TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: possible OBLIVION mod, loosely inspired by Thief

Isn't the visible glowing white skin a bit detrimental to stealth?

(I hate excessive bloom that makes light-coloured things like pale skin glow like light sources)

I let the outfits show a little skin because I think sexy is cool

what you're saying is that letting people choose between a version of the outfit that show some skin and one that does not, might be a good idea.
    Yeah I'll do that.

I was mostly just complaining about Oblivion's broken Bloom mechanics that make white-skinned peoples' skin glow, but yes, you should include a fully clothed version too.

really now problem for me to include two versions of the outfit
    Oblivions bloom handling is awfull, yes

I gave in to the temptation of posting a few pics of what I've been up to these past few days after I picked up working on the mod again.
    So here are two fresh sceenies.

The entrance to some holy place I am in the middle of creating, the place is a bit original, and there will be dead guys walking about, making the place deadly

This picture is from todays work, and you can see from the empty space in the wall that the structure is a work in progress, it takes forever to come up with and create these things you know

That's all the pics for now then, Cheers!

Amazing! If not for the UI I'd guess it isa screenie from Thief rather than Oblivion

Quote Originally Posted by ~s:a:n:i:t:y~ View Post
    Amazing! If not for the UI I'd guess it isa screenie from Thief rather than Oblivion
    Thanks ~s:a:n:i:t:y~ I'm very glad to hear that !

I find much inspiration from thief:gold, and hopefully this mod will look a little bit similar although Oblivion is using a different engine + UI.

I had some spare time to play the mod a little today and take some pics. The mod isn't finished but I sometime play through the current build to see if I can spot any bugs.

Though this is a mod focusing on stealth and fighting back means certain death, I thought I should post some action pics just to show the consequences of being spotted or noticed at the wrong place by the wrong people.

If people play this mod the way it is supposed to be played though, there shouldn't be much fighting taking place

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ~s:a:n:i:t:y~ View Post
    Agreed, nice work, it looks great.

EDIT: By the way, you should post this over at http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/in...p?showforum=25
    Last edited by Tiranasta; 27th Jan 2010 at 17:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiranasta View Post
    Agreed, nice work, it looks great.

EDIT: By the way, you should post this over at http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/in...p?showforum=25
    Thanks Tiranasta I enjoy the feedback

About bethsoft and their forums, I have made a wip thread over there, but it went unnoticed, and to this day it only had 34 views and no replies

First time I've ever uploaded anything to youtube, and then youtube degrades the quality of the video making it barely viewable
    Youtube hates me

anyways, this vid if you can bare to watch it, illustrates hopefully how the mod was influenced and inspired by thief, yet is no direct replica (as that would be too difficult using the Oblivion engine anyway)

Possible Spoiler Alert! Though there shouldn't be any as far as I can tell.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJPYW1OjZcA

Opal

The video's fine, and the mod looks nice. Perhaps you should slightly increase the distance at which the guards become hostile?

glad you like the vid!

Might be a good time for me to get into some detail about the sneaking part of the mod.

sneaking in vanilla oblivion was pretty much that way yes, the AI would notice you approaching at a certain distance no matter how sneaky you were, from behind or lurking in shadows, hardly made any difference..

But here, the determining factor is light only, so whether you're an inch away or fifty feet, the AI will only notice you if you step into the light.

So to make the guards detect you easier, I would have to put up more lightsources or adjust the ones already in place.

Oblivion lights also fade, so if at the source, the light hitting the player is 250 250 250 strong, then on the outskirt of the affected area, the light hitting the player will be much weaker,, let's say 15 15 15 strong. So if the player wants to stay hidden from the view of the AI, he/she must avoid getting too close to the center of the lightsource. Of course an AI facing the opposite direction will not see the player even if the player is bathed in light.

To make things more complicated there is also the possible interference of other nearby light sources.

For instance the player can get close enough to a lightsource to receive 54 54 54 without AI spotting the player.
    But if the player is at the same time hit by faded light from a remote lightsource, let's say 20 20 20 then the total amount of light hitting the player ( 54 54 54 + 20 20 20 ) will make the player visible to the AI.

So staying in shadows or at the outskirt of a lighted area make you invisible, exposing yourself to too much light makes you easy to detect. Distance to AI is not playing a big part in this.

Changing the amount of which the light is fading, is also a effective way of changing the difficulty and risk of AI detection, well nothings carved in stone yet so I'll keep all options open for now.

Btw here is a video showing how hidden you are sneaking in the shadows and how easily detected you are if you wander into the light.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvSSwDIMMCs

Cheers!
    Opal

Sounds cool. You should add 'alert levels' like in Thief. I seem to recall there being some Oblivion mod a while back that added them.

I like your suggestion, but I'm not sure if I can pull it off, Having guards have different alert levels like in Thief would be cool indeed, and I'll try to tinker with a few settings and see if I come up with anything useful.

Problem is there are so many settings affecting the sneaking/guard detection in Oblivion, that fine tuning each one individually would take months. I will see if I find the time to work on that someday, but it will mean a lot of extra work.

The Oblivion game settings which seem relevant to sneaking and detection are as far as I can work out :

Fdetectionsneaklightmod -5.0000

fdetectionactiontimer 1.2000

fdetectioncommenttimer 30.0000

fdetectiontimersetting 0.3000

fAIawareofplayertimer 10.0000

fAIpursuedistancelineofsight 2500.0000

fAIradiustorundetectionexterior 2000.0000

fsneakbasevalue -25.0000

fsneakexteriordistancemult 2.0000

fsneaklightmult 1.4000

fsneaklostmin -20.0000

fsneakmaxdistance 1500.0000

fsneaknoticedmin -20.0000

fsneakrunningmult 1.3000

fsneakseenmin 0.0000

fsneakskillmult 0.5000

fsneaksleepbonus -10.0000

fsneaksoundlosmult 1.0000

fsneaksoundsmult 1.6000

fsneakswimminglightmult 0.5000

fsneaktargetattackbonus 100.0000

fsneaktargetincombatbonus 25.0000

fsneakunseenmin 0.0000

isneakskillusedistance 1000

These numbers are the default Oblivion values of course.

I think maybe the mod you were thinking of, may have been Reneer's Guard Overhaul?
    http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5977
    RGO uses scripts mostly to achieve desired behavior, and scripts unfortunately is not my strong side

If you want help, I could learn Oblivion scripting. I've been meaning to do so anyway.
    Last edited by Tiranasta; 3rd Feb 2010 at 02:18.

Hi Tiranasta. thank you for the generous offer.

Scripting npc responses I guess is pretty advanced stuff and mimicing the behaver from Thief using Oblivion scripting might be out of reach to even the most skillful of scripters.

However adjusting the fdetectioncommenttimer to a lower value reveals that the AI notices the presence of the player approaching early through the shadows and will comment verbally on the "detection" even though the AI will not go after and attack the player before "visually detecting" the player.

Is it possible to use the early detection revealed by the fdetectioncommenttimer, to set the Ai into a Thief-guard like "search mode" through scripts?
    I honestly have no idea?!

Scripting tutorials are gathered here though I'm sure you already know that:
    http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki...ting_Tutorials

About help, well any script that is Thief-like might be useful I suppose, if you could come up with
    something similar to the stuff that came with Thieves Arsenal, that would be neat since my attempt to obtain permission to implement anything from TA was unsuccessful.

If you decide to learn scripting though, water arrows might be an easy thing to do to get started.
    Basically that would meen a script that swaps a lit-torch with a non-lit-torch upon impact with an arrow ("water arrow"). Very basic stuff.

What other scripts would be useful to a Thief like mod like this? Hm..
    You know in a typical Thief scenario you could pick up a fire arrow, shoot it at a dead torch on the wall and set it on fire and a secret door would open.

Maybe this mod could use something similar?

So I guess that would require a script that swaps a dead torch with a live one and activates a door, when hit with an arrow ("fire arrow").

If you think any of this seems interesting, you could have a go at it, no pressure or anything, all up to you, no deadline monster breathing down your neck

Btw!
    here's a small vid showing some acrobatics.
    The interesting part is actually the last few seconds as they reveal the mantling function I invented for the mod.
    You walk into a wall (specially prepared for mantling purposes) and you instantly get "mantled" up to a ledge or mantle or surface otherwise out of your reach in vanilla Oblivion... happens so fast that I show it twice at the end there, to give you an impression of how effective it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__Sutg7-Zwo
    Last edited by Opal-Eyed Fan; 5th Feb 2010 at 19:19.

Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Opal-Eyed Fan View Post
    Hi Tiranasta,
    sorry.. had to take a break from mod'ing, had to focus all my attention towards getting myself married .
    I'm back now

Working on various structures, things are moving along now at a steady pace.

Haven't shot any new pics yet, but I have these old ones showing off some clothes I've previously prepared for the mod.

A nice outfit for a lady

--------------------------------------------------

Outfit for the female thief

---------------------------------------------------

Outfit for the male thief

---------------------------------------------------

Some plain clothes

I tried to make the thief outfits look cool, but ofcourse someone might rather be preferring the standard oblivion black robe of the dark brotherhood to the this stuff.

Well I could make pictures of the stuff that I'm working on right now, but Patience is a virtue so I'll save that for another update.
    Your work is splendid, I can't believe how cool it is & I'm really excited about playing in a more Thief like world; you have nailed it my friend.

Congratulations on getting married!

Quote Originally Posted by hoots7 View Post
    Your work is splendid, I can't believe how cool it is & I'm really excited about playing in a more Thief like world; you have nailed it my friend.

Congratulations on getting married!
    Thank you, thank you, thank you
    You're very kind hoots7!

Opal

"original text deleted due to lack of response"

Let's put a picture in it's place.

Last edited by Opal-Eyed Fan; 31st Aug 2010 at 21:36.

Hey Opal-eyed Fan.
    It's great to see you working on stealth based mods for oblivion.
    I have been meaning to make a thread and ask Thief fans here in TTLG with modding experience to come together and make a big mod inspired by thief for oblivion!
    There already are mods like thieves arsenal with basso, so why not make a much bigger mod? The soundset of Garrett is also available for oblivion for your protagonist to speak like Garrett and make random comments =) What do you think about that idea? =)

Looks like a very intriguing mod Opal...and congrats on getting married btw.

You seem to be working thru some of the limitations and challenges of the Oblivion engine well...and it does indeed look fun what is happening.

There are several good places to get help on scripting and much more, including a informal academy of teachers and students of the engine that works to learn and share such things. I wanted to post and see if you are still active on this...and to ask what you may need help with....and to also say it looks great so far and glad you are enjoying the creative side of it all the the CS.

Quote Originally Posted by Tushaar View Post
    Hey Opal-eyed Fan.
    It's great to see you working on stealth based mods for oblivion.
    I have been meaning to make a thread and ask Thief fans here in TTLG with modding experience to come together and make a big mod inspired by thief for oblivion!
    There already are mods like thieves arsenal with basso, so why not make a much bigger mod? The soundset of Garrett is also available for oblivion for your protagonist to speak like Garrett and make random comments =) What do you think about that idea? =)
    I did not know the soundset of Garrett was available, it's interesting and I'll think about it. Do you have a link?
    Thieves Arsenal is a very cool thief inspired mod, ironically I can't use it for this mod because I lack the permission, but I think I've managed to make things interesting and thieflike without it.

I think most people who would want to make thief fanmissions for Oblivion, want to see the end result of this effort before getting into it. Afterall if What I eventually release turn out to be crap they haven't wasted their time and energy on a pointless project

But if I produce a good result then that proves that everyone who want to can make something thief insprired of their own, a entire theif world of their own, or just a stand alone level with a mansion, an priceless item and an escape route.

My intention is ofcourse and has been from the beginning to make the whole mod available to anyone who wants to add anything or change something after it's been released.
    So when people download the mod they can if they like, make additional levels or other content or whatever. Or maybe someone figures I did mistakes and they want to improve or fix something, well go ahead
    Or if they just want to see how I did things and borrow ideas and make a complete seperate mod based on their own cool ideas, that's also a wonderful thing.

About after release moddability:

I've changed the structure of events in the mod several times already, right now the mod is,
    1. a very small city. Basically it is My version of Bafford and Cragsleft, + an ancient Hammer temple complex which comes purely from my imagination, and then a bunch of various houses in between. There are no loadzones to get from A to B or to even enter these structures. Which makes it more like Thief I think.
    For modders to add more areas or things to do in the city part of the mod after it's released should be a peice of cake really.

2. After finding the hidden portal in the city the player has to make his/her way though a couple of levels representing different challenges and gameplay styles. All very different and accessed through those dreaded loadzones. This is where I'm busy working right now, it's going to be interesting and fun to play. Some of it will be thief gameplay some of it will not.
    For modders to come up with new challenges and levels and adding them here should be a piece of cake

3. After making it through the challenges, players arrive at a world space with an island where the they finally find the object they set out to find. After that they can go do whatever, leave or stay, though hopefully many will choose toexplore the island a bit further as I've spent countless
    hours making the Island an interesting place, though the gameplay here is more traditional Oblivionstyle adventuring. Should be easy to add or change things on the island also for interested modders.

What I also want to do is put together a little *Oblivion: modding for beginners* tut, using this mod as a toolbox for learning and getting into modding fro Oblivion. It can be more than a little frustrating to get into the workings of the tesV cs. I should know, after my first week of trying to learn the damn thing I was actually brought to tears by the lack of proper instructions.
    Hopefully the tutorial should be released with the mod if all goes well.
    Heavens knows that I'm no expert, it would be more like a beginner sharing some basic learnings with fellow beginners.

Quote Originally Posted by CrisGer View Post
    Looks like a very intriguing mod Opal...and congrats on getting married btw.

You seem to be working thru some of the limitations and challenges of the Oblivion engine well...and it does indeed look fun what is happening.

There are several good places to get help on scripting and much more, including a informal academy of teachers and students of the engine that works to learn and share such things. I wanted to post and see if you are still active on this...and to ask what you may need help with....and to also say it looks great so far and glad you are enjoying the creative side of it all the the CS.
    Thank you CrisGer

Scripting is not something I'm good at, If I knew my way around scripts.....
    I'm going to think about it, I'll Pm you if I have questions I'm struggling with scripts, maybe you could look over some scripts that I'm using?

cheers!
    Opal
    Last edited by Opal-Eyed Fan; 25th Oct 2010 at 07:36.

small update

So, finally being 100 * 100 * 100 % finished with the main part of the

mod, I now play around with different gameplay and level design. The intention is to make the

mod last longer and hopefully add more fun and challenge to it

After the player has completed the city, which is Thief style gameplay all the way, he or she can

expect to go through some levels that offer different environements and more varied fun

All though I know most people will prefer Thief gameplay to any other, I really think this is cool and

want to say, give it a chance folks, you might think it's cool too!

Here's a quick look at what I'm working on this week:

cheers!

video

Howdy,

finished work on that particular level last night, it turned out pretty ok I think, what a relief,

so today I uploaded a small video to celebrate...

YEY me.. ! ! ! took me forever to finish a level that should have taken only 1 week!

Now to relax a little a day or two.

anyways, here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmPQCxkPARA

cheers!
    Last edited by Opal-Eyed Fan; 1st Nov 2010 at 20:47.

Ok time for a small update,
    still experimenting with different gameplay variations and this week I've been going scifi.

Here's a presentation of what I've been up to this week,
    and allthough what it shows is still just an early draft,
    it should provide some hints of what it might be like to play when it's finished.
    Will take more than one week to finish this segment I'm afraid,
    if I go along with the story line I've thought of so far,
    it will be a lot of work to finish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VfNO8JPwbM

cheers!
    opal

hi, small update, been working on getting spaceships working in Oblivion and here are some videos showing the progress thus far

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBzgjpJWRVg

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G71gcegAYnc

cheers!
    Opal

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast