In praise of Emil Pagliarulo

"And the Builder said,
    'If the foundation is weak,
    Do you wail and gnash your teeth?
    Do you ask it to repour itself?
    Nay you tear it down a begin anew.
    So shall it be with all my children,
    Whether they be stone or flesh.'"

When I started the Level Designers By Name thread, now abstracted at zdim's site, my intention was to follow up with individual threads for each designer, in which participants who cared to do so could post exclusively positive feedback and commentary about the achievement of these imaginative artists. My goal was to establish a single location to which these designers could turn for a collective word of encouragement.

For this thread, I invite you to contribute your supportive remarks about the work of level designer Emil Pagliarulo, the chief builder of Life of the Party and Precious Cargo (and contributing builder of The Sword's big/little realm and of Eavesdropping).

G.

Rolan

I find it quite a charming story that Emil Pagliarulo wrote the most accurate review of Thief :The Dark Project and went on to design some two outstanding and extensive Thief 2 missions and one of Thief :Gold's most delightful new additions.

------------------
    Head Bouncer and Comptroller General of Kegs, CLAN Larcenio Haul

[This message has been edited by Rolan (edited September 25, 2000).]

Grundbegriff

Originally posted by Rolan:
    I find it quite a charming story that Emil Pagliarulo wrote the most accurate review of Thief
    Yes, let's link to Emil's brilliant, insightful review of Thief: http://www.avault.com/reviews/review...e=thief&page=1

Tzar Sectus

I don't fully relate Emil Pagliarulo with Thief. The first thing which comes to mind is all the fantastic reviews of games he made for Adrenaline Vault. I have him to thank for all the games I played because of his reviews, and all the games I avoided because he said they weren't any good. And yeah, it was because of his review I got Thief in the first place.

Actually, I didn't know before now he was the main man behind Life of the Part and Precious Cargo (which is one of the my favourite missions in T2).

I just hope that Ion Storm Austin hunts this man down and get him to work on Thief 3 at once, that's my piece of advice... or on the other hand, I'd actually like to see him on Adrenaline Vault again so I can yet again know what games to buy without trying them.

-Remi

fett

I think Emil is already onboard for T3 which means we have nothing to fear...

Party & Cargo are IMO the best and most replayable (is that a word?) missions in T2. The word 'non-linear' comes to mind, and I would daresay Emil's maps are something to which many FM builders would do well to study and attain to. To me, LotP is the ultimate Thief experience - the open windows, the night breeze, the light fog, sounds of the City, stealth, strategy, exploration, and climbing/manteling skills all wrapped up in a beautiful map with tons of atmosphere.

Looking forward to more stuff from Emil!

------------------
    *All your money, your pretty necklace, this is my work on such a night. There's a storm coming, over the mountains - I'll be gone, long before the morning...*- Sting

Check out the new KeeperChapel walkthroughs, secret/faq pages, and loot maps for T2 at http://www.thief-thecircle.com/guides/keeperchapel/ . (TDP and TG coming soon).

iCEE

Life of party.... The level that gives me that special Thief 2 feeling After playing the Thief 2 Demo that I have downloaded from the net (my first big-ass download ) I loved the level. As fett said you can repley it over and over and over... Same goes for Precious Cargo. Great levels that made me grow more fund with Thief The Metal Age...

PCommish

I think that Life of the Party is by far the best Thief level ever. I can't wait to see Pagliarulo's Thief III missions. But, heck I can't wait to see Thief III period.

------------------
    SAVE THE BURRICKS!!!!

fett

bump

------------------
    *All your money, your pretty necklace, this is my work on such a night. There's a storm coming, over the mountains - I'll be gone, long before the morning...*- Sting

Check out the new KeeperChapel walkthroughs, secret/faq pages, and loot maps for T2 at http://www.thief-thecircle.com/guides/keeperchapel/ . (TDP and TG coming soon).

aardvark

Emil and Randy are CHIEF designers on T3 at Ion. ; )

Tzar Sectus

Emil is one of the chief designers on T3??? Yay!!!! Suddenly I have no doubt whatsoever that T3 will be extraordinarly paranormally incredibly good!

-Remi

------------------
    Visit Remulac's Lair. The place where all Mechanists are shot on sight (with an upgraded bow as in Thief)!
    Currently in the spotlight on the site: Sir Twirb looks for potatoes in the world of ADOM!

Ion-Emil

Um...wow...damn! How to give a designer a big head!

Well, I just found this thread and all I can say is thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for all the support and confidence you guys have in me and my work.

Thief 2 was my chance to design levels that, as a gamer, I would have wanted to play myself. In fact, while my work -- particularly Life of the Party and Precious Cargo -- was inspired by a lot of different things, most of it came about from my experiences playing different games. Brownie points to anyone who can guess games/scenarios that gave me my particular inspiration.

Anyway, yep, I'm here in Austin with Randy Smith and Lulu Lamer, and we're currently in pre-pre-production, staffing up the project and thinking a lot about what direction the game should take. Me, I've become more and more obsessed with mission/scenario ideas, and am salivating over the types of gameplay I want to try to get away with.

Anyway, thanks again you guys, and I'll try not to disappoint!

-----
    Emil Pagliarulo
    Senior Designer -- Thief 3

Rolan

Originally posted by Ion-Emil:
    Well, I just found this thread and all I can say is thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for all the support and confidence you guys have in me and my work.
    Thank you Emil for those two superb missions. I personally thought Precious Cargo was an absolutely outstanding mission.

Originally posted by Ion-Emil:
    Anyway, yep, I'm here in Austin with Randy Smith and Lulu Lamer, and we're currently in pre-pre-production, staffing up the project and thinking a lot about what direction the game should take. Me, I've become more and more obsessed with mission/scenario ideas, and am salivating over the types of gameplay I want to try to get away with.
    Sounds exciting.

------------------
    Head Bouncer and Comptroller General of Kegs, CLAN Larcenio Haul

[This message has been edited by Rolan (edited September 25, 2000).]

ToolHead

Whee!

This sounds good...

This sounds very good...

This sounds awesome...

(Is it possible to be cryogenically stored, put in stasis or something similar, so that the waiting time until Thief III could be done away with?)

Umm...seriously, though, I have quite a lot to thank Mr. Pagliarulo for.
    The original Thief review captured exactly what the game was about - and it was written so that you just knew that this guy LOVED the game. I just had to buy that game.

And Life of the Party is almost an entire game in itself and easily one of the best missions of Thief II.

Thanks!

------------------
    Aim the Momentum

ThiefinRain

Ion-Emil, appreciate your being with us here. I mean it is good to actually talk to the guy who has given us Life of the Party.
    You will never guess how much enjoyment this mission has given me; the roof-hopping part has really given a new meaning to gaming; it is so real, it cannot be put into words.

So thanks, and wish you the best in your new project.

Lohan2

You guys just made being a 'gamers wife' OK!

KIM PAGLIARULO

ThiefinRain

Hello, Lohan2. Well my wife is definitely not OK. She thinks I'm spending too much time with Thief. She actually believes that I'm in love with it, more so than with her. I think she is jealous.
    Can't a guy love two things in life?

kevinpars

Hope you guys are making the adjustment of moving from Boston to Austin. Just be thankful you are at the Austin office! Austin has great music, cool architecture and great food. Too bad the state government is there as well!

fett

Be sure to check out the local band King's X in Austin- they don't disappoint.

Yes- The Unwelcome Guest demo provided the necessary stress relief to help me through a very difficult time in my life. Because of this, it will always have a special place in my heart.

------------------

Ramon

Let me add my personal praise of Emil.

First anyone who has ever had the pleasure of working with him will tell you that Emil is one of the nicest, most talented, and hardest working men you will even have the chance to meet

Life of the party is an absolute classic Thief mission. Cargo is just a tremendously cool mission. Plus Emil did amazing work on another level taking it from a beautiful shell, to a great mission in about 2 days of work.

I just wish I could have gotten one chance to play.... well I won't comment on that level, but hopefully it can work it's way into Thief 3.

Emil was part of a group of incredible designers who weren't at LG for the first Thief game, and who came in for Thief 2, and just did remarkable work.

I do salute you old friend, and I hope Austin is a good place for you and your family. And hopefully you are actually going home more than 2 nights a week now.

Garrettwannabe

OK Emil - if the "level in question" does not become a Thief 3 level.................it WILL BECOME A FAN MISSION, RIGHT? You and Randy I'm sure have some stuff laying around you're never gonna use...we need to play these!

Garrettwannabe suddenly notices that he sounds like a junkie who needs a fix.......

Dude, please say yes.....

P.S. Life of the Party was just too awesome - in the demo I was using Garrett's sword to try to knock down the bars in the temple to get to the levels that weren't accessable in the demo....

EvilSpirit

Originally posted by Ramon:
    First anyone who has ever had the pleasure of working with him will tell you that Emil is one of the nicest, most talented, and hardest working men you will even have the chance to meet
    I'll certainly second that. He's just so ... jolly.

Emil was part of a group of incredible designers who weren't at LG for the first Thief game, and who came in for Thief 2, and just did remarkable work.
    I'll further note that along with Mike Chrzanowski and Terri Brosius, Emil is one of the folks we took the gamble of bringing onto the Thief II design team with no previous game design experience, and in every case, we couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised with just how well they met the challenge.

[This message has been edited by EvilSpirit (edited September 26, 2000).]

aardvark

Emil does the funniest thing while he buids levels. He chuckles.

You can tell that he's just thinking all the time, he's very intense, and when he thinks of something particularly evil or fun, which is a lot, he chuckles with evil glee.

Pretty soon everybody in our row would be chuckling. It was kind of infectuous.

I think that is a sign of someone who's pretty darn happy at their job, don't you?

------------------
    aard·vark (ärdvärk)
    n.
    A burrowing mammal (Orycteropus afer) of dubious lineage,
    having a stocky, hairy body, large ears, a long tubular snout,
    and powerful digging claws.
    MBOP™
    BBTZOE
    DSBS
    Pooka Power!™

Grundbegriff

Originally posted by aardvark:
    when he thinks of something particularly evil or fun, which is a lot, he chuckles with evil glee.

[This message has been edited by Grundbegriff (edited September 28, 2000).]

MikeC

best way for me to describe Emil is that he is a 30 year old kid. I was able to relate to Emil more then anyone else at LG because we had a very similar childhood that we are both still experiencing. I dont think either of us will ever know what its like to be an adult. A few weeks after I started working at LG, I brought in my Star Trek comminicator and found that it quickly annoyed Rob Caminos. The next day Emil gave me a Klingon dagger that made a CHING sound when you hit the buttons. It amused me and became one of my favorite toys to chase people with and annoy them. I just got all my stuff delivered yesterday and I will be unpacking it soon and bringing it to Sony to chase around my fellow coworkers. Emil's influence will live on with me here. I spent many overnights at LG with Emil a few desks down, and it kind of felt like those sleepovers I had as a kid, staying up all night laughing and playing games. My levels were much better because of Emils influence.

------------------
    Level Designer:
    Shipping and Receiving
    Blackmail
    Member SPCB

BANNED

So Emil is the remarkeable brain behind Life of the Party eh? BRILLIANT WORK man - keep it up and churn out your best work ever for T3. Of all games I've played before, the entire Thief series is my all time favorite!