TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: The Thief Enhancement Pack

This is a generic DarkInst.cfg that should work in most standard installs of Thief 2:
    Code:
    install_path .
    language english
    resname_base .\EP+.\Res\Patch+.\Res
    load_path .
    script_module_path .
    movie_path .\movies

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    I have to ask, why use Darkinst.cfg instead of install.cfg? Thief 2 has one of those too.
    Thief 2 uses DarkInst.cfg. Install.cfg is present, but ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by theBlackman View Post
    Sneaksie, and Nameless,
    I can't/won't post the .CFG as my editing changes the system to No CD, which same is not allowed in the forums as information.
    Thief 1 doesn't even have copy protection, I can't imagine anyone complaining about posting a .cfg file.
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 2nd Jan 2008 at 09:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    No, because a painting is an object, not world texture.

Look at it like this, the Dark Engine references world textures from their top-right corner, and with a scale factor.

If you have a window texture that is 64x128, and you upgrade it to 128x256, then the window will 'grow', anchored from the top-left corner, so that the upper-left 64x128 of the new image will occupy the same space as the entire 64x128 texture did, and the remainder of the texture will 'spill over' into the surrounding space. So, if the original texture took up 2x4 units, the new texture would take up 4x8 units at the same scale factor. Its scale factor would need to be reduced to make it occupy the same space as the lower resolution texture.
    Shows what I know, I thought paintings were textures. Last question, and if I still don't have it by then I'll just pretend that I do and be quiet about it.

If I understood what someone said before, the detail of the texture isn't simply in the size of the texture, right? So couldn't you make the small texture detailed at its current size? If this has something to do with pallet size, isn't there a universally understood size everyone should be using that only a few FM's didn't? So in your example, instead of making a 128 X 256 replacement texture for the window, why not make a 64 X 128 high res replacement instead? (I guess what I am trying to say, is why not replace apples with apples) Keep in mind I am only talking about the original game textures (This would update the current game and all fms that used original textures) but I can see how this might not be how it works.

Thanks for the explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Huckeye View Post
    So in your example, instead of making a 128 X 256 replacement texture for the window, why not make a 64 X 128 high res replacement instead?
    Because 64x128 isn't high res? It's the same resolution as the original. That's the size of the image in pixels. 64 pixels by 128 pixels is 64 pixels by 128 pixels, no matter which way you look at it.

He's getting confused, I'm assuming he meant "high-res" as in, recreate the same size texture but with a higher bit depth (more colours). Am I right?

That's certainly possible right?

Quote Originally Posted by NV
    Thief 2 uses DarkInst.cfg. Install.cfg is present, but ignored.
    Interesting, didn't know that. I thought it would use install.cfg. Heh.
    oh, and why does your version have the word "patch" in there? All I have is resname_base .\EP+C:\games\Thief2\res+E:\thief2 Just wondering why mine is so simple but so different from others.

Quote Originally Posted by theblackman
    I fixed them by removing EP and then re-installing.
    So you made the EP work after re-installing both thief games? Or did you mean that you removed the EP, and then re-installed the EP?

I can't/won't post the .CFG as my editing changes the system to No CD, which same is not allowed in the forums as information.
    Understandable.

I did a automatic install, then tweaked both manually, using the updated >2.Zip, and they both crashed to black screen.

TMA is working well at the moment, but I need to run a couple of FMs I know intimately to double check.
    So you did an automatic install of EP, then tweaked manually, and it caused both games to crash to a black screen? Is that correct? But now I'm confused, the next thing you say is that TMA works well but you just said they both crashed.

oh, and why does your version have the word "patch" in there? All I have is resname_base .\EP+C:\games\Thief2\res+E:\thief2 Just wondering why mine is so simple but so different from others.
    I explained that here.
    If you don't move the patch .crfs out of the root of the Thief2 folder, as I have done, then having any custom content installed directly - for example to the /obj/ folder - will make the appropriate .crf (obj.crf in this case) be ignored by the game.
    The EP will not cause this to happen because it is packaged into a crf, but installing your own custom content into the folders will.

He's getting confused, I'm assuming he meant "high-res" as in, recreate the same size texture but with a higher bit depth (more colours). Am I right?

That's certainly possible right?
    Yeah, that's what I meant. I assume the purtiness comes from the bit depth and not the actual size of the image. Thanks.

To some extent, yes; but there's not much you can do with 64x64 textures. There's just not enough resolution for any decent image quality.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Huckeye View Post
    Yeah, that's what I meant. I assume the purtiness comes from the bit depth and not the actual size of the image. Thanks.
    To some extent, yes; but there's not much you can do with 64x64 textures. There's just not enough resolution for any decent image quality.
    I wasn't aware that you can use anything other than 8-bit images (256 colours) for terrain textures. Did I miss something somewhere?

I was referring to the fact that a lot of the textures use the original T1 palette, especially (unsurprisngly) all the textures from Thief 1 / Gold.

Thanks! I actually think I do understand now.

Oh, I get it now, sorry NV.

Quote Originally Posted by NV
    The EP will not cause this to happen because it is packaged into a crf, but installing your own custom content into the folders will.
    That is exactly what is happening right now, in Thief Gold I have daemonite's sword texture instead of yours, except that the rotating sword icon is the new object texture.

[edit]
    I dont understand what's going on... I have to basically rename my mesh, motions, and obj folder just to get the sword to work from the Enhancement Project in Thief 1. (But the arm model is all screwed up with the new EP sword, like pictured in EvaUnit's screenshot above Something screwy happened to the arm model.) I don't have anything in obj under txt16 except for the blood from thief 2. And the MESH folder I have, I have a HIPOLY folder, a TXT16 folder, and a TXT folder. Now let me get this strait; The arm model composes of armsw2.cal and armsw2.bin as well as armsw2.tga? (at least in this case, i'm using the tga texture)
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 2nd Jan 2008 at 13:33.

1937-2018
    Gone, but not forgotten

So you made the EP work after re-installing both thief games? Or did you mean that you removed the EP, and then re-installed the EP?

I removed EP. Then re-installed the games (TDP and GOLD).

So you did an automatic install of EP, then tweaked manually, and it caused both games to crash to a black screen? Is that correct? But now I'm confused, the next thing you say is that TMA works well but you just said they both crashed.

What I said was that TDP and GOLD crashed. The autobat for TDP and GOLD was the wrong one. I did the auto install. When NV corrected the autobat I DL'd it, and, as advised I did a manual fix. HOWEVER, both the first, and the second versions of the EP as given, crashed TDP and GOLD

TMA worked with the autobat installation and has, as yet, given me no problems.

However, I'll not be trying to use it for TDP/GOLD for a while. I would rather live with the games as they are than do a fix everytime I try an update.

I don't quite understand what there is to fix?
    The installer only modifies two files for Thief 1 / Gold, Install.cfg and Dark.cfg, both of which are backed up automatically. Simply restoring those two files should undo any damage the installer may have done?

If the installer breaks the game, then just restore the backups and do a manual install. I'm fairly confident that there's nothing in the EP itself that could crash your game; only a potential for the installer to break things.

1937-2018
    Gone, but not forgotten

I don't quite understand what there is to fix?
    The installer only modifies two files for Thief 1 / Gold, Install.cfg and Dark.cfg, both of which are backed up automatically. Simply restoring those two files should undo any damage the installer may have done?

If the installer breaks the game, then just restore the backups and do a manual install. I'm fairly confident that there's nothing in the EP itself that could crash your game; only a potential for the installer to break things.
    I understand, and have no arguement. All I can say is that until I installed the EP, both games worked as stand-alone, and through Darkloader.

After the installation of EP, and the correction with the updated file you posted, both would crash to black, no matter how I tried to run them.

So, following your instructions I removed the EP files. The games still crashed. I reinstalled the "GAME" files (I did not do a full from disc install), and things are now back to normal.

To answer the question I hear coming, "GAME" files means I merely copied the Game files from the disc(s) into my existing TDP and GOLD folder.

After doing a bit of poking around, it seems that whenever the installer rewrote the variables in darkinst, the path directions didn't point to the relevant directories. Thief 2 has another file named inst that reflects the initial, pre-update variables, and using it as a guide, got things working again (savegames only). Just to be safe, I did a complete re-install to make sure nothing else was the problem, but by then the EP zip had vanished. Is it still hosted somewhere?

What about all the download links in the first post?

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Oh, I get it now, sorry NV.

That is exactly what is happening right now, in Thief Gold I have daemonite's sword texture instead of yours, except that the rotating sword icon is the new object texture.

[edit]
    I dont understand what's going on... I have to basically rename my mesh, motions, and obj folder just to get the sword to work from the Enhancement Project in Thief 1. (But the arm model is all screwed up with the new EP sword, like pictured in EvaUnit's screenshot above Something screwy happened to the arm model.) I don't have anything in obj under txt16 except for the blood from thief 2. And the MESH folder I have, I have a HIPOLY folder, a TXT16 folder, and a TXT folder. Now let me get this strait; The arm model composes of armsw2.cal and armsw2.bin as well as armsw2.tga? (at least in this case, i'm using the tga texture)
    1. Put the original daemonite zip file (ie dtmp10_tga.zip) into your Thief directory.
    2. Rename the zip to crf.
    3. Open up install.cfg and add daemonite's to your resname_base AFTER \.EP.
    Eg resname_base .\EP\Thief1+.\EP+.\dtmp10_tga\+e:\Thief ...
    EP has to override daemonite's pack.

4. Save the edits to install.cfg.

If that's too complicated for you, just ignore the first two steps and move the files for Daemonite's pack into a folder named 'dtmp10_tga' instead, then proceed with step 3.

@Nameless Voice:

re quote from readme.txt:
    Note: if you are installing to Thief 1, make sure to 'optimise' your install with DarkLoader to make the game FM-ready before installing the Enhancement Pack.
    what exactly does this 'optimisation' in DL do? I'd like to be able to do it manually, without DL and besides, to know what's going on behind the scenes. Also, which games need this 'optimisation': only T1 (not Gold), or TG needs it, too? What about T2 - is it 'optimised' from scratch?

re T2: if I move .crf's from 1.18 out of game root folder, can I have *unpacked* custom content in say [game_root]\Obj\* (like *.gif's etc) and patch *.crf's will still be read?

If I understand well, these patch *.crf's in game root dirs are *also* NOT read when playing FM's now (if not moved out somewhere else)? What is whole read/override order by the game: if it sees some unpacked content (like in \Obj) then *.crf on the same 'level' (path depth) NOT being read at all? And if *.crf is at a different 'level' (ie. in a subfolder) than custom unpacked game content in [game_root] (like [game_root]\Obj\*) than this *.crf is read and used no problem, right? I wonder how it happens that *.crf's from patch don't need explicit mention by resname_base yet EP.crf does need it (thought it's the same, technically (?)).

Re T2 install.cfg: you mentioned it's not being used at all. Can it then be simply deleted from game dir w/o some negative consequenced or does it still have to be present there for some reason?

ps how do I create my own .crf? Is it simple zip with renamed extension and can be created by any file packed or are special tools/steps required to make it work properly?

pps How do I merge T2 patch .crf's into main .crf's properly? Simply copy/overwrite *or* some special steps are required?
    Last edited by Hiatus; 3rd Jan 2008 at 06:48.

Thief reads resources in a certain order.
    Suppose that it wants to read the file obj\deerleg.bin.
    First it will look in the Thief folder, obj subfolder.
    If the subfolder exists and the file is not there, it will look in the next resource path from darkinst.cfg or install.cfg (depending on Thief version).
    If the subfolder does not exist, it will look in obj.zip instead. If obj.zip does not exist, then it will look in obj.crf. If obj.crf does not eixst, then it will proceed to the next resource path. Again, obj.crf will never be read if obj.zip exists but does not contain the required resource.

By default, Thief 1 / Gold install the .crfs into the main Thief folder, so if (for example) an obj subfolder is present, then obj.crf will never be read. Obviously, this means that fan missions will not work, because the game can no longer access any of the original game resources.
    DarkLoader optimises Thief 1 / Gold by moving the .crfs into a folder (I think it's 'crfs'; but newer versions of DarkLoader may have switched to using 'res' to be consistent with Thief2?).
    Thief 2 always had the .crfs in a Res folder, so it does not need to be optimised.

An example read order for a file might be this (assuming .\EP is the first resoure path, and .\Res is the second):
    .\obj\deerleg.bin -- obj folder not found
    .\obj.zip\deerleg.bin -- obj.zip not found
    .\obj.crf\deerleg.bin -- obj.crf not found
    .\ep\obj\deerleg.bin -- ep folder not found
    .\ep.zip\obj\deerleg.bin -- ep.zip not found
    .\ep.crf\obj\deerleg.bin -- ep.crf found, but deerleg.bin is not present
    .\Res\obj\deerleg.bin -- obj folder not found
    .\Res\obj.zip\deerleg.bin -- obj.zip not found
    .\Res\obj.crf\deerleg.bin -- File found and loaded.

Since the patch .crfs for Thief 2 are in the root folder, they will not be read if there is any custom content in folders, this is true for both OMs and FMs.
    These .crfs do not need a mention in the resname_base line because the first search path is always the Thief 2 folder, before any of the resource paths are searched.

To 'merge' the .crfs would be to add the files from the patch .crfs to the main .crfs, using any archiver that supports .zip files. .crfs are simply renamed .zip files, there is nothing special about them.

As far as I know, install.cfg is not used at all in Thief 2, and can probably be safely deleted.

@Nameless Voice:

do I undestand it well:

if I got \obj\txt\shield.gif file (custom health indicator) in my main T2 dir (whole path is d:\games\thief2\obj\txt\shield.gif) then by default obj.crf from 1.18 patch located in d:\games\thief2\ is NOT being read at all - NO file from this file is ever being used by the game - no matter whether txt\shield.gif resource is in this file (it's not in this case) - and instead all requested objects from obj.crf are taken from old retail obj.crf located in \res)?

Even completely empty subdir(s) in main T2 dir named like books/fam/intrface/mesh/obj/snd/strings are enough to cause complete disregard and non-reading of identically named *.crf's from 1.18 patch localted in root game dir by default?
    Last edited by Hiatus; 3rd Jan 2008 at 10:40.

Yes, precisely.
    The easiest way to see this is at the start of Blackmail. If the large gates outside Truart's gate are just rendered as black rectangles, then the files from the patch are not being used.

Nameless Voice: please check my later edit of preceding post (postponed due to server problems): "Even completely empty..."

The answer is still yes.

ok, thank you for great info, Nameless Voice - it's 2008 and I still had no idea about it .

ps I've just merged *.crf's from 1.18 patch to retail ones (simple copy and overwrite all)- now all standard *.crf's are in \res only - hope it prevents problems like above.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast