TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: On using textures from other games

On using textures from other games

Im building a new industrial arena it will be a kind of futuristik design style, i dont know how long this mission will take to be done, since creating this kind of missions demand a lot of work, lot of details like Quake 4,(complex architecture, lots of textures and so on...), probably this will be the mission of all ive done that will take more time to be constructed, but i promisse that ill have this mission finished no matter the time it takes.

Pedro Quintela

Quote Originally Posted by cardia1 View Post
    Im building a new industrial arena it will be a kind of futuristik design style, i dont know how long this mission will take to be done, since creating this kind of missions demand a lot of work, lot of details like Quake 4,(complex architecture, lots of textures and so on...), probably this will be the mission of all ive done that will take more time to be constructed, but i promisse that ill have this mission finished no matter the time it takes.

Pedro Quintela
    Not being rude, but I certainly hope this mission isn't going to include those textures you ripped from Quake 4 and tried to post for download a day or two ago.

Whats your problem darn it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by New Horizon View Post
    Not being rude, but I certainly hope this mission isn't going to include those textures you ripped from Quake 4 and tried to post for download a day or two ago.

Thats non of youre business!!! i do what i want to my missions...now go opress someone else, people like you are good to stay out of my way

Thats non of youre business!!! i do what i want to my missions...now go opress someone else, people like you are good to stay out of my way
    Sorry, as I said... I was not being rude...and I'm also not trying to oppress you. I'm simply stating a fact, and trying to help point you in the right direction. I've been a member of the community for years now, and have contributed where I could. The simple truth is that it's illegal to steal commercial textures. That's an indisputable fact. I really don't understand why you think you have the right to do that. You don't.

Transferring assets from the game engine of one company into the game engine of another is obviously the wrong choice.

There are LOADS of free textures out there that could be made into Thief 2 textures, with about as much effort as it took you to convert the Quake 4 textures I'm sure.

Anyway. I'm not trying to be mean. I very politely pointed out that posting the texture packs was wrong in the thread that was removed. Both you and Nightstroller were exceptionally rude to me and essentially thumbed your noses at me.

It's common courtesy to respect the copyright of other gaming companies.

The Architect
    cardia1, calm down and act with a little civility.

New Horizon, you should know that textures from other game show up in FMs all the time. Maybe they're from 10 year old games from companies that don't exist anymore, or maybe not; does it really matter? It's one thing to post a collection of textures pulled from a current, popular, released three months ago game, and another thing to release an FM. Would you like to be the one to scour through the FM release list and call foul on the maybe dozen or so missions released just last year that maybe use textures from another game?

It's frowned upon. It happens.

This is a public service announcement - not a discussion.

Im building a new industrial arena it will be a kind of futuristik design style, i dont know how long this mission will take to be done, since creating this kind of missions demand a lot of work, lot of details ,complex architecture, lots of textures and so on..., probably this will be the mission of all ive done that will take more time to be constructed, but i promisse that ill have this mission finished no matter the time it takes.

New Horizon: Im sorry if i lost some control a few moments ago, but since you are member that has been here for a quiet long time how it never come to your attention or how havent you yet noticed that there is many released fms with textures, sounds, and so on from other games? Unless you only play Thief youll never know when some author is using material from other games.
    But this is something that happens in all unofficial expantions to all games,
    and there is nothing wrong with it, it will only benefit, im sure you dont want to play constantly missions using over and over again the same textures , sounds and so on... of that im sure you wouldnt like to happen, everybody likes to see always something different. once again my apologize for my unpolite behaviour, and accept this fact of "illegal material" it wont hurt nobody.

Pedro Quintela

im sure you dont want to play constantly missions using over and over again the same textures , sounds and so on... of that im sure you wouldnt like to happen, everybody likes to see always something different.
    Of course not, everyone wants to see new textures in FM's! I totally support and encourage it. That wasn't my problem with the situation. My main issue was that you posted a package of Quake 4 textures. You're using textures from a relatively new game and from a company that puts a great deal of time and energy into supporting the mod scene. I have great respect for both Id software and Raven. They have both released software development kits for their latest games. I play many different games and am aware that some choose to 'borrow' assets from them. I'm also working on The Dark Mod. We have spent years creating our own assets from the many free texture sources online, and in some cases...taking our own photographs and editing them.

I guess my point is...there are so many great 'free' texture resources available online...we really shouldn't have to 'borrow' them from companies that actively support the modding community.

once again my apologize for my unpolite behaviour, and accept this fact of "illegal material" it wont hurt nobody.

Pedro Quintela
    I apologize as well. I didn't mean to come across as trying to control your mission or creative practices, I only meant to point out that we should show respect to the modding community, and also show support for companies that are actively supporting it...much like Raven and Id does.

I won't say any more.

The Architect
    Thank you for making peace, gentlemen.