TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: The Thief Enhancement Pack

Ok, so I guess the optimal way to make this work is to zip up daemonite's fix, and orgy's fix? And then edit the install.cfg like shown above?

Cuz I wanted to just use the folders and somehow disable the daemonite sword, but still be able to use the other material (ai meshes - right now I have thief running with just EP)

Since it's just one object, you could open your mesh folder and rename the files "armsw2.bin" and "armsw2.cal"
    Renaming is better than deleting them because the game still won't be able to find them but you can still restore them if you want. I tend to just put an underscore at the start when I do things like that so I can still see what the original filename was.

Thanks = I redid that, I actually tried that before, but dromed got mad at me because it said those files were missing (even though they are in the EP.crf? ) I just tested bafford's and it works (non-dromed game mode). - now here's the only issue. The arm mesh is green instead of the brown. It matches better since that is what garrett had in thief 1 (brown) - I say that because if you look at the blackjack arm, and the bow arm, its still the brown version from daemonite's (which I want) - So is there a way I could just use a graphics program and change the color to brown so that it matches?

[edit]

Darn, I found the easier way, but it turns out to not be 100% accurate. I took daemonite's brown sword arm, and renamed it as swhand, and resaved it as a .gif in the txt16 folder to overwrite the EP's green arm. Well, it worked but there are "holes" in his hand! :0 Is that because of the transparency nature of gifs?

[edit2] I don't know what the deal was with the holes, but I had a grand idea! I have daemonite's thief gold GIF files, so I just took the armsw2.gif from there, renamed it to swhand.gif, and it works! No holes in the hand!
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 3rd Jan 2008 at 13:04.

@NV:

.\ep\obj\deerleg.bin -- ep folder not found
    .\ep.zip\obj\deerleg.bin -- ep.zip not found
    .\ep.crf\obj\deerleg.bin -- ep.crf found, but deerleg.bin is not present
    .\Res\obj\deerleg.bin -- obj folder not found
    .\Res\obj.zip\deerleg.bin -- obj.zip not found
    .\Res\obj.crf\deerleg.bin -- File found and loaded.
    I don't understand why in this example ep is sometimes dir/sometimes file and obj is always dir (3 first lines) and at the same time, res is always dir and obj is dir/file (lines 4-6) - why ep and Res are treated differently in these 2 cases (and obj, too)?

===

what is the best way for Daemonite's Thief Model Patch, oRGy texture patch and NV's EP1 coexist in 1 TDP/TG installation? Best is to zip (which one(s)?), crf (which one(s)?) or left unpacked in root game dir? What should override what, what order should be preserved etc?

What resname_base line should look like and why (with all 3 mentioned above installed and active)?

ps what will happen if I put them all in 1 big EP.crf file (= copy Daemonite & oRGy files to EP.crf - in proper locations that is - will there be any inteference etc)? Could it work as expected?
    Last edited by Hiatus; 3rd Jan 2008 at 13:43.

Because it looks for a folder with that name first, and if it doesn't exist, it checks for .zips and .crfs.

Dark doesn't care if any part of a path is a folder or a zip/crf.
    So, as far as it's concerned, EP.crf is treated the same as a folder named EP, to be opened and for files to be retrieved from. It's looking for obj/deerleg.bin, so it looks inside the EP.crf for that file, as if EP.crf were a folder.

There are multiple ways to install the EP with oRGy's and Daemonite's packs.
    My preferred method is to move all the original game data to a 'Data' folder and to install all permanent mods into that, and have it in the path after the EP, which keeps all the original game data safe from anything that might go wrong (e.g. DarkLoader crashing) - but that's a bit too complicated to explain how to set up.

The simplest method would be to create a folder, e.g. named PermanentMods, and install oRGy's and Daemonite's packs into that, and then add it as a resource path after the EP, e.g.:
    resname_base .\EP+.\PermanentMods+.\Res

NV: again, please check my fresh post edit, including added ps. Thanks!

and install oRGy's and Daemonite's packs into that
    unpacked or as .zip's/.crf's (or doesn't matter)?

ps asking for simple explanation why they both should be AFTER EP1? AFAIK no files in all 3 packs are dupes (= same name) so they seem to be totally mutually exclusive...

Unpacked or add their zip name into the resource path too.

The sword models (armsw2.bin / armsw2.cal) will interfere with each other.
    If it wasn't for that file, you could just as easily install them as normal (e.g. just into normal folders in the Thief root) anyway. As it is, deleting those two files from Daemonite's pack after installing is the easiest method.

Putting them all into the EP.crf would be very messy, what if there is an update?

Putting them all into the EP.crf would be very messy, what if there is an update?
    ok, but technically/theoretically speaking, would it work the same as the method (PermanentMods) you mentioned post above? I don't mind it being messy and having them all in 1 huge .zip/.crf would be handy IMO...

Hiatus, just as an alternative method:

install the Daemonite mesh patch (targa or gif) and orgy texture patch like normal, but remove the affecting content that you want overwritten by the Enhancement Pack. In my case, it was just the sword that was affected (that I noticed anyway), because I chose to use the targa version of daemonite's patch. I fixed this by putting an underscore in front of the armsw2.bin and armsw2.cal files that were created by daemonite's pack. - Thus, I have the new sword model, and the new arm patch.

There are a couple options, before doing the EP:

Daemonite's TGA mesh patch
    Daemonite's GIF mesh patch
    Orgy's mesh patch
    Orgy's texture patch

I use D's TGA MP, and Orgy's TP. I don't know how it would work with both orgy's mesh and texture patches though.

Simply an alternative, it is the way I have it, but you might like NV's way better. I also found a way to make the player arm have the brown cloth instead of the green cloth, if you like Daemonite's better.

Perhaps a sticky(new thread) should be made on the different methods of combining the Enhancement Pack with D's and Orgy's patches?

I also found a way to make the player arm have the brown cloth instead of the green cloth, if you like Daemonite's better.
    how to do it?

See here

Specifically, Edit2.

@sNeaksieGarrett: ok, thanks!

@NV: can EP.crf sit safely in games' root dir(s) if it's not referenced in .cfg file resname_base line (just to make sure)?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiatus View Post
    @NV: can EP.crf sit safely in games' root dir(s) if it's not referenced in .cfg file resname_base line (just to make sure)?
    Yes, though it won't be used.

There are multiple ways to install the EP with oRGy's and Daemonite's packs.
    My preferred method is to move all the original game data to a 'Data' folder and to install all permanent mods into that, and have it in the path after the EP, which keeps all the original game data safe from anything that might go wrong (e.g. DarkLoader crashing) - but that's a bit too complicated to explain how to set up.
    NV, could you try to explain it anyway, please? I'm very curious ...

The sword models (armsw2.bin / armsw2.cal) will interfere with each other.
    you mean when put all 3 packs in 1 EP.crf file? Deleting them from D. part would help, right?

The simplest method would be to create a folder, e.g. named PermanentMods, and install oRGy's and Daemonite's packs into that, and then add it as a resource path after the EP, e.g.:
    resname_base .\EP+.\PermanentMods+.\Res
    does it involve deleting armsw2.bin/armsw2.cal (in D. part) or it's not necessary here?

ok, but technically/theoretically speaking, would it work the same as the method (PermanentMods) you mentioned post above? I don't mind it being messy and having them all in 1 huge .zip/.crf would be handy IMO...
    if I delete armsw2.bin/armsw2.cal from D. part in one huge EP.crf, then there won't be any inteferences and will it work the same as PermanentMods (separated from and overridden by EP) method?

Yes, though it won't be used.
    thanks for the info
    Last edited by Hiatus; 3rd Jan 2008 at 15:42.

I have a big problem now after correctly installing the EP. The Thief 2 game cannot find the CD which is in the drive. I've tried darkloader and going to All programs - games -Thief2 and a dialog box save NO CD! Anyone else have a problem like this one? Is there a special way I need to run T2 from the home directory rather than the other two ways listed above?

What does your install.cfg look like?

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    .\obj\deerleg.bin -- obj folder not found
    .\obj.zip\deerleg.bin -- obj.zip not found
    .\obj.crf\deerleg.bin -- obj.crf not found
    .\ep\obj\deerleg.bin -- ep folder not found
    .\ep.zip\obj\deerleg.bin -- ep.zip not found
    .\ep.crf\obj\deerleg.bin -- ep.crf found, but deerleg.bin is not present
    .\Res\obj\deerleg.bin -- obj folder not found
    .\Res\obj.zip\deerleg.bin -- obj.zip not found
    .\Res\obj.crf\deerleg.bin -- File found and loaded.
    What about the search for the texture file associated with deerleg.bin? Does the search go through the same path or does it start in the directory (crf, zip) where deerleg.bin was found?

It searches for it from the beginning.
    Otherwise, an FM with a custom door texture would need to have a custom door model, too.

It searches for it from the beginning.
    Otherwise, an FM with a custom door texture would need to have a custom door model, too.
    Thanks, NV. So theoretically that means if a FM author has a custom object that uses an original T2 texture and wants to keep it (because the EP version may not fit well to that object), he/she could force T2 to use the original texture by putting it into the obj/txt16 (or txt) directory.

my install.cfg looks like this:

cd_path d:\
    install_path C:\Program Files\Thief2
    language english
    resname_base C:\Program Files\Thief2\res+d:\thief2
    load_path C:\Program Files\Thief2+d:\thief2
    script_module_path C:\Program Files\Thief2+d:\thief2
    movie_path C:\Program Files\Thief2\movies+d:\thief2\movies

Quote Originally Posted by Vasmarok View Post
    Thanks, NV. So theoretically that means if a FM author has a custom object that uses an original T2 texture and wants to keep it (because the EP version may not fit well to that object), he/she could force T2 to use the original texture by putting it into the obj/txt16 (or txt) directory.
    Yes. TheNightTerror already answered this quite eloquently:

Quote Originally Posted by TheNightTerror View Post
    I might as well lend a helping hand here; you probably won't need to uninstall anything, because of the way the EP works. The EP installs in such a way that the game loads custom content first, like a FM or texture pack content, followed by EP content, like the upgraded bread loaf object, followed by the original content, like the deer leg. It shouldn't overwrite any custom stuff of your own.

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    What does your install.cfg look like?
    Thief 2 doesn't use Install.cfg, so that's hardly relevant.
    The better question is: What does your DarkInst.cfg look like?

NV?

Yes. TheNightTerror already answered this quite eloquently:
    Yes, I understand that. What I meant is that sometimes custom stuff contains custom and original resources. For example, I have made a custom sword rack, which has a custom part (the rack) and the T2 stuff (the swords). These swords have the original sword texture, which I did not have to add to the obj/txt directory, because I did not want to duplicate the texture already under obj.crf. With the EP pack, now I have to add this texture to obj/txt because the EP pack overrides the content of the obj.crf. (well, I assume the new sword texture has the same name as the old one). If I see it correctly even the shape of the sword was redesigned so the new texture would not be a good fit for the old shape(?). Of course I could always redesign the rack.

Here is my darkins.cfg:

cd_path d:\ %B
    install_path C:\Program Files\Thief2 %B
    language english %B
    resname_base C:\Program Files\Thief2\res+d:\thief2 %B
    load_path C:\Program Files\Thief2+d:\thief2 %B
    script_module_path C:\Program Files\Thief2+d:\thief2 %B
    movie_path C:\Program Files\Thief2\movies+d:\thief2\movies %B
    %B

Quote Originally Posted by Vasmarok View Post
    ...EP pack...
    Oh please, no, don't start that...

The sword is a very bad example in this case.
    It is one of the few models that uses significantly different textures than the original; the UV mapping is very different from the original sword, so it doesn't use any of the original textures, and the new textures do not have the same names as the originals.

The whole idea of the EP is to upgrade textures and models; not every texture I've upgraded relies on an upgraded model; for example, I never modified the chest models, only their textures. Of course, the old chest model will use the new EP chest textures, because the EP has priority over the original game content.

But generally speaking, yes, custom content that relies on original textures that were improved by the EP will use the EP version instead. But since the EP textures should fit perfectly onto the model because they are so close to the originals, there generally shouldn't be a problem.

you mean when put all 3 packs in 1 EP.crf file? Deleting them from D. part would help, right?
    Yes, armsw2.bin and armsw2.cal are the only two files that interfere.
    You can simply install Daemonite's pack in the usual way and remove those two files to have the two work together. Check sNeaksieGarrett's explanation a few posts up.

does it involve deleting armsw2.bin/armsw2.cal (in D. part) or it's not necessary here?
    Not if you use my 'extra resource path' method, no.

if I delete armsw2.bin/armsw2.cal from D. part in one huge EP.crf, then there won't be any inteferences and will it work the same as PermanentMods (separated from and overridden by EP) method?
    I suppose. I still wouldn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by dbrilliant View Post
    Here is my darkins.cfg:

cd_path d:\ %B
    Oh. That was the result of the broken installer.
    Restore the backup of DarkInst.cfg that the installer made (it was named DarkInst.cfg.epbak) and download this fixed installer and run that instead.
    That should hopefully sort it.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116 ... LastLast