TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 60 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1015202530354045505556575859606162636465707580859095 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 2448

Thread: No, not another "will there be thief4" thread, but...

Imagine the best possible scenario, that some mysterious team of developers have stalked these forums, invisible for a long time, eavesdropping the conversations, picking ideas ad choosing the best ones, reading the debates about features in the last games and picking the ones most appraised, etc.

Then they would take these ideas and make a... no the perfect game.

Just incase it was missed in the thread I posted, got a couple new tidbits from PCGamer:
    http://thereticule.com/2009/05/more-thievery-acoming/

here is the real one

Quote Originally Posted by Platinumoxicity View Post
    Imagine the best possible scenario, that some mysterious team of developers have stalked these forums,
    Hmmm. Does anyone know if any of the original LGS people have any ties to Eidos Montreal? Might have already been discussed, but I don't know.

jtr7
    It was discussed just hours ago, or was it yesterday? With a thread this big, it's understandable to have no intention of scanning page after page, BUT you can try the search function. Okay, to answer the question: NOT AT ALL. Now, it's possible--as with Eric Brosius and others--that they might put a call out and ask the former-LGS people if they'd like to chip in, consult, or come on board for a brief time, or see it through 'til the end.

And thanks, Evo.

I wonder how much of this Thief III anticipation covers the same bases, and how much our collective opinion may have changed?
    Last edited by jtr7; 2nd May 2009 at 11:37.

Finally PC Gamer’s ‘Spy’ all but reveals in his usual way in the next issue (on sale 7th May) that Eidos Montreal are indeed working on Thief 4. Incidentally the ‘Spy’ alludes that the previous plans for a new Thief to be set in the modern era have been shelved.
    Heh, this is really good news!

Oh wow. That would definitely appear to be the Thief font they're hiding behind that banner.

Yes, thanks evo....

Finally PC Gamer’s ‘Spy’ all but reveals in his usual way in the next issue (on sale 7th May) that Eidos Montreal are indeed working on Thief 4. Incidentally the ‘Spy’ alludes that the previous plans for a new Thief to be set in the modern era have been shelved.

Putting this all together it is a nigh on certainty that on May 11th we will see Eidos Montreal announce that they are hard at work on Thief 4 and that it will still take place in its usual setting.

I don't know what the journalist is talking about, but if this is true, there is a spy, and the spy is telling the truth we've got what we want! (I mean the medieval setting.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kin View Post
    here is the real one
    WINNER! Totally epic win. (looks almost perfect Kin) At this point it's gotta be thief 4. Unless they are just playing a very, very cruel prank.

Heh, it appears this thread has gotten some lurkers to join our forums! Particularly Seniath and Evo.

Still Subjective
    Confirmed then. Nice.

So Garrett is back, then. Can't say I'm happy - I'm pretty much confident that Garrett's story is over. Any attempts to fit him into another 'save the world' scenario would most probably result into a disaster story-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    Yes, thanks evo....

I don't know what the journalist is talking about, but if this is true, there is a spy, and the spy is telling the truth we've got what we want! (I mean the medieval setting.)

Heh, it appears this thread has gotten some lurkers to join our forums! Particularly Seniath and Evo.
    Not a problem!

I assume by journalist you are talking about the piece on The Reticule? Well I did that so let me explain: PC Gamer UK has a feature called 'The Spy' where they divulge info about unannounced game and such like.

Heh this looks like a fun place, think I'll be sticking around here a bit

Quote Originally Posted by d'Spair View Post
    So Garrett is back, then. Can't say I'm happy - I'm pretty much confident that Garrett's story is over. Any attempts to fit him into another 'save the world' scenario would most probably result into a disaster story-wise.
    The story doesn't have to be "save the world" but "save himself", it would fit more to his nonchalant character. After all Garrett doesn't care for the world much, only his pocket

Quote Originally Posted by Too Much Coffee View Post
    Hmmm. Does anyone know if any of the original LGS people have any ties to Eidos Montreal? Might have already been discussed, but I don't know.
    I spoke directly with the HR director at Eidos Montreal last summer. She said they would 'recruit some experienced developers' but it sounded like it would mostly be the DE team. I also don't see Emil, Randy, etc. moving to Montreal. She had no knowledge of ttlg or of DromEd - didn't have the slightest clue what either one was. Unless there's been huge personnel changes at EM, I think we should all resign ourselves to the fact that we are too small of an audience to target, and any new Thief projects will be aimed at a larger (read:dumber) crowd in the console market. T4 will be two steps removed from anything LGS envisioned for the originals, and the realistic perspective is that EM loses very little by making a clean break with past Thief mythology, core gameplay issues, and especially niggling details like water, rope arrows, and game economy. Not trying to be a pessimist, just trying to be realistic.

Give me dark mod, thats going to be my Thief 4 for me.

I hope the devs choose a setting that they feel comfortable with, where the writer knows he has something to do, lots of things to tell and an interesting development for the characters rather than a contrived sequel with the same characters and timeline.

Sure, there's a lot to be told on The City whatever the epoch, but I too think that the new age shouldn't have garrett as we know him as a main character in it. His psychology however is a core element to the game.

Also, what fett said.

Quote Originally Posted by fett View Post
    T4 will be two steps removed from anything LGS envisioned for the originals, and the realistic perspective is that EM loses very little by making a clean break with past Thief mythology, core gameplay issues, and especially niggling details like water, rope arrows, and game economy. Not trying to be a pessimist, just trying to be realistic.
    For a short time today, I was very happy after I read the news of Thief IV. Now I'm already depressed. Reality sucks.

I did some Google research on those quotes in the pic, and what I could find included Thief!

Gamespot "Ten Best Heroes In Gaming" - Garrett is on the list, JC Denton is not
    http://www.gamespot.com/features/ten...oes/hero8.html

Gamespot "Greatest Games of All Time" - Thief is on the list, Deus Ex is not
    http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/fea...mes/index.html
    http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/fea...ames/p-33.html

I'd say it's pretty positive now, Thief 4 will be officially announced next week, probably still at least two years away from release though, maybe even three or four!
    Last edited by Komag; 2nd May 2009 at 14:45.
    The Keep for Thief 1 and 2 FMs, Shadowdark for Thief 3 and Dark Mod FMs

And meanwhile we may as well have a good campaign for The Dark Mod...

Edumacated
    Quote Originally Posted by jtr7 View Post

Hopefully not:
    lmao, clearly this is the logo for the wii version

I propose the new game be called what Thief 3 should've been called:
    Thief: The Dark Age
    T3 should have been tagged "Silent But Deadly".

Quote Originally Posted by fett View Post
    I spoke directly with the HR director at Eidos Montreal last summer. She said they would 'recruit some experienced developers' but it sounded like it would mostly be the DE team. I also don't see Emil, Randy, etc. moving to Montreal. She had no knowledge of ttlg or of DromEd - didn't have the slightest clue what either one was. Unless there's been huge personnel changes at EM, I think we should all resign ourselves to the fact that we are too small of an audience to target, and any new Thief projects will be aimed at a larger (read:dumber) crowd in the console market. T4 will be two steps removed from anything LGS envisioned for the originals, and the realistic perspective is that EM loses very little by making a clean break with past Thief mythology, core gameplay issues, and especially niggling details like water, rope arrows, and game economy. Not trying to be a pessimist, just trying to be realistic.
    I think that's surely a worst case scenario. Resign yourself to that, and then hopefully be surprised and delighted by every little concession and inspiration from the original games that shines through.

The fact that they're releasing these little teases shows that they know there's a dedicated Thief fanbase to be excited by them. If they were really just going to do their own thing and not worry about living up to the status of past games, why bother doing that? Why not just ignore the fans completely and just rebrand it whilst pretending there were no previous games.

Maybe I'm naive to be hopeful, but I guess my point is that it's too soon to spell doom and gloom on the project. Hopefully come May 11th we'll have a better idea of their take on the series and what they are going to bring to the franchise.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    Yeah!!! This is a great notice, indeed! Maybe it has been my poll that made them changing idea?

Southquarter.com/fms
    As long as they release an editor, I don't even care that much if the "official" game sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    As long as they release an editor, I don't even care that much if the "official" game sucks.

I don't think you are right. I don't play Thief 3 FMs and I only tried T3ED recently, but I play Thief 3 OMs regularly, because I enjoy the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    An editor won't really make a sucky game better. Just a bit less sucky.
    I personally would rather see a great game with no editor than the other way around.

Page 60 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1015202530354045505556575859606162636465707580859095 ... LastLast