TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Thief Enhancement Pack

My first piece of advice would be to upgrade to Windows XP.

If, for whatever reason that's not an option, you probably have to do a manual install.

No, its not a vista issue. I have the enhancement pack, and the Thief2fix.exe running on vista. Thief has never looked so good. I'm totally serious, Vista can be a POS sometimes, but, for this, I forgive Vista.

It might be a Vista security issue, though.
    Did you try running InstallEP.bat as an administrator?

Belated again, but I'd just like to add my thanx & appreciation for your great work on the EP, N_V - the "fixed3" version installs & works beautifully for me. So many visual improvements, even on 1999-release T1 FM's!

First-Class

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by oneof4 View Post
    When trying to install in Windows Vista, I'm getting "unknown error" "access denied" when it tries to access Darkinst.cfg, and also the same for Dark.cfg

Is this a "Vista" thing or something else?
    Anything installed within the "Program Files" structure is write-protected by Vista.

@NV:

re your Q&A in FAQ re upgading/replacing terrain textures:

SHTUP for SS2 does replace many terrain textures, and SS2 uses Dark Engine. So how's that possible/feasible there and not with Thief and EP and the like?

SHTUP mostly added more frames to animations and slightly tweaked existing textures, using the original resolutions.

There are some exeptions to this: textures that are higher resolution but repeat themselves, so that the detail of high-resolution version will be at the same size as the originals, but it might have two versions alternating rather than one single version repeating.
    For example, cloning a 128x128 texture four times into a 256x256 canvas, and then making each version subtly different, to make it look less like a single small texture being repeated.
    (I probably didn't explain that very well...)

These could be done for Thief, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiatus View Post
    So how's that possible/feasible there and not with Thief and EP and the like?
    When a texture is applied to an object, it's made to fit into a predefined area (roughly speaking), so it'll be stretched or squashed to fit that area. Outside of that area the texture will repeat itself. So in that case, increasing texture size does make it sharper because more pixels will be squeezed into the area.

When a texture is applied to a face of a terrain brush the resolution is defined by a 'Scale' number, which says that X pixels of any texture, regardless of size, will fit into some area.
    E.g. at the default scale, 64 pixels will be spread over 4 feet. So a wood panel could take up 4x4 feet (64x64 pixels). If it's size was doubled to 128x128 pixels, it'd then take up 8x8 feet. If it had been placed on some 4 foot high wall panel, it would now spill out. It could be made to fit again by reducing the scale, so that 128x128 pixels fitted into 4x4 feet.

But this would have to be done on almost every individual surface where that texture was applied. That would be a huge amount of work. Also, the lighting would have to be recalculated for the whole level. And that brings me to something else: the resolution of the textures affects the resolution of the shadows. Sharper textures = sharper shadows, which doesn't always look good.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Anything installed within the "Program Files" structure is write-protected by Vista.
    Well, is there anything I can do short of re-installing Thief 2?

The picture in the first post is an actual ingame screenshot, right?
    This may sound like a dumb question, but I installed EP and my sky looks like this:

Pretty horribly compared to the screen from first post:

The sky in every level looks that bad (same banding effect, etc). I hope someone can steer me towards a solution

I have 7300GT with 169.04 drivers, XP SP2

You have an nVidia card.
    They haven't displayed Thief's sky properly in years.
    If you want proper sky on an nVidia card, you'll need to use TimeSlip's DDFix.
    Unfortunately, it has a few issues of its own, mainly that fog doesn't work at all when using DDFix.

Also, you are highly encouraged to make a fuss at nVidia, though they seem to have totally ignored any complaints made by their customers up until now, even when those customers have moved to ATI over these issues.

For the record, I took that screenshot in DDFix, even though my ATI card displays the sky properly. Since DDFix forces Thief to run in 32-bit colour, screenshots come out better in it.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by oneof4 View Post
    Well, is there anything I can do short of re-installing Thief 2?
    Yes. Just simply copy the game's directory to your partition's root or something. It should still run.

No, you'll have to modify DarkInst.cfg to use relative paths if you want to be able to just move the folder around.
    Or just modify it to point to the new path each time you move it.

And, in any case, why don't you just do a manual install if the installer can't make the changes?

NV: which ATI card do you have? And, do you know if their latest DX10 cards like HD2xxx and HD3xxx render Dark Engine games properly (with current drivers)?

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    You have an nVidia card.
    They haven't displayed Thief's sky properly in years.
    If you want proper sky on an nVidia card, you'll need to use TimeSlip's DDFix.
    Unfortunately, it has a few issues of its own, mainly that fog doesn't work at all when using DDFix.
    I thought this problem only concerned 8x00 series, thanks for info.
    Is fog a big deal in thief atmosphere, or can I happily play without it and not even notice it's gone?

Also, you are highly encouraged to make a fuss at nVidia, though they seem to have totally ignored any complaints made by their customers up until now, even when those customers have moved to ATI over these issues.
    I already downgraded from 8800GT to 7300GT just to play SS2 and Thief series. This puts me in a mood to rant

For the record, I took that screenshot in DDFix, even though my ATI card displays the sky properly. Since DDFix forces Thief to run in 32-bit colour, screenshots come out better in it.
    DDFix also fixes another thing that was bugging me - whenever I turned on the map or main menu the screen res would switch back to 640x480 which takes about 2-3 seconds on my monitor. THis was very annoying because after switching back to the game i was blind for about 2-3 seconds. Luckily this fix fixes it.
    I only have two problems with DDFix - 1) when DDFix is installed cutscenes play at 5FPS and 2) setting 1280x960 or 1152x864 res causes game to crash on load - not a huge deal as I can play 1280x1024, but I wanted 1280x960 or 1152x864 because black bars on my widescreen monitor are less visible that way.
    I posted in DDFix topic so hopefully someone will now how to solve the problems.
    Last edited by Simplex; 13th Jan 2008 at 09:31.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Hey NV,
    Did you figure out how to stop the light gem from disappearing when using DDFix with T1?
    Cheers.

No.
    Shouldn't you be asking that in the DDFix thread?

This is the topic Nameless Voice referred to:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117616

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    No, you'll have to modify DarkInst.cfg to use relative paths if you want to be able to just move the folder around.
    Or just modify it to point to the new path each time you move it.

And, in any case, why don't you just do a manual install if the installer can't make the changes?
    I tried the manual install to no avail, (Thief 2 would just crash to the desktop). Moving the Thief 2 folder out of Program Files proved to be problematic as well, so I just uninstalled and reinstalled Thief 2. Enhancement pack now works, but for whatever reason, all my saves in "The Seven Sisters" are gone! I moved the folder "allsaves" out of the Thief 2 folder before deleting it, but still there are no saves for seven sisters. Fortunately, I wasn't that far into the mission, so starting over ain't that big of a deal.

Thanks for the advice.

Interesting new object textures and other things

It seem i will need to add more memory to my pc, i noticed that the gamespeed with theese new enchatement thief patch was slower, and also noticed in some of my missions that the moon and the clouds textures were different, i really enjoy the new object textures but canīt keep this installed untill i have proper conditions for it. anyway crongatulations for this great project

This is a big improvement - well done!

One little niggle - the coin stacks don't look right. I prefer the originals.

Actually, I agree with ffox, also preferring the original coin stacks (not a criticism, just a small preference thing)

Would it be possible (even for the technically-inept like myself) to replace an EP object with the original? If so, what are the names of the coin stack files?

Is it worth adding in this pack at the expense of possibly screwing up the FM's?

I just started playing some of these fan missions and it took me a while to get Garretloader running right. I'm not the brightest when it comes to tech stuff.

I can't believe you taffers like the original coinstacks, when you compare the two its like The originals were like hexagonal or something.

@michael:

I do, but maybe your comment is evidence that this should possibly be added to a new version of Darkloader.. maybe someone should mention it to whoever is in charge of that.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast