TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 45 of 98 FirstFirst ... 51015202530354041424344454647484950556065707580859095 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 2448

Thread: No, not another "will there be thief4" thread, but...

jtr7
    Welll, except for the part that the guy with the business card actually just came out and said what NO ONE ELSE at Eidos has said for over a year. Will they stop the T-easing now?

But it sounds like they haven't trashed the idea and would like to see it in the next couple years.
    Eidos montreal noted recently in their site that soon there will be news for the "second project". So there are no excuses or too much time for a "real" update from their point of view.

jtr7
    Yeah, they were supposed to work on no more than two projects at time. They ended up only working on one, and that is/was Deus Ex 3, while the second project never got off the ground, and most of the job openings for it were never filled, and the few that were were either absorbed into the Deus Ex team, or went away for any of a myriad of reasons. Now all the jobs have been reopened for applicants.

Quote Originally Posted by Chade View Post
    Sneaksie, it is true that pc gaming had particularly high prominence in the later 90s ... but I suspect that this is just going to be a historical blip due to the pc's early adoption of the internet/internet community.
    Historical blip or not, it's still a time of golden age material. I mean, after doom in 1994, you got more complex, but also more story, etc. of video games. Once we hit the 90s, technology had developed enough to allow for new things throughout the 90s.

However, I disagree that you are not talking about genres. (I'm out on a bit of a limb here, because I wasn't playing many games in the 80s/early 90s.) But when you say that gaming started to become "complex" in the 90s, it seems to me that this is only true of the FPS, RPG, and RTS genres. Other genres, like adventure games and turn based strategies, seemed to grow less complex and eventually all but dissappeared.
    You got me there... Good point. My point wasn't just that games became complex, as in complex = polygons, 3d world.... I mean the whole shebang: graphics, physical level design, storyline, etc. Though you could argue that complex includes all these things. I guess it depends on your definition of complex.

This rise in complexity of out favourite genres (this forum has a heavy bias towards FPS/RPG), plus the fact that the 90s were unusual in that the internet was practically owned by the pc (we also have a heavy bias towards pc games), means that most people here will see the 90s as a golden age of gaming. But I think that this is only really true "locally" ... looking at the gaming industry as a whole, I do not think the 90s were a unique golden age.
    Whether I'm biased towards computer games or not, I think is probably not too relevant because non-pc gamers or non-hardcore gamers could still look at it and think it's a golden age. Also, I don't quite understand what you mean by "locally." Are you talking about in the United States only, or are you referring to a particular state/city? Hmm, I hadn't thought about overseas. You may have a good point there, but I could at least say "the 1990s in the United States was a golden age of video games."

EDIT: Oh, and yeah ... sorry about the whole tangent thing ... but at the end of the day, this thread is currently 44 pages long and is going to go on for months. This conversation will end soon, and a bit of thief 4 news will come out, and the thread will be right back on track. I don't think it's a big deal.
    Yeah, guess you're right.

jtr7
    I would like to sense something, like what is discussed here about LGS, coming through a new Thief game:
    Randy Smith: What did you think about working at Looking Glass?

Greg LoPiccolo: Looking Glass had a ton of intellectual ferment. They had a very clear understanding that this was a medium whose boundaries could be expanded, and they were going to be the people to do it. All kinds of ambitious things were being attempted in different domains, and there was very little process. It was very chaotic, and they were figuring it out on the fly.

RS: It’s worth noting that Looking Glass tended to produce sophisticated gaming experiences that appealed most to people who could get through the barrier to entry.

GL: That was something the staff was aware of. To a great degree, it was in the DNA of the place: complicated people making complicated experiences. I think Thief was actually pretty accessible compared to some of the stuff we’d done before.

I told you they have no time to play with us

http://www.eidosmontreal.com/

From the letters only i could say thief 4 is coming.

jtr7
    EDIT: Since I keep getting the credit, I will ask readers to look to the post immediately preceding this one, to see that Kin spotted the letters first. And if you cannot be arsed to look back one post, here's the quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kin View Post
    I told you they have no time to play with us

http://www.eidosmontreal.com/

From the letters only i could say thief 4 is coming.
    To which I responded to both statements, in order of appearance:

They've played with us for over a year, so NOW they have no more time.

Thanks for the head's up.

Replaced the pic with a Photobucket copy, though here's the link to the site's original version for now.

So the rarely-used font is the same? EDIT: I don't think so. They are in the same family, but I was really asking Kin a question, non-rhetorical, and still wonder if that's what he was thinking when he made his post.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...75#post1842475
    Last edited by jtr7; 1st May 2009 at 23:28. Reason: Death to researchless or willful misinformation!

just a joke

jtr7
    Scared me for a sec!

Quote Originally Posted by Kin View Post
    just a joke
    haha, nice

hell yeah, was about time

@Kin, haha classic.

Ah yes, good old Carleton Regular.
    The knife-like J really gives it away.
    Houston, we have a match.
    Last edited by demagogue; 14th Apr 2009 at 03:50.

jtr7
    Here's hoping Square-Enix and Eidos can give serious consideration to releasing the old Thief materials to us archivist Keeper types, including the Dark Engine Source Code, and if they can, the Siege Engine code, and many more goodies sitting on aging discs somewhere ('twould be great if it was literally burned on a gold disc for longevity!).

http://www.petitiononline.com/TDPT2/petition.html

Assuming any team member is looking at this thread.

Clearinghouse
    Kin,

That petition is so old, I forgot if I signed it or not. In any case, the wording needs to be updated, if only to remove the reference to Thief3.

Hopefully Eidos forthcoming announcement will be that they've been working on Thief4 for the last several years and it'll be out by summer.

jtr7
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Ah yes, good old Carleton Regular.
    The knife-like J really gives it away.
    Houston, we have a match.
    Hmmm. Nope. I'm not seeing Carelton, but it looks familiar, and it's in the font-family of the TDS map instead.
    Last edited by jtr7; 16th Apr 2009 at 06:25.

The Architect
    I am going to go out on a limb here and predict that if they are indeed working on a Thief game, it's going to be a franchise reboot like what they did with the new Prince of Persia game, and not a continuation of the series. I am also not entirely convinced that this is a bad thing.

C'mon Digi, we know you important TTLG types are plugged in and know about all this stuff way before it's publicly announced. Fess up...

jtr7
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Nightfall View Post
    I am going to go out on a limb here and predict that if they are indeed working on a Thief game, it's going to be a franchise reboot like what they did with the new Prince of Persia game, and not a continuation of the series. I am also not entirely convinced that this is a bad thing.
    Agreed. It would be pretty interesting to see them actually do what we merely talk about doing with the OMs (very generally speaking).

The Architect
    I am not sure what you mean. What is who talking about doing with the OMs?

I mean a complete reboot... no Garrett, no Keepers, no Hammerites, no The City. The game would be called "Thief" (no subtitle) and would have no continuity whatsoever with our games. However, I do think they'll still keep the fantasy world setting; just one unfamiliar to us.

That's my guess.

jtr7
    Well, you didn't say THAT, the first time.

Doesn't mean you don't know what I was referring to.

I think I might like that, Nightfall.

Actually, let me rephrase.

I would love to see the same setting, the same factions, and a mysterious plot (and when I say mysterious, I mean I hope to be totally baffled for the first few hours of play) revolving around the grim return of the Keepers.

But if they're going to scratch Garrett, I hope they take on an entirely new viewpoint rather than that girl's. If I can't have Garrett, I want something totally fresh—no direct (some clever allusions would be cool) connections between the new protagonist and our beloved master thief.

*waits anxiously for further news*

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    Once we hit the 90s, technology had developed enough to allow for new things throughout the 90s ... I mean the whole shebang: graphics, physical level design, storyline ... Whether I'm biased towards computer games or not, I think is probably not too relevant because non-pc gamers or non-hardcore gamers could still look at it and think it's a golden age. Also, I don't quite understand what you mean by "locally." ...

Well, I just mean by locally, that ... things look this way to you because you focus on a particular brand of games which really hit their stride in the 90s. I am not sure if gamers from different niches would look at the 90s and think it was a golden age.

I've seen gamers from some niches (wargamers, IF fans, etc etc ...) talk bitterly about how gaming was dumbed down in the 90s to cater for all the "graphics whores" who wanted real time 3d graphics, etc ...

On the other hand, people who primarily play shooters, or fans of arthouse games, would look at the 90s and think that gaming wasn't very sophisticated back then (EDIT: and has got better since).

The Architect
    Nope, I still don't. Maybe I am forgetting something.

And "a franchise reboot like what they did with the new Prince of Persia game," pretty much says exactly what I elaborated. To be again clear, the newest Prince of Persia game had absolutely nothing to do with any other game bearing that title.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Nightfall View Post
    I am not sure what you mean. What is who talking about doing with the OMs?

I mean a complete reboot... no Garrett, no Keepers, no Hammerites, no The City. The game would be called "Thief" (no subtitle) and would have no continuity whatsoever with our games. However, I do think they'll still keep the fantasy world setting; just one unfamiliar to us.

That's my guess.
    That is bad.
    Without Garrett it will be a failure for me.

Page 45 of 98 FirstFirst ... 51015202530354041424344454647484950556065707580859095 ... LastLast