TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast

Thread: GTAIV release thread

So compared to SA?

Us PC users only have that to console (gettit?) ourselves with until GTA4 is inevitably ported...

OK, the friend who told me about the scripting actually gave up on GTA IV due to the aforementioned scripting, lack of interesting stuff to do, wonky physics etc. and started playing Saints Row instead. He's reporting large quantities of fun.

In related news, Saints Row 2 has been announced for PC while Rockstar says GTA IV for PC is "very doubtful".

On the subject of Saints Row 2, this.

Quote Originally Posted by van HellSing View Post
    OK, the friend who told me about the scripting actually gave up on GTA IV due to the aforementioned scripting, lack of interesting stuff to do, wonky physics etc. and started playing Saints Row instead. He's reporting large quantities of fun.

In related news, Saints Row 2 has been announced for PC while Rockstar says GTA IV for PC is "very doubtful".
    Your friend really needs to play beyond one mission. Yes, that particular mission involving the guy and your employer's daughter riding on the motorcylce is scripted. You can't kill him while he's on the motorcycle, because of the female he's riding with. A poor design choice, yes, but that's the only mission so far where I've encountered such a thing. I just played through another motorcycle chase mission where the idiot I was chasing crashed and fell off his bike within minutes. I'm not digging the attitude that you two have blown the game wide open and exposed it for something that it really is over one single mission.
    Last edited by foldy; 3rd May 2008 at 07:45.

Uh, he played it up to the beginning of the third island. I don't have my mind made up about IV anzway, I still want to like it if it does make it's way to the PC somehow. Just reporting.

Uh, he played it up to the beginning of the third island. I don't have my mind made up about IV anzway, I still want to like it if it does make it's way to the PC somehow. Just reporting.
    No. It's too late, pal. You and your friend are DEAD to me.

You know, I've had an Xbox360 for about a year now, and I've still not tried Saints Row. I think that'll change before the summer's through.

RE: skate fifteen million pages ago...

One of the top 360 games ever made, and, in my little opinion, probably in my top 20 list of all time best games. Probably the best controls in a game. Definitely one of the few console games i play, then come back and play, then come back and play, etc. etc. (played last night in fact).

Just my two cents.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    Dear lord that looked forced. "How do you market SR2 in the same week as GTA4 is released?" You don't. You wait half a year until everyone is craving for a new GTA and are ready to settle for a decent knock-off.

Another slightly off-topic sidebar:

How the FUCK do i get 360 not to show all the games i've played? i have some younger relatives who play the 360, and some of their parents would shit a brick if they knew i played, for example, GTA IV (i'm a de facto role model for some reason). i hate that the 360 is all, "HEY THIS GUY PLAYS THESE GAMES".

Any way to turn that shit off or make it unknown that i play particular games?

I don't think so -- and what's even worse is any arcade titles you've downloaded remain in the list, even if you didn't buy them (and obviously didn't win any achievements). I downloaded practically everything to try, and my games list is pages long.

Rockstar says GTA IV for PC is "very doubtful".
    That rumor's already been pretty much debunked (read the comments). KG noted that no one named "Nick Hersh" works at Rockstar, whom that quote is attributed to. Also, when Rockstar was asked about it again by multiple sources, they said "no comment" rather than a flat-out "no".

Quote Originally Posted by thefonz View Post
    So compared to SA?

Us PC users only have that to console (gettit?) ourselves with until GTA4 is inevitably ported...
    I'd say it's a step backwards compared to SA which was clearly a bigger achievement in video games history. In GTA 4 a few new features were added (tv, internet, cell phone, darts and bowling...) and tons were removed, so overall the game isn't as deep as SA. Although I have to admit it's far more polished, the mini games are really well done, the shooting feels as good as in any shooter, and the driving is almost too realistic for a GTA. So basically they chose quality over quantity, and another reason for removing some features is because the game has taken a more realistic approach, so parachuting, flying planes or using a jetpack dont fit in the background of the game anymore. But I have no idea why they would remove the tatoo parlors and barbers, maybe because changing the appearance of niko would change his personality and would make him different to the vision they have of him, or maybe they were just lazy. Also you cant blow up cars by shooting at the gaz tank anymore, you can't swim underwater anymore, the car tuning has disappeared for some reason, and so on. Some of those features were unnecessary anyway.

There are a few things I don't like about the game though.

First the graphics are a little disappointing, the shadows are really ugly, so ugly the game would actually be better off without them, and there's also a lot of aliasing. It's too bad because artistically the game is beautiful, the city is amazing, the vehicles are perfectly modelled, the weather effects are gorgeous and the physics thanks to euphoria are just amazing.

And also the controls could be better. There's something really annoying, the character walks by default, so you have to hold the run button all the time, and that's just completely retarded, it should be the other way round. Aiming can be a real pain in the ass too. You can either lock on your target by fully pressing the left trigger which works ok or you can free aim by half pressing the trigger which is a bit difficult. The cover system isnt perfect but it usually works ok during missions. Also climbing over walls can be annoying sometimes if you're not facing the wall niko will just do his normal jump instead of trying to grab the ledge.

Now compared to saint's row, I'd say it's better cause it has a good story and dialogues, the car physics are better, the shooting is better, but I thought the controls were easier in saint's row. The animations are better thanks to euphoria. You can really tell the difference when you run over people, in saint's row the bodies were just animated with ragdoll which was already much better than the crappy animations you had in the previous GTA games but now you can actually see them react realistically. The graphics, strangely enough, were superior in saint's row though, the shadows were much more beautiful and there was no aliasing, although the framerate seems better in gta, and there doesnt seem to be any screen tearing going on which was very frequent in saint's row. Saint's row felt a bit more polished.

Overall I'm a bit disappointed by GTA 4, it feels like SA light, it feels like they deliberately refused to include some features so they could add them in a potential sequel. Still a great game, but I know rockstar can do ten times better.

Still a great game, but I know rockstar can do ten times better.
    This game cost 100 million dollars to produce. Something tells me they were pushing a bit heavily on both their budget and schedule constraints.

And yes... be prepared for the inevitable spinoffs yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    One thing that GTAIV has that I see as a negative is this cab system. I don't want to get to places quick.
    I don't think it's ever forced on you. The cab might actually take longer than just driving yourself anyway. You sit in the back and the cabbie drives instead of you. I took one when I was drunk and the guy crashed more than I would have.

Am I the only one here playing this on PS3?

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by Epos Nix View Post
    This game cost 100 million dollars to produce. Something tells me they were pushing a bit heavily on both their budget and schedule constraints.
    They need to go back to making better games like Warriors and the original Manhunt. (Fuck Manhunt 2.)

How exactly was Manhunt a better game?

Mind you, I played half-way through it, forcing myself the entire way through sheer boredom, and stopped when I finally couldn't take it anymore. So this is an honest question.

I can see why some may prefer San Andreas over its sequel, because it definitely offered some things that GTAIV doesn't. San Andreas was dismissed by some casual gamers for its mild role-playing elements. I can see why Rockstar might have chosen to get rid of those.

SA is my favorite GTA game, but I'm so in love with GTAIV right now, so long as they don't jump the shark and give me an unsatisfying conclusion to the campaign, I'm probably going to end up favoring it. I'm loving the characters (except Manny Escuela), the on foot action, the car chases requiring more patience and being ultimately more satisfying, the more lively, dynamic crowds and traffic that bring about something new every other play session...

Yeah, San Andreas really did have the best sandbox to play around in, but I feel like there's just more going on in this bigger, better version of Liberty City.

Nothing beats a cross-county police chase in SA, though. Nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    Rofl. That Uncle Gary guy cracked me up

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by Epos Nix View Post
    How exactly was Manhunt a better game?

Mind you, I played half-way through it, forcing myself the entire way through sheer boredom, and stopped when I finally couldn't take it anymore. So this is an honest question.
    Clearly you don't like stealth games.

Manhunt was ace in the atmosphere department, but the gameplay did get quite repetitive.

Clearly you don't like stealth games.
    Wow. Quite the deduction there!

But let's assume that I do like stealth games but I prefer a bit more depth to my gameplay and I didn't feel Manhunt had that depth... That considered, how is Manhunt still a better game than GTA? I'm just curious about your opinion.

Taking the Death Toll
    It's a better game than GTA because it doesn't try to do everything at once. It is what it is- a stealth game with a big focus on atmosphere. It does something different from games like Splinter Cell and Metal Gear. Now, I enjoy Metal Gear (and fucking loathe Splinter Cell) but they're both military themed. I think on a purely artistic level it's a much more mature game than GTA ever was. While GTA was a cartoon, a caricature, Manhunt shows just how monstrous people can be. Manhunt's gameplay admittedly gets repetitive. (But really, what game DOESN'T get repetitive? Ever think of that? Do you play jRPGs and complain that the game does the same thing over and over again WHAT IS WITH ALL THESE RANDOM BATTLES) But on the other hand it also does something else different from other stealth games- in those the primary goal was evasion. In Manhunt you're the predator, hiding in the shadows to kill those who would hunt you down.

If you don't like that, that's okay.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    I think on a purely artistic level it's a much more mature game than GTA ever was. While GTA was a cartoon, a caricature, Manhunt shows just how monstrous people can be.
    What do you mean by "purely artistic level"? Manhunt was shallow as hell, bro. Right from the start you can tell who's the good guy is and who's the bad guy. There's zero character-development. The storytelling is choppy and disjointed. In one level it is revealed that the protagonist has a wife and kids, and the bad guys have kidnapped them. 5 minutes ago you didn't know they existed and now you're supposed to risk your life to save them like you really cared or something? So, anyway, you save them, and after that they're never mentioned again. Not that there's anything wrong with that though, it's made in a very deliberate grindhouse style.

But it also means that the story doesn't need to be good. It has a free pass to be shallow as hell, and it is. By the time the end credits roll, no bigger life-lessons have been learned, it's just been a fun ride. The GTA games, on the other hand, are deceptively smart. There's always subtle comments on current politics and pop-culture throughout em. In GTA(VC and forward, at least) you care about the protagonists. Who gives a shit what happens to James Earl Cash?

I liked Manhunt. So much that I played through it twice. But to say that it is more mature just because it is more violent is crazy.

Taking the Death Toll
    You actually claiming Cash to be a "good guy" pretty much negates your entire post. gg nextmap

Level 10,000 achieved
    Nice way of weazling yourself out of having to make a rebutal there. Cash is a good guy in the same sense that Tommy Vercetti, Garrett and a dozen other videogame characters are. An immoral man, but still better than the people he's fighting.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast