TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 20 1234561116 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Mod: Alpha Tech Demo: AVAILABLE NOW!

The Dark Mod: Alpha Tech Demo: AVAILABLE NOW!

Broken Glass Studios is proud to present Thief's Den, a short alpha demo of The Dark Mod. Thief's Den is just a few rooms but it is a complete, fully playable mission, and includes a good selection of the main Dark Mod features. Keep in mind that The Dark Mod is still a work in progress and this is reflected in the demo. Voices are temporary placeholders, for example, and AI behaviour is not yet fully developed. You will certainly find bugs and glitches but we hope that doesn't spoil your enjoyment too much.

Any flaws or failings in this demo do not necessarily indicate limitations in The Dark Mod's potential but just this particular demo which was originally begun as a very rough accompaniment to a mission development tutorial. It was never intended for release as a playable mission but was modified into a workable game so everyone could see the current state of progress and have some fun.

Instructions for installing the alpha can be found here.

http://modetwo.net/darkmod/wiki/index.php/Thief%27s_Den

Further gameplay info

http://modetwo.net/darkmod/wiki/inde...s_Den_Gameplay

Dark Radiant info, for anyone who is smitten and would like to look into TDM mapping.
    http://modetwo.net/darkmod/wiki/index.php/DarkRadiant

Beginners Guide:
    http://modetwo.net/darkmod/wiki/inde..._Start_Here%21

Without further delay, here are the links!

http://www.shadowdarkkeep.com/missio...s_den_v1.0.exe
    http://bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/
    http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/rel...s_den_v1.0.exe
    http://www.southquarter.com/fms/data...s_den_v1.0.exe

Torrent:
    http://bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub....0.exe.torrent
    Last edited by New Horizon; 18th Jan 2008 at 10:15. Reason: Update

The Architect
    Would this be a good time to start posting the cheapest places one could get a copy of Doom 3? Can you get it for less than $10 these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Nightfall View Post
    Would this be a good time to start posting the cheapest places one could get a copy of Doom 3? Can you get it for less than $10 these days?
    This would be a very good time. Ha ha. Not sure about the price, but I'm sure it can be bought pretty cheap.

Could the holidays get any better? YES! Happy Happy Joy Joy Happy Happy Joy....

You guys are awesome, I CANNOT wait! This is great news. Man.......

Wow, this is good news indeed. Thanks and congratulations to the Dark Mod Squad.

did I just do that?

A search on completed auctions on eBay.com ( http://search-completed.ebay.com/sea...fsoo%3D1&fgtp= ) reveals that Doom 3 usually sells for $8-20 shipped. The $15-$20 range is the new copies, used copies go for the lower end of the range. A few lucky winners got theirs for under $8 but it's VERY rare. Expect to be able to easily get it for around $12 shipped.

On Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...8868023&sr=8-1) you can get it used for as low as $11 shipped.

On Half.com (http://product.half.ebay.com/Doom-3_...83316QQtgZinfo) you can get it for as low as $9 shipped.

Buying Doom 3 used works just fine. There is the small possibility that the seller will continue to play it online with the CD key, so you might try to play online and get the message that "CD in use" or something similar. But this is EXTREMELY unlikely because Doom 3's multiplayer is lousy and no one plays it, including you probably. So, for The Dark Mod, an old used copy of Doom 3 will be completely okay.
    Last edited by Shadak; 28th Dec 2007 at 15:00.

Sweet. You gonna fire up a torrent up for this?

Btw, do you need to patch doom3 to 1.3, or will that break stuff?

You'll need patched to 1.3.1.4 ? I think that's it, it ends in 4 and there are 2 1.3.1 patches out there. We have link to correct one on the Darkmod Instal Wiki.

Bottom of that page.

Quote Originally Posted by New Horizon View Post
    The tentative release date is January 15th, 2008. Please keep in mind that this date could change if we do not deem the release 'stable'.
    No, you can't change it coz it's my birthday

Here we go...

Excellent.

I think its time I make some inquiries into where a heretic like me can get a copy of Doom3.

For any USA taffers, Best Buy (if you have one in your city or state) still sells brand new copies for 19.99$

Also, I would rather buy from Amazon than ebay, I'd recommend Amazon over ebay personally.

Clearinghouse
    Good news

Well, about time to grab Doom 3.

Still Subjective
    You can get Doom3 for under 10 in the UK from a few places. I got mine from GAME and they do lots of 2 for 10, 15 etc. There's bound to be something else you want in there! (Think I got Doom3 and Far Cry )

I highly recommend playing Doom3 to the end when you get it as well guys. It may not be your sort of game (it's not mine) but you get to see what the engine is capable of and it's pretty impressive, and the later levels really give you a flavour of what a TDM mission might be like.

I'd like to emphasise this is a tiny demo of a few rooms - completely playable with story, objectives, and completeable, and I packed in as many features as I could. BUT it is tiny. I just didn't want people to be disappointed expecting a 'small mission' in the T2 sense. I can ghost through it without rushing in 15 or 20 minutes I guess - but then I know where everything is! If you've not played a Dark Mod mission then you should have fun for longer than that, taking your time and looking at all the cool stuff and getting the hang of the controls and the play style. Then no doubt replay to examine stuff again.

How's the performance? I played a mod (Serengrove) that had fairly rough streets and houses and got around 5fps average. Granted, my PC isn't exactly a powerhouse (p4 3.0ghz, gf6600), but I wonder if I'll be able to run TDM at all?

denisv,
    On your machine you should probably get 25-30 FPS. Hard to say as I haven't checked the FPS numbers myself. But my comp specs are pretty close to yours and it runs smoothly for me.

Deffinately not anywhere near 5 fps.

Yeah, my own system is only an Athlon XP 2800+, 1gig ram, and a geforce 5200fx. I have a 6800 sitting in a box, but the new 500 watt power supply I bought was defective and burned out in a month for no reason. Grrrr. Haven't had the cash to replace it. With the 5200, I can play all the maps with settings turned down, but with the 6800...I had smooth play onpretty much the highest doom 3 settings. Your card isn't that much lower, so I would say you should be able to play TDM maps reasonably well with the right settings.

bikerdude
    As homer would say

WOOOoooHOOOooo...!!!

cant wait

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Nightfall View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    You can get Doom3 for under 10 in the UK from a few places. I got mine from GAME and they do lots of 2 for 10, 15 etc. There's bound to be something else you want in there! (Think I got Doom3 and Far Cry ) .
    It can be had mere 1-5 here in the UK

Ebay.co.uk
    play.com
    game.co.uk - 2 for 10 Doom3 and T1/T2(combo dvd)

etc

Quote Originally Posted by denisv View Post
    How's the performance? I played a mod (Serengrove) that had fairly rough streets and houses and got around 5fps average. Granted, my PC isn't exactly a powerhouse (p4 3.0ghz, gf6600), but I wonder if I'll be able to run TDM at all?
    Serengrove, although cool (except for the godawful voiceover!), was completely and somewhat needlessly un-optimized. It's not a matter of "will your PC run TDM" (it will, because even low end PCs nowadays can run Doom 3), but just a matter of whether individual TDM authors do a good job of optimizing their maps on a case-by-case basis.

Also, I noticed that during some tests I had run on a map of my own the largest performance drain of the settings was resolution.

This is things like shadows On/Off; anti-aliasing 2x, 4x, 16x; ect...

If I ran at 800x600 I got somewhere around 45-60 FPS, if I ran at 1024x768 I was close to 30 FPS, if I ran at 1280x960 (?) I was getting around 22 FPS.
    That was my own map not Fidcals, changing anti-aliasing from 0 to 16x maybe changed framerate 1 FPS. Same with shadows.

I have an old gforce FX5900. The worst framerate I get in Thief's Den is maybe 15fps but I have 1024 x 768 res set and all settings ON except anti-aliasing so I can squeeze a little better if I wanted but I'm happy with that. I mostly get 20 to 30fps. My feeling is that users with lower-end machines will tend to be used to lower performance. I've been playing the start area outside of Seven Sisters. I didn't have fps showing but I could tell it was smoother - but Den has FAR more detail so you get more value imo for your power.

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    Also, I would rather buy from Amazon than ebay, I'd recommend Amazon over ebay personally.
    Definitely! The prize is about the same, and you get it (almost) instantly, instead of waiting for seven days just to realize you didn't make it. And if something happens you can be sure to get a full money refund if you have to return it.

Quote Originally Posted by denisv View Post
    Well, we will see how the performance is. So far we have only seen performance on our developers machines, so we have no clue as to how it perform in the wild.

Of course, our developers have a wide range of machines, from crappy to high-end, so I think it should be safe to say that it will work on most machines who will download it. Also keep in mind that this is a tiny machine, so you can not compare it to a full blown mission which is huge.

Just to ward off unrealistic expectations, please remember that we are at least a year away from a beta-release. While this map is fully playable, lots of things in it are placeholders (the voices, many animations, etc) or WIP (like AI behaviour). It is likely that there will be all kinds of forseen and unforseen bugs as well.

That said, the map is chock-full of atmosphere and is a great taste of what TDM will be capable of.

Page 1 of 20 1234561116 ... LastLast