TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 51 of 330 FirstFirst ... 61116212631364146474849505152535455566166717681869196101151301 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 8240

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW - T1/2 Dromed Edition

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    It's actually a sequel/remake of that mission (it's the same basic plot, but a whole new mission, sort of like Tomb Raider Anniversary or Evil Dead 2. There really should be a word for that. Hmm...)
    reduex?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Nightfall View Post
    Well. Hit the cell limit. Crap.
    I'm convinced that he's making trying to make that cathedral in DromEd.

The Architect
    Incorrect!

A library?

ZylonBane
    Very small rocks?

The Architect
    ZylonBane has guessed correctly.

Make them out of objects

The Architect
    I am considering making the entire mission out of objects.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Sent voice scripts out to three of the voice actors for DCE today. Too bad there hasn't been time for much else.

Is there any way to reduce cell count? Is there something we should be keeping a look out for? . . .you're freakin me out.

The Architect
    Yes, you need to reduce or somehow optimise the complexity of your terrain geometry. Or, you could just delete areas of the mission.

(In my case I am going to try to replace some of the more complex geometry that the player can't actually get close to with objects.)

I'm not sure if this helps at all but if you're using a lot of cylinders/pyramids the "grid_snap 1" command is great for getting vertices lined up. Personally I think it's an underrated command and is one of my most used hot-keys.

Bit of a shot in the dark there - but I hope it helps!

In addition to bug-fixing From Beneath the Sands Redux ( thanks Schwaa) I've begun watering the tiny seed of a mind-boggling four-mission spectacular. It's gonna be epic.

\O/

Incidentally, what is the general opinion on multi-mission packs? Should I finish and release mission 1, then mission 2 etc, or finish all missions and release it as a full pack at the end? I realise the choice is ultimately mine and depends on the plot etc, but just wondering about popular opinion.

The Architect
    Popular opinion is for the author to do what he or she wants. This IS the editor's forum, after all!

And it looks like I may be taking a hiatus from dromed now.

NO! GET BACK TO WORK!

Nick, I personally prefer getting the complete campaign at once. I think many players never replay a mission, even if you say in the readme "This is part 2, you should play part 1 first to refresh your memory" etc. That only gets amplified with 3, 4 or more missions. So player enjoyment is maximized by playing all in sequence, they can follow the story better.

Something else to consider is that once you release a mission, it's out there, and if while making a later mission you encounter something story-wise that makes you wish you had done something different in the earlier mission, you can't go back and so have to make a compromise. Sure, you can change the first mission and re-release it with the later mission but then you're expecting players to replay it etc. I just think it's simpler and gives you the most flexibility and creative control to keep it together. It just makes it hard to wait and sit on completed missions while you finish the others...

Hey, I think we all love big packs but then we all know how much work it is to push one decent mission out the door let alone four! If you are talking about four different maps, one at a time might be best.

To add some contrast, my next big mission will be three missions taking place over three consecutive nights. The plan is a VERY small map for night one to set up the story, a big map for night two where Garrett does reconnaissance and the same map again for the actual job which will be timed. At least that's the plan. Most of the brush work is done so all that is left is to bring the maps to life. (That's the part I'm the worst at! )

All very good points. Hmm, I think it will be best for this particular pack to hold it and release it at the end. Mainly because the story will be very much tied throughout all four missions, so forgetting part one will make the later parts somewhat confusing.

As for the hard work part, I learned my lesson on that from Memoirs of a Dead God. I finished Part One, and then totally lost all motivation for part two. Took me about a year longer than it should have done. The reason was that when I finished the first part, it felt like I had finished properly and I couldn't bring myself to do the grunt work on part two! I think the way to counter this is to do stepwise refinement for all four missions at once (i.e. do architecture for all 4, then objects, room brushes etc.), so I'm always working on four missions and can switch between them if motivation sags.

Still, I'm getting ahead of myself here - still got Whispers in the Desert (that's the official name) to finish!

Sounds great. Moghedian and I are dragging on DCE a bit, but that's because we're still trying to polish up the base missions. In our case, we have 9 missions but they're built off of only 3 bases (4 actually, but 2 of those are variations of the same one). The bases will have all architecture and non-loot objects intact, patrols in place, etc. but no AI or loot, or of course scripted stuff. Then once the bases are stamped in gold, we'll start with mission 1 and she's gonna go through and place the loot, objects and AI, then hand me the mission to script objectives, conversations and cutscenes. So I'll be running behind her on each mission doing the behind-the-scenes stuff. Hopefully it will work out that way and neither of us will burn out on our half of each mission - it will help that 2 of the 9 are mostly camvator/cutscene only.

Less talk more screenshot:

Love the lamps and the doors!

Following suit:

(The sign is a placeholder until I get a proper object in; it will be wrought iron and so will read reverse from behind as you'd expect and won't have the background.)

Very nice.

Ah, now I understand Death's Cold Embrace! Looking good Yandros and R Soul!

Very nice Yandros! It would look even better if you added some snow to the base of the wall just like the guard post has. Not much though, just a little .

Page 51 of 330 FirstFirst ... 61116212631364146474849505152535455566166717681869196101151301 ... LastLast