TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 98 123456111621263136414651 ... LastLast

Thread: No, not another "will there be thief4" thread, but...

No, not another "will there be thief4" thread, but...

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/04/th...hing-starting/

Well, it's not tomb raider for sure.(another studio is working on next tomb raider.)

It's even listed on the company's news page, "The title begins with 't'".

Anyway...just wanted to share the news item.
    Last edited by Flux; 4th Apr 2008 at 12:10.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    Well, it's not tomb raider for sure.
    Not sure why you would come to that conclusion, the article actually says this is the obvious choice. Plus Deus Ex 3 is using the Tomb Raider engine.

Still, we can hope. Maybe Eidos Montreal is dedicated to fixing bad sequels.

Don't know if its relevant, but on Eidos' Montreal Website:

AAA games, with high quality licenses that offer exciting challenges - e.g., the first two games we develop will revive successful franchises
    Could be Deus Ex 3 and Thief 4?
    Last edited by EZ-52; 4th Apr 2008 at 12:56. Reason: Fixed Typo

Southquarter.com/fms
    I think I like that word "revive" very much.

Crystal Dynamics(another studio, not eidos montreal) is working on the next tomb raider and this was announced before.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    I think I like that word "revive" very much.
    Certainly what I was thinking

jtr7
    Of course, it's critical that they consider Thief a successful franchise, by their definition, or it'll never happen. I imagine it'll be a reboot/reimagining, anyway.

It looks like Thief 4 could actually happen. Crazy.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Interesting though that "thief4.com" was just sitting out there, unregistered.

Interesting though that "thief4.com" was just sitting out there, unregistered.
    Perhaps the person who registers domain names for Eidos couldn't spell and accidentally registered "theif4.com" instead.

The If. How fitting.

The banned user, not the game
    yes there will be a thief 4

why else would i have made this name
    User was banned by Digital Nightfall on 8-4-2008

To annoy the hell out of the rest of us?

jtr7

So, can we rule out Total Overdose, TimeSplitters, and Touch the Dead? It could be a trick and the game title starts with the word "The".

Maybe they do something like Bard's Tale with Steampunk and call it Theif.

jtr7
    And will this also nullify the rumour that Bethesda might be involved?

Well, how about a reboot of TDP? That possibility alone is intriguing. How would we, the TTLG fanbase, receive an upgraded version, much like Doom3 was to Doom, and an even better example, Wolf 3D (1992) to Wolfenstein 2D (1981)?

I imagine the first we'd see is the demand for a cohesive SDK/editing suite to be released together with the game. Secondly, we'd hear cries and threats of boycott unless Stephen Russell and Terri Brosius did the voicework.

What do you think?

--
    Larris

Southquarter.com/fms
    I seriously doubt you're going to see a "reboot" of a game that's only 4 years old. If anything, I'd guess a new Thief would be more of a side/alternate plot, not related to The City specifically or Hammers/Keepers/Pagans (although with references to them). Either that or more of a future/modern Thief (aluded to in an interview awhile back with an Eidos exec, who's gone now).

The only faction that Garrett hasn't really dealt with (and that hasn't even been seen since Thief Gold) is the Hand Brotherhood. I'd love to see a game/campaign dedicated to showing Garrett tangling with them.

Regardless of the story they use, if they do something that at all involves Thief, they will have to deal with the fact that there will be a lot of skeptics. In that regard, they will have to prove themselves no matter what direction they take.

For that reason, I wouldn't be opposed to them attempting a re-make at the original, however big those shoes would be to fill. I do not think its impossible to do justice to the originals, but I do think it unlikely that a company would do what is necessary to remain faithful to the series. Any significant changes to the plot would be a no no, unless perhaps it was minor additions to allow for more levels, but even that would be risky.

Given UBI's track record of late, if they did try to make a Thief, (as much as it pains me to say it) I'm sure they would try to include a "living breathing city", much like Assassins Creed or Splinter Cell V. I think that would be a tremendous mistake and wouldnt allow for the detail of the Thief world, but it wouldn't surprise me at all. I'm not much a fan of UBI anymore.

I seriously doubt you're going to see a "reboot" of a game that's only 4 years old.
    Thief is a decade old sir...only Deadly Shadows is 4 years old.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Whoops, I misread TDP as TDS. Now a remake of the The Dark Project? Ouch, isn't that like rewriting the bible? I'd love a Thief 4, but I think I would be very against a remake of the original. It's almost a cop out too, as there are so many potential stories to tell in the Thief mythology.

I've mentioned this before, but how about something like Garrett's greatest hits, his biggest heists before getting involved with Bafford's?

Quote Originally Posted by Specter View Post
    Given UBI's track record of late, if they did try to make a Thief, (as much as it pains me to say it) I'm sure they would try to include a "living breathing city", much like Assassins Creed or Splinter Cell V. I think that would be a tremendous mistake and wouldnt allow for the detail of the Thief world, but it wouldn't surprise me at all. I'm not much a fan of UBI anymore.
    The Thief intellectual property is owned by Eidos, not by Ubisoft. The rumor here is about Eidos Montreal -- not Ubisoft -- developing Thief IV.

I've mentioned this before, but how about something like Garrett's greatest hits, his biggest heists before getting involved with Bafford's?

No. This kind of premise is proper for an expansion pack. I could live with Thief set in modern times, for example, but it has to have a strong storyline.
    Last edited by Zillameth; 4th Apr 2008 at 17:33. Reason: Added quote

I know I'll get flamed for this, but...

I would like a proper sequel to TDS (story wise, of course, not gameplay!), with the girl as the player character and Garrett as the head of the reformed Keepers.

Remember this:
    http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3134177

1UP: What should we expect from Eidos in the near future?

Dyer: We're going to try to get more of a consumer focus into our games. Deus Ex: Invisible War was a good game with solid reviews, but not enough people bought it. We'll fix that in the future. There definitely will be a Deus Ex 3. People want another Thief, too. We'll make that series more modern, though...the medieval thing's run its course. The coming year will bring some really new, innovative titles, plus comebacks from many brands gamers are already familiar with.
    Year, 2004

Page 1 of 98 123456111621263136414651 ... LastLast