TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 16 of 329 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021263136414651566166116266 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW - T1/2 Dromed Edition

I've got another "too many brushes in level" error, but this isn't generating during optimising, it's when I try to go into game mode.

My habit of going into game mode after almost every little change has paid off, because it meant I only went one brush over the limit (7052 it seems).

Time for some more obsessive object count reduction
    There's a group of 5 trees near the starting point that cannot be reached, so I can merge them. I'll need to save a bit more than 5 objects because I'd rather have a bit more room for adding more.

Tragedy, oh tragedy of tragedies. I did the unthinkable, that which was warned of at the beginning of my tutorial but it happened so fast that it was unstoppable: Instead of selecting open, I selected save, and destroyed my mission. Come together and let us mourn the death of my first room. I'm so sad I don't know how I'll recpver from this

Now I'm going to make a backup of everything I do. The worst part will be having to make those bookshelves again.

My dimensions for them were: d=8.4 w=2.0 h= 12.8 u=25 v=3 scale=15. Is there a size I can use that will fit so I don't have to go through all the adjusting again? They are different for each bookcase.

I will make my room again. I'm just so sad after all that work

Whenever you save a mission over an existing one, DromEd backs up the existing mission file as backup.mis. (The same applies with backup.cow and backup.gam for cow files and gamesys files, respectively.)

Every time you portalise or optimise your mission, DromEd backs up the mission, in .cow format, to p_portal.cow. If you are using a mis+gam, you should load a previous save of your mission before loading the p_portal.cow, so that it will still be using the correct custom gamesys once you save it back to .mis format.

Mark these two points very well, as they will often save you a lot of pain when DromEd invariably crashes on you.

Oh, and also, make sure to make regular backups on different filenames. Sometimes I think that people are a little too paranoid in that regard around here, but it's not as though hard disk space isn't plentiful these days, so there's no real reason not to use a different filename every time you save, or at the least every DromEd session.

*Idly glances at Mayan422.mis*
    (Come to think of it, that's not that much, I have the remains of another mission that I barely started which was already up to 240.)

Ahhh ohhh... um...

I already started working on it again so the previous work is now over written in the backup, etc. oh well

I can see why you would save versions often, like perhaps if you were doing something led up to dromed crashing, that way you could go back to different points and things like that. I'm going to definately do that now. As for my little room, my wonderful little first room, may it rest in peace.

Gripper

Read the thread I started s couple of days ago.

Classical Master 2008
    Gripper: better now than after 500+ brushes placed, I say.

Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    I've got another "too many brushes in level" error,
    So far I've managed to recover 14 objects. I can think of around 10 more that I could recover. It's going to be a challenge to try minimising further object use while trying to implement the important scripting events.

I'm glad I'm already familiar with many of the custom scripts. Those are very good at minimising object use.
    Last edited by R Soul; 26th Feb 2008 at 18:30.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    ... Those are very good at minimising object use.
    I agree this! In my actual mission each chair and table and... I don't know what... yes, cabinets , is setted as a trap. This is a good manner for the saving objects counts.

In the last week I did nothing . Something went wrong in me. It since I have to rest the project a time ...

I am working on two missions right this momment. Part 2 and 3 of Defense Assassination.

Here's a screenshot of part 2 Defense Assassination ( working on a title for it):

look good! Although that moon is pretty yellow! I'd tone it down a bit unless there's a story reason for the colour!

Here's a few shots of the mission that is in my betatester's hands at the moment:

A view of the house from the roof:

The entrance hall:

Some city streets:

And while they're tearing it to pieces, I've started making a mission set in an ancient ruined city deep in the forest, totally overgrown with trees, plants and pagans! Here's a very early WIP shot:

Just playing Morggan's new FM which was kind of shelved but she finished it off. Total time 80 hours. Incredible. But it reminded me of my old T2 FM still on the shelf. It was only intended to be tiny and simple anyway, just a house interior with no special tricks and triggery. Just patrols and loot to find. It's only objectives would be loot and one or two special items to find. One concept I had was it was a Thieves' house where they've got loot stashed all over. (thinking about it maybe this unconsciously inspired Thief's Den.) I planned to come down a chimney in a cloud of soot upstairs. Main loot might be in the basement. But finding the time to finish it...

Having just finished TDM Thief's Den I am working on a new small simple TDM village-type FM, plus I have a large TDM tudor mansion 25% to 50% done on the shelf, plus I am working on TDM tutorials for the future so add RL and it's hard to find time. Anyways, here are my options...

1. Keep forgetting it until we are all turned to dust.
    2. Formally abandon it and pass it to the abandoned archive.
    3. Spend two to three months and finish it. Haha!
    4. Make an effort for a month (haha2) and try to basically finish it and invite someone else to take it over. This would probably involve taking over the management of it, formally setting up the objectives, organizing the zip archive (sorting out any Dedex custom stuff) getting it beta tested, probably even the readme.

The last option appeals most. Suggestions? Advice? Here's some screenies so you can see how plain it is. The last one is a plan view. Mmm... looks like I've already got beams everywhere. There are three floors about the same, basement, ground, and upper floor. The stairs to basement to and upper floor are in place. The main ground floor corridor is basically textured. The rest is stone.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    Here's a few shots of the mission that is in my betatester's hands at the moment:

A view of the house from the roof:
    You seriously need to do something about that distant art. It doesn't blend in with the physical buildings at all. Probably just shifting the tint more toward the yellow-brown end would fix it.

Why so huge pictures? The load times for me are so long...

Quote Originally Posted by MH.TheFreak View Post
    Why so huge pictures? The load times for me are so long...
    Sorry, didn't think - Now reduced by 50%.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    You seriously need to do something about that distant art. It doesn't blend in with the physical buildings at all. Probably just shifting the tint more toward the yellow-brown end would fix it.
    I've brightened up that screenshot so much that the mission lighting has virtually all gone, but the lighting is actually slightly blue-tinged. I'll have another look round ingame with your comments in mind though and consider changing it. Thanks!

Archivist
    Fidcal: my option preference would be 3, 4, 2.... and finally 1 (but I guess this counts for most taffers).
    Nice design!

The downside of moving to the Dark Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Fidcal View Post
    Sorry, didn't think - Now reduced by 50%.
    Many thanks!

Things have been going quite well lately, too well it seems, so now it's time for:
    Quote Originally Posted by DromEd
    ERROR: draw_surface: too many vertices.
    I've had errors before, but this time it's here to stay a while, it seems.
    I'm going to look into it tomorrow.

I'm listing all the errors I've had so far just for... eeeh... fun?:
    • Scene complexity too high.
      This is my favourite. It's right to the point and the easiest to solve.
    • Unable to find edge containing collision point.
      This occured once when I was building a bizarre stair in an underground cave (including dodecahedrons and weird angles).
    • PortalClipPolygonByPlane: Didn't find exactly two spanning points.
    • remove_poly_edge: edge not in poly list.
    • SplitPolyhedronByPlane: polyhedron didn't cross plane.
    • emit_vertex_list: Bad polygon.
    • draw_surface: too many vertices.
      This is definitely my least favourite, since it can occur in the most unpexected places.
      From what I've read about it, it also seems to be the hardest to solve.

So, what's your favourite error? And least favourite error?

PortalClipPolygonByPlane: Didn't find exactly two spanning points.
    I HATE this one. It means I have to rebuild a whole part of my mission without even knowing if it will work.

Scene complexity too high.
    My favourite one. Really easy to solve, not that bothering.

As you can see it's a happy mission. Also sorry for the bad graphics, I have an 8800gts.

Looks good to me Hipbreaker - atmospheric. Can't wait to explore feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by HipBreaker View Post
    As you can see it's a happy mission.
    Needs more fluffy bunnies.

Where are those damn Foofies when you need them?

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I just completed the first draft of the full plan for Death's Cold Embrace and sent it to Moghedian - 25 pages. If it survives her critique and then Peter's intact, there will be 15 scenes across 2 acts, spanning 9 actual missions. Thank goodness most of the brushwork was done years ago!

There is a TON of voicework planned, probably hundreds of lines altogether. I decided to go all out as this is the only huge campaign like this I'm ever going to do, at least in Dromed. So Sly, expect me to come calling this summer. And I'll need other voice actors too.

Page 16 of 329 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021263136414651566166116266 ... LastLast