TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NOW you tell me!

ZylonBane

NOW you tell me!

In DromEd, seems like there's two ways to do everything-- the obvious difficult way, and the hidden easier way. This thread is dedicated to those things you wish you'd learned before sinking dozens of hours into doing it the hard way. I, for starters, wish I'd known earlier...

That you can freely adjust any of an object's values by click-holding on the label and sweeping the mouse left and right.

That you can shift-click in the right pane to drag objects around.

About the uvmap_cylinder command that NewDark added for perfectly wrapping a texture around a cylinder.

About link_draw_on for visualizing elevator paths, etc. (really wish that was included in the DromEd menus).

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    That you can freely adjust any of an object's values by click-holding on the label and sweeping the mouse left and right.

That you can shift-click in the right pane to drag objects around.
    This is very handy for brushes too, as it snaps to grid always after draging.

Also, Ctrl + drag to resize brushes quickly.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by gigagooga View Post
    This is very handy for brushes too, as it snaps to grid always after draging.
    Only if you have "Use" activated.

Interesting, never heard of the link_draw_on command before.

There's some new(confirm?) stuff from NewDark's documentation:

The mouse wheel can be used on all value controls in the editor main window (like the X Y Z controls or brush Op).

In solo-view for a 2D viewport, the context menu has a new "scroll here" command which can be used to pan around
    like with "teleport camera" in un-solo mode, except it doesn't affect the camera position.

Holding down CTRL while clicking in a 2D viewport will use an alternative selection mode (aka precision-selection).
    In this mode you have to click ON a brush edge to select it, and if multiple brushes are overlapping on a point,
    clicking multiple times will cycle through each brush in that point. This allows easier selection in dense
    locations without having to resort to filters or cumbersome cycle_near functionality. There are config vars to
    configure the pixel tolerance of what constitutes ON an edge ("selection_pixel_margin"), and to make precision-
    selection the default selection mode ("precision_select_default).

When assigning textures to surfaces in a solid view 3D viewport (while the texture palette is open), holding down
    SHIFT will assign a -1 texture id to the surface, so the brush default texture is used.

A native mono console window can be enabled with the config var "mono_console". There are optional parameters
    to specify size and position of the window, see "new_config_vars.txt" for details.

There's an "lcolor_picker" command which opens a color picker dialog that outputs hue/saturation vals, that can be
    used to set light color. For brush lights it's also possible to directly pick a color from the dialog by clicking
    on the "Type:Omni" button.
    I already went ahead and modified my menus file to include the lcolor_picker. Also, I just discovered that clicking on a surface in the 3d viewport while the texture palette is open allows you to apply a texture that you've selected. Of course, you can always right-click on a texture and apply to surface, but this is just yet another way to deal with textures.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    Also, I just discovered that clicking on a surface in the 3d viewport while the texture palette is open allows you to apply a texture that you've selected.
    This is the most rapid way I've found to retexture surfaces-- click a nearby surface with the texture I want (which selects it in the palette), F7 to pop open the palette, then click away at all the surfaces I want to apply it to.

I just discovered that clicking on a surface in the 3d viewport while the texture palette is open allows you to apply a texture that you've selected. Of course, you can always right-click on a texture and apply to surface, but this is just yet another way to deal with textures.
    How did you do it before?

I think it's not the first time that such a thread got started but theres always to much bla bla inside - just like I did. Such a topic is great you can always learn new stuff but with to much OffTopic it becomes a pain in the ass.
    Keeping out posts down to the essentials or if Zylon wants to collect everything in the first post would be a great idea to read everything much faster.

----------------

•Accurate Movements:
    With the < and > key you can define the standard movement step when using your numpad lowest 0.125 -> 0.25 -> 0.5 -> 1 -> 2 -> 4 ->...

When you go with the mouse over the value you want to adjust you can change it with the mouse wheel by 0.01 steps. Same method works for every field like changing texture id, UV-Movements and scaling

•with Ctrl+Ins you can insert the currently selected brush type - most usefull for objects- directly in the center of the currently selected brush

•Knowledge: Since 1.19 .STR (Text files) get reloaded every time they are opened means you can enter game mode, alt+tab edit the textfile and then reopen the book and the new text will appear.

•Ctrl+D will dissolve the current multibrush. Useful when you are having problems with multi brush selection like not everything or to much gets selected

•Ctrl + click circles though brushes which are overlapping in the 2D port at the same edge

•Check your dromed.cfg NewDark implemented new features to improve the dromed window.

•Know your weapons:

(Klick for fullscreen)
    Last edited by Daraan; 20th Aug 2013 at 19:21.

The command line help command ("help") will list all the command line commands to mono.

"help command_name" will list specific information about the command "command_name" to mono.

in fact, "help text_string" will list specific information about all commands containing "text_string" in their command name to mono.

For example, "help help" writes the following to mono:
    Code:
    help (string function): shows command info
    Another example, "help link_draw_on" lets you know that you can have DromEd draw a specified link flavor between objects (Though how you turn it off ... well, maybe there's another command for that?)
    Code:
    link_draw_on (string function): show a kind of link in wireframe

link_draw_off flavour

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    The command line help command ("help") will list all the command line commands to mono.
    I'd file this under the "obvious, difficult" way to get any useful info about DromEd.

Quote Originally Posted by Daraan
    How did you do it before?
    I've always just cycled through textures in dromed (at least with dromed 1.18) with the < and > at the bottom of the screen. Also, for selecting which surface, I would use the cycling of which face I wanted to apply it to.

That carried over to NewDark for me, except I would double-click a face in the new texture palette to apply it. With this new method, all I have to do now is select a texture in the palette and click the surface. So nice.

•command dattach_link FROM TO will create or update a DetailAttachment link between the two objects based on their current position. (Easier ParticleAttachement)

•Old thread Tips'n Tricks

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    With this new method, all I have to do now is select a texture in the palette and click the surface. So nice.
    I assume you mean "new to me", since I've always done it that way. I can't imagine texturing an entire mission doing the way you used to!

No. Are you telling me that was always available even before NewDark?

I assumed it was a NewDark feature to select a surface in 3d view and apply with the mouse.

Yes, it's an original feature. It's mentioned in the original tutorial, and in Komag's version.

If you have a brush highlighted but no surfaces selected you can change all facings at the same time by cycling through the textures at the bottom of the dromed window.

I have noticed that cycling through textures by clicking on the < and > or simply clicking on Texture and dragging the mouse it does not cycle in the same order that they appear in the texture window.

The problem with applying textures direct to a face is it overrides the -1 inheritance from the object's default texture. Wherever possible, especially when working with cylinders or dodecahedrons, I'll just reset the brush, change the Default texture, and not have to worry about a sliver of a face being missed and having the wrong texture.

NewDark 64³ Contest Winner
    nicked, by clicking the Reset button at the middle bottom of Dromed (just to the right of Create: Brush, Light, Area, etc) after applying a texture, it sets that texture as the default and all the other sides get the -1 inheritence. It also applies that texture to every other side. That's the quick way I texture brushes: texture one face of every brush, and then go through and click reset on them all. Doesn't work everywhere obviously, but it's handy most of the time and keeps the brushes nice and neat.

Another thing I do is setup a conversation marker and actor right at the start, and then just copy the marker around, so whenever I need a conversation it's no hassle.

I also make good use of the Link Group CD and Link Group AI Patrol under the tools menu.

That uvmap_cylinder command is very good indeed. The new texture Align introduced with ND saves a lot of time when trying to align/scale textures and you can seamlessly texture complex architecture easily with it.

ZylonBane
    Someone please tell me there's a keyboard shortcut for zooming in/out of the Top pane.

Are you using the "1 top, 3 bottom" view? You can zoom all of the wireframe views with +/- keys. The solid view window (in any of the view configurations) reflects your position in three-space. You just move where you are to see something closer. I don't think you can zoom the solid view window. It represents the player's POV.

ref. http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post2207392 for the full keyboard map of shortcuts.
    Last edited by LarryG; 21st Aug 2013 at 19:12. Reason: all instead of any

+/- zooms the three wireframe views simultaneously. You can also hold the right mouse button and select zoom in/out for that specific pane.

Another note about uvmap_cylinder: as of 1.20, it can also be used for pyramids. Although the wrap won't be seamless, of course, it's still useful.

Here's one that I've been using recently: an easy way to get a list of all the instances of an archetype in a mission. Since all concrete objects have the Position property, just select the archetype in the Object Hierarchy window and use the new Query tool to search for the Position property. (There will be noise from any child archetypes that also have it set, but since it's a tree those are easy to ignore. There's an easy way to wipe out all those superfluous Position properties on all archetypes, but since they keep coming back when certain other properties are edited, it doesn't help that much.)

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    +/- zooms the three wireframe views simultaneously.
    NOW you tell me! For 12 years now it's been rightclick-Zoom Out or Zoom In. SO MANY MOUSE CLICKS wasted...

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    Same here. The keyboard picture posted by Daraan will be very useful, I discovered some shortcuts from it. Gotta build faster.

No one mentioned the auto-read-mind and build mission key!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast