TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW - T1/2 Dromed Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Tear View Post
    Just WOW looks awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Tannar View Post
    Video is not working for me. Couldn't download it either.
    Mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/download/2a...23_Puddles.mp4

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Very cool. A bit overly reflective for what I think should be dirty water though.
    Yes, it needs more fine-tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    Just WOW looks awesome!
    Gecko, thank you for your great textures

The puddles are awesome looking!

Damn, those puddles!

Nothing fancy, just a blurred long photo of my story arc and tech directive.
    https://i.imgur.com/LKoaqFi.png

Making the point that, while it was fun as hell to just build loosely I had to hunker down and make sure it all made good sense before I built any further. So I'm about 90% sure what the whole story is and about 60% is written in my arc.

I recommend doing this, breaking down the added and completed objectives like your writing a short story on what player does. It has color coded text so I know if it's a event/trigger ect. As well, it is broken into acts. Once this framework is complete, there is no forgetting the plot and gameplay mechanics. Of course I know a lot of you already do this, but wanted to share with new arrivals.

I also have a bulleted list in another doc that is a idea, or "what I want to experience and see", raw list. This prepares you to anticipate the mechanics needed to achieve all the effects you want, so you don't go back on your whole mission changing a special street light, because you already created the final street light ahead of time, there is nothing you feel is missing from it or the experience of the environment.

Happy building...

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I'm a huge fan of that planned approach. We have a large document for DCE which details the complete story arc and every mission, including all the objectives and what triggers or completes them, every line of every conversation, and details like where key objects are located, etc. We also have numerous supplemental docs for things like all the texts (filename, location of the readable, state of completion, etc.) and keys (list of all the keys per mission, including the object name string, model used, and Key Src ID). Tannar and I took the same approach with Waterfront Racket - we spent about 3 weeks discussing and detailing the story arc, and all the goals, conversations and movie plans, before we ever opened Dromed. I can't imagine just winging it through a large project without good documentation, but then I also write documentation for a living so it's in my blood.

That makes a lot of sense and I wished I had done something similar to document things. I think I did an ok job with LS5 Part 2 but one thing I had more trouble with than anything else was locating conversation markers and similar objects. I tend to make a mess out of my marker-based object layout even though I try to keep related objects near the point that they are used at.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    I always that query-feature to search things. This is a very powerful function.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I tend to make important things like conversations larger than other fnords, and arrange them sequentially from left to right (in top view of course) near where the actors or other related objects are, in the order they're triggered. I will often put the NVRelayOnceNoOff which triggers the convo inside of it, and will also make RATs large and put the things that trigger them around or inside of them as well. I also take the time to name virtually every scripting-related object. Part of that is my OCD, but it's also helpful, because when you're looking at an object's links it's very useful to know what the 5 relays it links to actually are without having to follow the links.

I'll have to do that next time because I spent so much time tracing linked objects every time I needed to tweek something or rework a conversation.

I was inspired by skacky's announcement to work more on my mission today. Here's what I came up with:

Are the curtains floating in the air, or attached to the ceiling? You planning to add a bed there? Looks kinda weird like this.

The story called for a cathedral, so I made one.

Nice! I like that wall texture.

Master Builder 2018
    That's looking good, Dev_Anj.

Rob, that's quite lovely!

This is the starting point of the mission I'm currently working on:

Yep, the only way to go is through the well...

Random_Taffer, woah! That's impressive and gorgeous one.
    JarlFrank, looks very interesting, but as I think myself, the roof will need a platform before the wedge brush... That's just my thought only, but keep going!

Quote Originally Posted by JarlFrank View Post
    Are the curtains floating in the air, or attached to the ceiling? You planning to add a bed there? Looks kinda weird like this.
    Hah yeah, I should have added a rod to hang the curtains on. I will do it now.

I've seen a bit of your mission already, but regardless, that's neat looking. You have a very nice selection of textures there.

Looking fantastic all!

Since everyone is sharing their work, I wanna be part of the fun as well. It's nice to see new dromeders around when people like myself are getting lazier and lazier. Here's what I've come up with in the last few months.

It's gonna be a long while for the last missions of my campaign to be finished but I'll eventually make it!
    Last edited by DarkMax; 11th Apr 2016 at 15:18.

Well that looks pretty damn interesting, DarkMax. I love a good outdoors mission.

Those do look interesting though I think the sky could be a bit darker. So is that mission going to be the last part of the Darkstone Gem Mine series?

Quote Originally Posted by Dev_Anj View Post
    Those do look interesting though I think the sky could be a bit darker. So is that mission going to be the last part of the Darkstone Gem Mine series?
    The first of the last three, actually.

It looks pretty good, gives me strong Cragscleft vibes - at least the mine part of Cragscleft. Also slightly reminds me of the first mission in the Gems of Provenance FM campaign, with its combination of mine and crypt.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMax View Post
    It's gonna be a long while for the last missions of my campaign to be finished but I'll eventually make it!
    Judging by those screenshots, it will be totally worth the wait!

Page 265 of 333 FirstFirst ... 15165215220225230235240245250255260261262263264265266267268269270275280285290295300305310315 ... LastLast