TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Derelict - A Sci-Fi horror fps i'm making

Derelict - A Sci-Fi horror fps i'm making

[Edit]

A couple of months back I released an updated version of Derelict, my Sci-Fi horror tactical FPS.

(Excuse the Dark screenshots, I need to do lighter ones!)

This new version can be downloaded here
    Last edited by earok; 13th Jul 2009 at 16:51. Reason: Updating link

Very interesting. A bit cliche, but extremely impressive for a project made by far less than a full development staff.

Edit: Looking more, I'm really loving the Space Hulk vibe. As I am an avid fan of the 'real thing' but far too young to have played the PC game, I look forward immensely to the completion of this game.

Edit 2: Tried it. Very nice, but it's nigh-unplayable due to the lack of real marine AI. Not just the fact that they stand with their backs turned and get eaten, but also the fact that they go nowhere without being ordered. It is... frustrating, to say the least. But still, very good so far!
    Last edited by catbarf; 21st Jan 2008 at 19:28.

Wow! This looks and sounds just right.

edit:
    - When I killed one of my own men I couldn't proceed to the next level.
    - The mail texts are hard to read because of bad kerning.
    Last edited by Kolya; 21st Jan 2008 at 20:03.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Quote Originally Posted by catbarf View Post
    Very interesting. A bit cliche, but extremely impressive for a project made by far less than a full development staff.

Edit: Looking more, I'm really loving the Space Hulk vibe. As I am an avid fan of the 'real thing' but far too young to have played the PC game, I look forward immensely to the completion of this game.

Edit 2: Tried it. Very nice, but it's nigh-unplayable due to the lack of real marine AI. Not just the fact that they stand with their backs turned and get eaten, but also the fact that they go nowhere without being ordered. It is... frustrating, to say the least. But still, very good so far!
    Have you been using the map screen (press Tab key) to issue commands to the men rather then controlling them entirely in first person mode? Also in map mode you can tell your men to face a different direction when ordering them to move by clicking several times in the same place. The idea is to make your team cover each other by having them standing back to back etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    Wow! This looks and sounds just right.

edit:
    - When I killed one of my own men I couldn't proceed to the next level.
    - The mail texts are hard to read because of bad kerning.
    Can you please tell me more regarding the problem you had with exiting the level? Which level did you strike problems with? Were all of your other men in the red zone at the end of the level? Did it exit the level but crash or did it just stay in the same level?

Sorry about the mail text! i'll try spacing out the letters a bit more and possibly try a more readable bitmap font.

Quote Originally Posted by earok View Post
    Have you been using the map screen (press Tab key) to issue commands to the men rather then controlling them entirely in first person mode? Also in map mode you can tell your men to face a different direction when ordering them to move by clicking several times in the same place. The idea is to make your team cover each other by having them standing back to back etc.
    Oh yes, I use map mode. It's just that every time I want to advance up a corridor, I press tab and then it's no less than ten mouse clicks to move the whole team. When AI is complete, a generic 'follow me' command would be nice. Then when you're at the destination, you could order them around into position.

The other problem is the lack of 'team communication' I suppose. I see an alien, it runs up to me, then it turns a corner and eats my buddy who has his back turned. You'd think that when I see it, my teammates would be alerted and turn.

Also, something that might be good would be when you go into the map screen, instead of seeing what a marine sees, you're in some sort of Aliens-styled command center with five screens, one for each marine.

I'll give it a try at the weekend.
    The one thing I will say is that bad friendly AI is a real game killer.

I am old enough to remember the original Space Marines game. For its day it was a good attempt but it was really bad as you had to micromanage your characters way too much.
    "Move to point A turn 180 and fire 3 shots"
    You moved, you turned, you fired, you missed your gun jammed, you died!

I never really understood all the fuss that was made over the original rainbow 6. I remeber having to replay a level 30 times just to get the guys to throw a grenade into a room, without me doing it for them.
    In the end when I had worked out opening the door first, to moving the column so they didn't get hit by the blast, then get into the room.. I then had to work out why a terrorist had survived a frag grenade by standing behind a chair...
    I never did complete that game, purely because the AI wouldn't do what I wanted without hours of tweaking.

The latest is a lot better with simple controls and more context sensitive movements, they know how to throw grenades without killing themselves and will actually take cover if given a good cover object. There are still times though when they walk straight in front your your aim and bitch when they get shot!

Oh yes, I use map mode. It's just that every time I want to advance up a corridor, I press tab and then it's no less than ten mouse clicks to move the whole team. When AI is complete, a generic 'follow me' command would be nice. Then when you're at the destination, you could order them around into position.

The other problem is the lack of 'team communication' I suppose. I see an alien, it runs up to me, then it turns a corner and eats my buddy who has his back turned. You'd think that when I see it, my teammates would be alerted and turn.

Also, something that might be good would be when you go into the map screen, instead of seeing what a marine sees, you're in some sort of Aliens-styled command center with five screens, one for each marine.
    Thanks for the feedback. "Follow me" mode is a widely requested feature so I will see if I can put it in the next version. I may also investigate putting a "Warning" button in as a quick way of alerting your team if there is an alien approaching from the sides or the rear.

Aliens-style command center may not be possible to do on a smooth framerate because of all of the renders required but I will investigate doing that too.

Thanks for the feedback. "Follow me" mode is a widely requested feature so I will see if I can put it in the next version. I may also investigate putting a "Warning" button in as a quick way of alerting your team if there is an alien approaching from the sides or the rear.
    Follow would be great. The thing about Warning is that it should be automatic. I understand that the marines shouldn't be able to see anything anytime, but it's frustrating to watch one get eaten because I couldn't kill it before it turned the corner.

Perhaps even a 'Take position' command, where they immediately stop moving and turn to cover different directions? So if they're following you and you get attacked, they would stop moving and get ready to fight?

Aliens-style command center may not be possible to do on a smooth framerate because of all of the renders required but I will investigate doing that too.
    Is there some way you could lower the graphics load? Perhaps lowering texture quality (on a grainy picture it won't be noticeable) or having a very low framerate (maybe 3 or 4 per second)?

Follow would be great. The thing about Warning is that it should be automatic. I understand that the marines shouldn't be able to see anything anytime, but it's frustrating to watch one get eaten because I couldn't kill it before it turned the corner.

Perhaps even a 'Take position' command, where they immediately stop moving and turn to cover different directions? So if they're following you and you get attacked, they would stop moving and get ready to fight?
    I have been thinking about this more and I have come up with three command modes. Normal mode would mean that you could command the marines as per usual, follow mode would mean that all of the other marines follow you and hold mode means that all of your men would stop moving (note that orders aren't cancelled - just on hold) and automatically turn towards any on-coming threat. You will still need to have your men in places they can only get attacked from one direction though, because they could still be attacked from both directions simultaneously. I'll try to implement those modes next and see how it effects the gameplay.

Is there some way you could lower the graphics load? Perhaps lowering texture quality (on a grainy picture it won't be noticeable) or having a very low framerate (maybe 3 or 4 per second)?
    I never even thought about having a low framerate for those screens, but that would be the perfect way to render them (say, each of the four screens once every second) without dropping the framerate of the game. Cheers.

I never even thought about having a low framerate for those screens, but that would be the perfect way to render them (say, each of the four screens once every second) without dropping the framerate of the game. Cheers.
    Have a low framerate, slap on a grainy filter, and you've got a carbon-copy of security camera feed.

It looks promising (I haven't played it yet though).
    If you want to implement squadmates with assignable orders, you should take a look at terra nova (if you don't know it) as you had up to 3 squadmate your could order to do things (at that time it was amazing).

If you need music, I could do a few things (and maybe a few sounds).
    My only real concern is my PC broke, and I'm borrowing those of friends, and de facto, I have less time to do it than if I had my own pc.
    Just tell me if you're interested in, the kind of music and you'll have it (and I hope you'll like it).

Another drawback, I don't have a website with my music for amateur games I made (the music, not the games), but I have a few myspace pages with different music project/band of mine (the only one missing is th eudb/trip hop thing), if it can help you see/hear what I can do.

http://www.myspace.com/lifeconspiracy

http://www.myspace.com/gadgettoys

http://myspace.com/numbtangent

Voilaaa
    Cheers and keep up the good work

edit:Oh, by the way, it's by no means representative of what I can do for games /films.
    I can also be ..."orchestral". I'll make a new myspace page with music I made for amateur games or films and post the link.
    In the meantime I'll tell you what I thought of derelict, what I found is good or not so good.

Here is the link to my new myspace page:

http://www.myspace.com/musicsounddesignforgamesandfilms

I know it might sounds a bit pretentious, but it's not meant to be. It's just an easy way to access my page hehe.

Normally, there is a 5th song in an arcade style, but it's still "being processed".
    I hope someone will like the music a little bit

About derelict:
    I know it's still in beta, but it's merely to give you feedback

I liked the mood and the graphics.

BUT:
    The system of orders could be like terra nova (once again) or rainbow six
    (i.e a better order system)

A better animation (especially for the monsters), and maybe a possibility to run for a moment (the soldier wlak too slowly)

It's a bit too dark too, maybe a better integration of light, or a setting for gamma

sound volume options

will there be other weapons? A secondary weapon?

It reminds me a bit of defcon 5 (on pc and playstation)

more..."personnification" for each character (more distinction)

maybe a few videos? or video logs / audio logs?

Anyways, it looks really promising (the atmosphere was really creepy, good work!!!)

Thanks for your feedback

Quote Originally Posted by edclombe View Post
    Here is the link to my new myspace page:

BUT:
    The system of orders could be like terra nova (once again) or rainbow six
    (i.e a better order system)
    As per Catbarf's request I have been experimenting with more flexibility in the orders, and the next public beta will have a 'follow' option as well as several other commands. I remember playing the demo of Terra Nova as a kid but I can't remember a whole lot about it.

A better animation (especially for the monsters), and maybe a possibility to run for a moment (the soldier wlak too slowly)
    Better animation would be awesome. Infact i'd love to replace both the marines and the aliens. Unfortunately I don't know anything about making 3D animations (both of them are from model compilations with very few changes) and I don't have anyone that can make them for me.

It's a bit too dark too, maybe a better integration of light, or a setting for gamma
    I'll look at putting the ambient light back in at some stage.

sound volume options
    Will do that at some stage.

will there be other weapons? A secondary weapon?
    Marine 2 already has a gatlin gun, and Marine 3's C4 explosives have been replaced with a Grenade launcher attachment in the latest (unreleased) build. I have a pistol model I can use and was considering having one guy running around with double pistols.

more..."personnification" for each character (more distinction)
    I am fully intending to have voice acting for each marine, its largely just a case of putting aside time to write out scripts and convincing people to do it etc.

maybe a few videos? or video logs / audio logs?
    Audio logs maybe, but I don't think even DooM 3 had video logs!

Thanks again for your feedback, i'll keep you guys posted when I have a new version online.

Better animation would be awesome. Infact i'd love to replace both the marines and the aliens. Unfortunately I don't know anything about making 3D animations (both of them are from model compilations with very few changes) and I don't have anyone that can make them for me.
    Okkk I thought you did them yourself!
    I'm sorry I'm too shitty at 3d, and nowadays it's hard to find 3d artists, coders etc......
    By personnification I also thought about a change of textures for the soldier, but as you said you're alone, too bad

I can't clearly remember how I used the orders in terra nova, but I think it made use of 2nd click (yup, twelve years ago with contextual menu =)

The only thing I could help you in is the sound / music sorry
    But the work you're doing (alone!) is very impressive
    Gee, I wish I could do the same.....

Can you please tell me more regarding the problem you had with exiting the level? Which level did you strike problems with? Were all of your other men in the red zone at the end of the level? Did it exit the level but crash or did it just stay in the same level?
    I couldn't reproduce this issue I had, so as it was my first try I probably just made a mistake.

The only thing I could help you in is the sound / music sorry
    But the work you're doing (alone!) is very impressive
    Gee, I wish I could do the same.....
    Thanks man. I had a listen to your myspace page, I feel that definitely "Carpenter style" and maybe "Electro rock" would fit Derelict's atmosphere nicely. The RPG Battle music might work ok for the opening/closing text. You can try it in the game by copying that over the music.mp3 file in the media\sound folder.

If its ok for me to use your music in the game (i'll credit you of course) can you please send your songs through to earok3d at gmail. Cheers.

I didn't wait for your answer to do that myself
    It's not music.mp3 but main.mp3.
    I tried with another music which is some kind of experimental ambient /illbient
    It worked very well hehe.

If its ok for me to use your music in the game (i'll credit you of course) can you please send your songs through to earok3d at gmail. Cheers.
    Of course, but I can even make you a few ones (in the styles you told me you liked most like carpenter and electro-rock).
    I'll send you the one I tried (but it's from a project of mine) to see if you think I could make a few ones like this (I think it worked pretty well, the only drawback is not being able to set sounds/effects and music volumes )

Also, I tried to make a scream for the first monsters. I ended up with something that could be a castrated cloverfield monster!!!! lol (alright, humour is not my forte, but it's 5:22 AM in France, in 3 hours I have to make a 10 minutes short analysis of a film that I could spend a week to analyse)

I replaced the few monster wavefiles with the scream, it's not that bad

It'd be nice if this ran on UNIX...

Why free? At least charge $5 for it when you finish. It will make people take your game more seriously, and you deserve to get some money for all the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by CandyStick View Post
    Why free? At least charge $5 for it when you finish. It will make people take your game more seriously, and you deserve to get some money for all the effort.
    Maybe he wants people to actually play it. How many times have you got out your credit card for a $5 computer game made by some random guy in another country through his Blogspot website?

If the game is good, he'll get kudos and an entry on his portfolio.
    Last edited by Hemebond; 27th Jan 2008 at 23:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemebond View Post
    Maybe he wants people to actually play it. How many times have you got out your credit card for a $5 computer game made by some random guy in another country through his Blogspot website?

If the game is good, he'll get kudos and an entry on his portfolio.
    Heh, its ironic you mentioned about being in another country since I'm an Aucklander. But anyway, I never really considered commercializing the game because I don't feel my talents are refined enough yet, though its possible I might release a $5 special edition of the game with additional content (like those by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw)

cool idea, but you might want to reconsider the name -- kind of sounds like an urban fashion line for homeless people.

Quote Originally Posted by eom View Post
    cool idea, but you might want to reconsider the name -- kind of sounds like an urban fashion line for homeless people.
    Are you kidding? Not only is Derelict a great name, but derelict doesn't mean someone homeless and can't even be applied to people at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Alinestra Covelia View Post
    Very interesting! I'm going to have to sit down and play it properly but I like the gameplay so far. I got to the first intersection after the airlock and positioned my medic in the center with one man facing down each corridor. However, a few of my men fell, and I suspect it was because the medic had gunned them down by mistake when shooting at an incoming hostile.

But that's been pointed out before and I think you're already aware of it, so no worries. Kudos on bringing an old game back to the public!
    I've heard reports claiming that the marines are shooting each other but they're programmed to not fire in the game unless they're guaranteed to hit the alien so I can't seem to find if its a bug or not. Maybe one of the marines got overwelmed by the aliens, opening up a hole for them to get through and then it would have slaughted all of the other men who would have had their backs turned?

Are you kidding? Not only is Derelict a great name, but derelict doesn't mean someone homeless and can't even be applied to people at all.
    Its a Zoolander joke. eom can Derelict my balls

Its a Zoolander joke. eom can Derelict my balls
    Ack, my bad. Sorry eom.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast