure. I'm not able to take ring from killed Yangus and treasure pieces are not pickable... What now, pls ?
    Last edited by Aspirin; 17th Feb 2008 at 08:25.

*Purple door near Yangus house, maybe the door leading to thieves- how could it be opened?
    *Where is the office key for Yangus?
    Last edited by ticky; 25th Jun 2009 at 06:21.

@ Aspirin

I Hope this will help ya.
    Search hard on Yangus around the waist (you can tell where exactly when you have an item selected like flares etc.). To get the treasure pieces, you'll need to get in the cave through the sinking house. Greg's key can be found after you read his journal. But watch out. You'll then have to deal with more guards. Also, try to keep all knocked out or dead bodies in very dark areas. They get enraged when they see 'em. Deep in the cave you'll find plaques that will trigger the objective to get those treasure pieces.
    Have fun.

Where is Yangus and where is the readable about ringing the bell?
    I've saw in one post that there is a mini journal.Where is it?
    And finally where is this Benny objective?

@ BG_HHaunt

You can find Yangus in his estate.
    The mini journal is on the hip of one of the non-violent AIs. It will tell you about the bell and more.
    As for the Benny objective.... I'm not sure of what you mean. Tell me what the objective is about.

Played on Insane!, found 4074 loot out of 7119. WHERE ARE ALL THE LOOT? Been to all mentioned places, even secret yard near sunken house, and yes, I got the drill bit too. Anyone have a loot list?

Quote Originally Posted by ticky View Post
    Anyone have a loot list?
    Yes, me and Freddy Fox made one earlier this year. Itīs part of a batch I sent to Jason at thiefmissions, but it seems he is busy these days, so it hasnīt been included in his updates yet.

5434 is the maximum loot you can get.
    (Itīs odd that you have 7119 as listed maximum. I know I had 6934 as listed maximum.)

I uploaded it now to MediaFire, as an Excel file. Here you go.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast