TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Newest ATI Catalyst Drivers Show Perfect Fog In T2!

Newest ATI Catalyst Drivers Show Perfect Fog In T2!

All without tweaks apparently. Earlier today I was fiddling around with my T2 config, and I re-enabled the fog option (I still had it disabled in the config file I moved from my other system, which refused to display fog even with tweaks), and started up Precious Cargo. Sure enough to my surprise, fog fog fog, everywhere is the fog I have not seen in ages.
    Again, no tweaks have been made & no external software has been installed.

The drivers I'm using are Catalyst 7.11 on a Radeon X1950 Pro, for the record.
    Last edited by masterthief3; 21st Dec 2007 at 17:17. Reason: Fixed Thread Title (again)

You MUST take a screenshot of looking up the central shaft in "Dwelling Insanity" and post it on this thread, so we can see if it's "proper" fog or just the ATI "wall of fog" crappy fog.

Please!

As you wish.

Looking Up

Statue

Hall

The fog is smoother then I've ever seen on a Radeon before.

Sure enough, that is proper fog.

I posted several photos of Dwelling Insanity on a 3dfx card here long ago, the thread is somewhere.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...ty#post1186347

Close to three years and the photos are still there, cool.

2nd edit: Noooo, only one photo works.
    Last edited by Ladron De La Noche; 21st Dec 2007 at 05:52. Reason: Hooray!, found it. =)

bikerdude
    Hmm

Does anyone have a HD 2x00 or a HD 3x00 card that they cant test this on..? also to see if the textures in the shadows are present..

biker

Oh this is sweet sweet news!

MY GOD! COOOL! I am now sticking with my 9600pro This is brilliant! I have no idea why they fixed it, but thank you, thank you ati

Put this in the thief faq

Oh yes, I just installed ATI Catalyst drivers 7.12 (released yesterday!) and you're right, without any tweaks the fog works PERFECTLY! It's NOT the crappy "wall of fog" effect that tweaking used to accomplish before, no, it's actual smooth nice perfect fog!

Woohoo!!!

This really needs to get added to the FAQ. So far we've seen that 7.11 and 7.12 (released Dec 20) work, I don't know what version it started on though.
    Last edited by Shadak; 21st Dec 2007 at 12:10.

"It's NOT the crappy "wall of fog" effect that tweaking used to accomplish before, no, it's actual smooth nice perfect fog!"

Yeah, I remember. No more big, thick white mass hovering about 10 feet away from the camera. Woot woot!

And yes, Update The FAQ!

Oh man! I must get the new driver, but I have only a slow internet connection. Is there somewhere a driver-only package aviable?

Yes, here via option 2.

By the way, if you have a laptop which won't allow the update to the new driver, you can bypass that (retarded) limitation with the radeon mobility mod tool here http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool/. It's what I had to do and it works perfectly

WARNING!

I've got an X1300 which was running happily with Catalyst 4.8 and ATI Tray Tools, and had standard ATI fog.

Updated to 7.12 and tried Dance With The Dead, which has thin fog. Everything went OK until after loading when the screen went solid light blue; I could see items in inventory but nothing else. Switched Fogging off - picture then as expected.

Repeated with Turn of the Tide - OK with Fogging off, light blue screen with green flecks racing across it with Fogging on.

Thank goodness for System Restore! The new driver is useless with my setup.

btw the installation process insisted on installing Steam along with the drivers.

Something sounds fishy with that, are you sure you didn't do something wrong? Did you select express/easy install or expert? Never do any express install, always choose expert, because you can control options, like NOT choosing the dumb Steam thing. Did you properly and fully Uninstall your existing video drivers first, then restart your sytem, and only THEN install the new drivers?

No, express, yes, yes, yes.

I followed the instructions on the web site to the letter. I selected express install because that was the recommended option.

It may be connected to the presence of ATI Tray Tools, because they were automatically uninstalled along with the Software Install Utility. I was also prompted that scan.msi was missing when I installed 7.12 - I had a copy of that file on an HP CD, and the installation procedure seemed happy with it.

When I have a few hours spare I'll try again, but uninstalling the Tray Tools first.
    Last edited by ffox; 21st Dec 2007 at 15:56.

it's also odd to use system restore rather than normally installing the previous drivers. With all the dlls flying all over the place it's better to do things straightforwardly than trusting anything to just happen right on it's own. I wouldn't count this experience as strong evidence that the new drivers don't work right. We need a couple others with x1300's to try (by doing a full uninstall first too)

N0000000000, i have a stupid Nvidia card... im so going to get an x1950 card just for Thief 2 xD

I've repeated the exercise. This time I uninstalled ATI Tray Tools first using the uninstall.exe in the Program folder. I then used the ATI - Software Uninstall Utility from Add/Remove Programs to remove the old drivers. It took much longer to complete this time before the reboot.

Then a Custom Installation of 7.12 - drivers and Catalyst Control Centre only. It took very much longer to come up to speed after the second reboot. Promising, I thought.

However, it still will not work properly with Fogging on. The picture was exactly the same as I described earlier. So System Restore to the rescue again.

On my system (XP, X1300) the 7.12 drivers do not work for Thief2 if Fogging is on AND there is fog in the mission. (It looks fine if the mission doesn't have fog or if Fogging is switched off.)

I'm going to assume it's being caused by the same problem that was plaguing me on my other system after playing around with tweak programs, which was that they were leaving variables in my registry and whatnot even after an uninstall. These were leaving me with all kinds of crazy fog and mipmap issues in other games, despite using completely different drivers. Point being that you should uninstall everything, then find and remove any last traces of the drivers, and then finally try to do another clean install.

Got it working on a 9600, after completely removing the old drivers, and tray tools. When uninstalling tray tools, there was a tick box to "delete all registry entries". Re installing the driver took agaes, but I guess worth the effort.

Whats a good FM to demonstrate "real" fog?

Dwelling Insanity and Swamped are both chock full of fog. The OM Life of the Party has more subtle fog.

Truly excellent news. I have real fog again! \o/

I wonder if this has anything to do with my re-reporting the bug to Catalyst Support a few months ago?

Does this latest driver release do anything for those poor chaps with HDXXXX cards and the crummy dithering? I know there is the DDFIX patch, but I understand that fog doesn't work with that...

I've got a 9600XT myself, so I get good rendering quality, but someday in the future, I'm going to upgrade, and I'd like to know what to expect!

Of course, I guess we should test whether the fog fix has allowed fog to work in Timeslips DDFIX patch... any takers?

I've tested the 7.12 driver on a vista 64-bit system. The fog looks very good, but when I read a book or when I go into the menu, the fog disappeared, every time. Has anybody an idea or solution?

Quick Update:

I removed the safe_texture_manager for testing purposes, and T2 has still remained stable. No black screens, error messages, or CTDs when reading books.
    My other system ran without safe_texture_manager enabled, but would CTD sometimes when reading a book.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose.MH View Post
    I've tested the 7.12 driver on a vista 64-bit system. The fog looks very good, but when I read a book or when I go into the menu, the fog disappeared, every time. Has anybody an idea or solution?
    Have you tried using different resolutions?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast