TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Thread: Therapy-forum: Tell us the story behind your username

Thiefunny

Brilliant idea of joining Thief and Funny as a name Thiefunny. (Thiffany in original?)

B.T.K

My user name comes from the first three letters I randomly typed on my keyboard. That is genius, do you understand?!?!? GENIUS!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by B.T.K (edited December 29, 2000).]

AmericanHeinz57Sauce

I'm part Italian, German, English, Irish, Scottish, Norwegian, & there may be a hint of Native American Indian blood in me, part...

Get the idea?

Oliver Gregory

By accident - i thought you were supposed to type in your REAL name in that box. Otherwise my name would have been:

I don't mind it as it is.

KLepto-maN

I actually made up this nick about a year ago, after I first got Thief and I've been using it on ICQ ever since. I also created a superhero called 'KLepto-maN', fully equipped with the 'Kleptobile' (stole the Batmobile and did a cheap paintjob), a blue/purple suit with the letter K on it and a real big bag.
    Just check my ICQ info... there's a pic.

A couple of weeks ago I read a fanfic called Kleptomaniac: TNSBP (maybe you've heard of it...) which is what drew me to this forum.

------------------
    To the KLEPTOBILE!!!

Keeper of Metal and Gold

Originally posted by Grundbegriff:
    I'm an art historian, and Heinrich Wölfflin's Kunstgeschichtliche Grundbegriffe (Principles of Art History) is one of the early, influential books in that discipline.

Regardless of its meaning, I thought the earthy, unwieldy, medieval/Saxon feel of 'Grundbegriff' would do in fantasy circles. Sounds like some sort of fierce, rusty weapon from long ago, or perhaps a hybrid lion with its flight-feathers clipped.

Come to think of it, those descriptions also fit the art theory book....

Cheers,

G.
    Ahh, now I know! Cool choice of names. But which part of (Principles of Art History) is Grundbegriff?

------------------

Daxim

Komag: basic principles = Grundbegriffe

DarkViper

I dun care that this is an old post.. I'm still gonna continue with it..

I like Dodge Vipers. Specifically, dark colored ones. Multiple meanings.... I also like Thief: The DARK Project. :-) My email address goes along with this trend: DViper01@juno.com The 01 stands for my HS graduating year (yes, I'm still in high school... but I graduate this June!)

Vipers rock. You haven't lived until you've driven one.

I haven't lived.

But I parked my car up real close to one once and spent like... 15 minutes just circling the thing. I wanted to touch it, but was afraid the alarm would go off ;-). It was the original blue with white stripes, not that new gray-metallic colored one, but of course... all Vipers are nice.

However, I couldn't find the handle to open the door. I heard they were voice activated. Then again, it could be that little button in the window right above it. [It's the little things I still don't know about Vipers that intrigue me... someone enlighten me!!]

There's my story. I'll submit to the shadows now.

---------------
    Thief Survivor Contestant
    [Basically all the signature I could muster up]

Keeper of Metal and Gold

I hear ya man, Vipers rule!

------------------

enchanter

Erm, well, I didn't come up with my own nick actually. I assume most of you have seen Monty Python & Holy Grail. Well, my real name is Tim and some of my strange friends that share my twisted sense of humour started calling me 'Tim the Enchanter' after the character played by John Cleese. It sort of stuck and got reduced to enchanter. I suppose it fits my personality well enough, although I know others use it on the 'net. By the way, not to rock the "My fantasy author is better than yours" boat, but... N. How in the world can you say that Ro. Jordan is a bad writer? He's got to be one of the best fantasy writers since Tolkien, in my opinion. His characters are interesting (as you said) and believable and he is very good at interweaving plots. I've found his style very similar to Tolkien's in many ways, and I would be surprised to find anyone here who would say that Tolkien sucked. (Heresy!) Jordan uses female characters much more than Tolkien did. Yes, they can get annoying at times, especially with all the in-fighting and bickering between them, but hey, I've got to admit (don't shoot me all at once, ladies) that it adds an element of realism to the stories. Just a general observation by the way. (Not meant to be a blanket statement). Sigh. I guess that the upshot is that fantasy tends to be a very personal thing and different authors speak to different people. Jordan can be hard to get into for some, but I don't know of many who have that regret it. I know this is probably a logical fallacy, but I doubt Jordan would be so popular if his stuff was trash...
    Peace
    E.

The_Servant

Well,I liked the Mechanist stuff from T2,so I named myself "The_Servant" after the Servant Drones.

Golden Skull

Anyone ever noticed these skulls lying around in T1 and T2? Sometimes there are as well golden bones
    Note: I did not choose my name after playing "Seeds of doubt", although the Soultaker is a golden skull. I owned the name before knowing this

Ethne

Ethne- a lesser goddess in the Celtic book of the Dead. I thought that there was no-way anyone would have ever heard this one. (But they are everywhere)
    First used it waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy back in the day of the 486 and the very beginnings of AOL.
    (Boy am I old....)

------------------
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Gonchong

Jokingly named after a prolific FM author of the same name.

Also a Parasitic spider from the Fighting Fantasy books. Would jump on the head of it's victim and control it by skewering it's probosis into the unfortunate hosts brain.
    Ugly thing. So we named our band after it 'The Gonchong Extremes'. And it sorta stuck here.

------------------
    Gonchong
    T2X Designer
    www.gonchong.co.uk

Naartjie

Well....since this thread has resurfaced, I might as well add my own story to it.

I deal in silly words. I love learning new, silly sounding words, which is why I took German at GCSE and plan to take it at A-Level and then at University level. Dutch is an extremely fertile ground for silly sounding words, which has also spawned Afrikaans, an even sillier version of Dutch. Now, I used to live in Botswana, which is just north of South Africa, and when I was there I came across on a daily basis the word for 'tangerine'- that being Naartjie. Since it was the best word I knew at the time of registering, I chose it, and had been using Naartjie as my TFC name beforehand.

Anyway, for those who are interested, here is Naartjie's [b]All time top-ten silly sounding German words and phrases:[/i]

Wundstarrkrampf - lockjaw or tetanus
    Heinzelmaenchen- garden gnomes
    Augenschmerzen - sore eyes
    Schockoladebrustwarzeklemmefabriksarbeiter- Chocolate flavoured nipple clamp factory worker
    Knueppelhageldick - cudgel thick as hail
    Wasserspeier- Gargoyle
    Luftkissenboot- Hovercraft
    Knoblauch- Garlic
    Achtung! Die Heinzelmaenchen Sturmabteilungen sind mit Bananenspaerbuche und Stollenbach bewaffen, und machen sie eine Flugzeugentfuehrung auf!- Oh no! The garden gnomes are armed with banana shaped piggy banks and pre-stressed concrete, and are hijacking a plane!
    Ach...die Heinzelmaenchen sind funktionsfaehig, weil sie Wundstarrkrampf haben...Ah...the garden gnomes are malfunctioning because they've got lockjaw...

*Not all this is correct German

Naartjie

------------------
    Haunt Manager
    Resident Ambassador to the Spirit World
    Head Of Everything Under The Ground
    for
    Clan Foofie!

"Remember the benevolent warmth of fuzzy bunnies"

Co-writer of LITOQ!
    ...the only thread where you add to the story and see your efforts up on the The Circle!

Click for Victory!

DarkViper

Jus' wondering, how do you PRONOUNCE Naartjie?

enchanter

Those are some great words and phrases, Naartjie. Particularly the ones about the garden gnomes (LOL). These may not be funny sounding, but the translations are. (From the PS game medal of honor in the "conversational German for the American soldier")
    Verzheiung, (Sp?) aber sie haben ihre grenate vergessen (excuse me, but you forgot your grenade.) and (while being attacked by vicious Dobermans) Der Amerikaner hat hundekuchen in der tasche. (The American has dog biscuits in his pocket.)

Golden Skull

Originally posted by Naartjie:

Naartjie's All time top-ten silly sounding German words and phrases

Ach...die Heinzelmaenchen sind funktionsfaehig, weil sie Wundstarrkrampf haben...Ah...the garden gnomes are malfunctioning because they've got lockjaw...
    Just a little comment:
    "funktionsfaehig" (does the "ä" work here?) means not "malfunctioning". It's exactly the opposite

And I don't see why those words sound silly - maybe you pronounce them the wrong way?

------------------
    A German Hammerite Site - die Hammeriten im Internet:
    Texte, Sprueche, Glaubenssaetze
    escape.to/masterbuilder

[This message has been edited by Golden Skull (edited February 13, 2001).]

Naartjie

Originally posted by DarkViper:Jus' wondering, how do you PRONOUNCE Naartjie?
    Well, the way I pronounce it in English is "Naaht-jee", but I couldn't offer a phoenetics guide for Afrikaans...maybe TheCapedPillager can help you there...

Golden Skull- thank you for the correction. My German teacher is an idiot, I will flame her and use all of those words at her in one go to piss her off

And about the sound of the words...as a Briton they just sound really, really silly when you say them out loud, but no Germans I ever ask can understand why

enchanter- LOL!

Naartjie

------------------
    Haunt Manager
    Resident Ambassador to the Spirit World
    Head Of Everything Under The Ground
    for
    Clan Foofie!

"Remember the benevolent warmth of fuzzy bunnies"

Co-writer of LITOQ!
    ...the only thread where you add to the story and see your efforts up on the The Circle!

FenrisEuler

forgive me if i'm wrong, but i believe the afrikaans pronunciation is:
    naar-khee
    with a rolled 'r'

WolfTronix

Ive been pronouncing it NahAir'T-Jay sounds cooler that way

FenrisEuler

no offense to any afrikaaners but i think most things sound cooler than afrikaans

the commercials in SA are hillarious. nothing like hearing a love poem in klingon.

Sharga

Sharga is the name of a race from a really sweet game called Stonekeep made by Interplay. It's mideval and the Sharga's are one of the biggest forms of comical relief in the game (besides those funny faries and their songs) I consider myself a funney guy and for some reason I really liked the name (plus it's original and easy to remember). They are green, goblin-like creatures. Some are nice, some aren't so nice, all are funney.

Theyz talkz lik'a dis yo' see? Yousa gots a big ting commin' if ya mez wif me!

Sharga quote: "Yousa in me home! Yousa go away nowz!"

(I personally think they coppied jar-jar's voice from the Shargas and made it a little easier to understand and more high pitched.)

------------------
    Co-writer and pic-master of LITOQ! (Life In The Old Quarter)
    Join us! Join us NOOOOOooooowww!! At LITOQ2

LITOQ history.

Upcomming:
    MOC2 a.k.a. Revenge

Join Foofie Now! You too can remember the benevolent warmth of fuzzy bunnies.

Oliver Gregory

Hey Naartjie - I have always thought it was Nart - ja but i suppose it is nart - jie
    now. But i hate the ones which are unprononcable with a load of symbols - erg!

------------------
    Proud Level Designer, working on 'The Red Nightfall: Coloza's Pain' project.

Dietger

Well "Dietger" is just my real name.
    An old German name, used for warriors I guess some thousand years ago.Its extreme rare. I only new 2 Dietgers : my father and me
    Im proud of it.

Regards Dietger

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast