TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Thief Enhancement Pack

The banned user, not the game
    i have newest darkloader and when i installed the pack,it kept asking for my thief disk,i gave up,i am sure the pack is amazing,also i got a newer comp,so new when i play thief 1/gold or 2 fms i have to shut off 1 of my affinitys on my comp due to my processor i think it is.also all my thief games are full versions so i got no idea why i cant get it to work

i made this post to let others know not everyone can get it to work
    User was banned by Digital Nightfall on 8-4-2008

Thief_4:
    That post is too incoherent to understand, so all I can say is that you should make sure you're using the most recent version of the installer (all the links in the first post now use it).

Sticky Fingers:
    I can't really understand why you'd want to go back to the five-sided block that was the original coin stacks, but you can do it by opening EP.crf in an archiver (e.g. WinRAR) and deleting the appropriate files.

If you want to restore the original 5-sided block models, then delete these files:
    obj\coinsgol.bin
    obj\coinssil.bin
    obj\coinscop.bin

If you want to restore the blurry smudge textures, then delete these files:
    obj\txt16\coin.gif
    obj\txt16\hilt.gif
    obj\txt16\coins.gif
    obj\txt16\hiltm.gif
    obj\txt16\coinc.gif
    obj\txt16\hiltc.gif

(If you want to completely restore the original coins, delete both.)

Thief 4, you will want to do the permanent solution to the dual core issue, so you don't have to set it each time.
    "For the Love of the Game"

Look in the FAQ's for the permanent fix to Thief and the dual core issue. Easy to do.

The banned user, not the game
    i dont mind settng the affinity each time

i would rather be able to get the enhancement pack to work,also the thief patches,i get nothing but problems trying to get them to work correctly
    User was banned by Digital Nightfall on 8-4-2008

I have Vista, with thief permanently fixed with the dual core, and the enhancement pack, and now the sound pack. They all work, there shouldn't be any reason why it wouldn't work.

Hi NV. I mentioned this in a post two pages back but didn't get a reply. I am playing with the EP and enjoying it a lot, but there is one object I don't like: the standard crate. With this new one, when you manipulate it for stacking, etc., You find your head inside it trying to look out. If you can update it, fine. If not, can you tell me how to bypass this particular crate object?

I'm not sure what you mean by putting your head inside it - the new crate has the same dimensions as the original one?

Anyway, I just explained how to delete a model from the .crf.
    The model in question here is WCrateC.bin (and WCrateCO.bin if you want to also remove the old crate.)

If you stack them and lean over while stacking, your head ends up inside the crate, that is, you see the inside of the crate. There are other examples. I think the regular crates don't do that so much. Thanks for the clue. I'll change it and report back if I am mistaken.

crates

I restored the old crate by moving WCrateC.bin out of the Thief2\Obj folder. That worked.

I tested the original T2 crate vs. the EP crate, and I find that they behave almost the same way regarding your head inside the crate. The effect happens when you lean over and stack or lean over and drop the crate down on a table, etc. There is one key difference. With the EP crate, when your head is inside, you see a framework consisting of the 12 edge members, but no faces. With the original T2 crate, the entire crate is invisible from inside, so you see nothing but transparent space until you take your head out of the crate, whereupon you see the outside surfaces. The reason that I thought the EP crate was annoying is that those edge members that you can see from the inside are unnatural looking, so they mess with your brain and momentarily destroy the immersion.

I noticed something strange (to me) when perusing the files. I am not a dromeder, so I don't understand this. All the crate objects in the Obj folder have dates around 09/06/2005, but the same files in EP.crf have dates around 12/08/2007 or thereabouts. Also, I noticed that when you delete the file WCrateC.bin from the EP.crf archive it does not affect the crate when playing the game, but when you delete it from the Obj folder and put it back into the CRF, the crate reverts to the original. Can you explain to me what is going on? What is the function of the files in the CRF if their presence is not noticed? If the EP files are copied into the Obj folder at some point, why are the dates different?

Thanks.

EDIT: I think I know the cause. I am playing Bad Debts, which has EP objects built in.
    Last edited by smithpd; 26th Jan 2008 at 01:22.

The order according to which the engine looks for resources is:

1. the installed FM's resource database (now unpacked in the Thief directory by Garrett-Darkloader),

2. NV's EP.crf,

3. the original Thief resource base in Res\Obj.crf.

If you have installed an FM which uses a custom crate, this will be the model used primarily in the game. If it does not exist, the one in the EP comes next. If here can't be found too, the original model will be used from the Thief's resource database.

I would argue that stacking crates in that way is cheating, and since it's totally unrealistic anyway, I don't see how you can 'break immersion' any more than you already have by building impossible towers of crates.

Thanx very much for the info, N_V (RL issues delaying this reply).
    It was only ever a slight preference, & certainly not a criticism.
    On balance I've decided to leave my installs of EP alone, as both (T1 & T2) are working perfectly - & I have enough mysterious glitches in my computer already, without risking adding another, no matter how straightforward the process may be.
    But at least I (& others) will know which files to delete should it be desired.
    Thanx again.

Quote Originally Posted by smithpd
    All the crate objects in the Obj folder have dates around 09/06/2005, but the same files in EP.crf have dates around 12/08/2007 or thereabouts.
    Is it possible you have old models from the 2005 EP beta? That could be why the dates are different. Also, if I understand correctly, NV didn't update every model from the original EP demo, so there probably is some 2005 entries in the EP.crf. Is this right, NV?

sNeaksieGarrett,

I had recent files in EP.CRF and old files in the Obj folder. I think the old files in the Obj folder were placed there by Darkloader when loading the FM Bad Debts. Bad Debts uses EP objects, evidently an old version.

Ah ok, I see. That makes sense. So yes, you did have old models from the first EP.

Yes, all the EP files are in EP.crf and nowhere else.
    Any files you may have in the folders are from FMs, or were manually installed by you - and they will override the EP, of course.

finally uploaded this package the other day and it worked a treat, (heres the but) but today I cant get it to play, not even the original game. Dammit. I have a very old,old,old computer (as in nearly 10 years) with very little memory and maybe I was just asking to much of it. It has refused to play theif gold for a while now, no matter what I do and now no theif 2, Ill be ripping my hair out . Any how, if anyones got any ideas Id love to hear them and in the mean time Ill just have to delete, reload and cross my fingers.

If you're getting an error message try typing it into the search function.

I don't know what hapened but EP makes my GPU (7600gt) fan spin too fast. Unistaled it and the fan speed slowed down

I am running both of the enhancement packs and they work great.

Thanks for your hard work.

bikerdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Kin View Post
    I don't know what happened but EP makes my GPU (7600gt) fan spin too fast. un-installed it and the fan speed slowed down
    This is un-likely to be related, but if it is, its because the game engine is doing a little more work which in turn is making the card run that little bit hotter hance the fan spinning up..

biker

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    This is un-likely to be related, but if it is, its because the game engine is doing a little more work which in turn is making the card run that little bit hotter hance the fan spinning up..

biker
    I am not sure after all that NV pack caused the overheat.

Actually the game engine (and dromed too) is the real heat generator. I just started to monitor my system's temperature with Speedfan and it shoots up whenever I use dromed. Thief already killed one processor fan for me. It's always a good idea to reapply new thermal grease between the processor and the heatsink when the processor temperature gets too high.

Thanks for the hard work on this pack. After trying it...I hate playing without it.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast