TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: GTAIV release thread

GTAIV release thread

Seeing as it's almost upon us, I was wondering who's preordered or planning on getting this, and on what platform. The fact that this game carries multiplayer and has been generating such hype on the singleplayer side for the past couple of months has almost got me buying a 360, I can hardly believe it.

I haven't been keeping up with the press releases for quite some time, but I'll be picking up the standard 360 version. Aside from Vice City this will be the only GTA title I've played, and the first I've pre-ordered. I'm hoping for a lengthy diversion to hold me over until Age of Conan arrives.

If the soundtrack doesn't contain some Fanfare Ciocarlia I'm going to shoot someone.

Leaning toward this one on PS3. It looks fantastic.

I'm getting it whenever it comes out on PC. Hopefully it won't be too much afterwards (and surely it's coming out on PC.)

The thing is I lived in one apartment across from Washington Sq Park, one across from the Crysler building and UN, and a few others scattered about ... I'm betting they have to have at least one of those (you can already see the Crysler building in the skyline). So one of my apartment buildings is getting in one way or another, generic as it may be. Hopefully more than one. There's just something sort of cool about driving by my own apartment in a major game, generic or not.

I've re-bought a 360 for this game, I can't wait. Multiplayer sounds incredible, the races sound like they'll let me relive my Carmageddon childhood.

It sucks that Australia got a cut version though It's likely to only be one or two minor things (In GTA3 you couldn't pick up prostitutes) but the whole thing is undemocratic. Depending on what it is I'll import a copy post-release and resell my AU version.

BANNED
    I'm definitely getting this for PC too. Don't do it Scots! Wait! It looks like a great engine for modding. If I had a PS3 I might be tempted to get it for that though. Vice City is the only GTA I've played and I really liked it. San Andreas looks good but both IV and VCs settings are my cup of tea and the trailers and factions revealed in them for IV just look great.

In fact this game looks frikking epic. MP, all these features... I don't think I've been so hyped about a game for a long, long time.

I've steered clear of as much of the media as possible. I've three or four screenshots and a trailer, but I've kept myself relatively in the dark about it all. I've not pre-ordered it, but come the 29th I shall be picking it up for the 360.

While the hype is out there if you're susceptible, Dave, I've more or less steered clear of all media but I have caught a few recent press releases that sound very cool - ingame comedy clubs (starring Ricky Gervais, for example) (not a spoiler, but just in case people want surprises), the usual assortment of radio stations, and some of MP stuff/downloadable content post-release all sounds very good. I really can't weigh up the pros and cons of buying a 360 right now though, because I'm so unlikely to sit and play a game at the moment anyway!

My mate bought an Xbox especially for this at the weekend. I am very much tempted to do the same.

IMO, the GTA games have been getting better and better (as far as the GTA III trilogy is concerned, at least), so IV should be frikking epic, as SE so succinctly put. Can't wait.

10 note
    I was disappointed to hear that it wouldn't come close to the size of San Andreas since I really like the massive, cross-country races/police chases but I have little doubt that it'll be the best GTA yet (and I've played them all, aside London). I'll probably get it when it comes out on PC since I can't afford any of these new-fangled games boxes.

According to an article in EGM on this, you can use your player character's cell phone to call any other major NPCs you've met and build relationships, take pictures, call the cops if a rival gang is attacking you, call an ambulance for healing, call the fire department, call them all just so you can steal their emergency vehicles, listen to the radio, call a number to make the game contact a music service to let you buy a physical Mp3 outside the game of the song you're listening to if you like it, be a major way of getting missions and plot...

It's incredible how much detail they're sticking into one little accessory. Other things that have got me excited are the details about being able to freeroam and climb and mantle around the city, and environmental destruction. :O

Grabbing the PS3 version... and looking forward to it

I've seen but 2 trailers, but I'll be getting it on 360 as soon as I can get my hands on it because I certainly can't wait for the PC version.

Is it true there are no flyable airplanes? That and the smaller size (plus I HATED Liberty City in GTA3)make me shake my head.

El Shagmeister

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    I'm getting it whenever it comes out on PC. Hopefully it won't be too much afterwards (and surely it's coming out on PC.)
    More or less my thought on the matter, although I'll have to admit it's the first GTA that pokes me gently on the console side (360 version, btw). So, I might have to resist temptation or go nutter and buy it

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsetlemming View Post
    you can use your player character's cell phone to call any other major NPCs you've met and build relationships, take pictures, call the cops if a rival gang is attacking you, call an ambulance for healing, call the fire department, call them all just so you can steal their emergency vehicles, listen to the radio, call a number to make the game contact a music service to let you buy a physical Mp3 outside the game of the song you're listening to if you like it, be a major way of getting missions and plot...
    Did you also catch that your mobile phone ringing will wig out your radio with the signal coming in - just like most real mobiles do?

Quote Originally Posted by gunsmoke View Post
    Is it true there are no flyable airplanes? That and the smaller size (plus I HATED Liberty City in GTA3)make me shake my head.
    Maybe they're going for a quality over quantity view.

I'm excited, getting a 360 just for this game.

But clear sky, oh man. I'll kill for some more stalker action.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsmoke View Post
    They've got helicopters. Also, I don't remember San Andreas being all that expansive, especially once you start getting access to flying transportation, so it's entirely possible that the GTA4 Liberty city is just as big or bigger with the detail and scope they're putting into it. It's essentially a scale model recreation of New York.
    I also hated the GTA3 Liberty City, especially the second and third islands because of how twisty and confusing the roads were and how many damn overpasses and tunnels and shit there were, compounded by the lack of an ingame map, so I'm glad to hear they're pretty much dumping the GTA3 fake New York/Chicago/etc amalgamation Liberty for a pure New York map.

Originally Posted by Jetsetlemming
    According to an article in EGM on this, you can use your player character's cell phone to call any other major NPCs you've met and build relationships, take pictures, call the cops if a rival gang is attacking you, call an ambulance for healing, call the fire department, call them all just so you can steal their emergency vehicles, listen to the radio, call a number to make the game contact a music service to let you buy a physical Mp3 outside the game of the song you're listening to if you like it, be a major way of getting missions and plot...
    Read more on Variety.com, it's for USA only. In partnership with Amazon.com.

A interview with Dan Houser on Variety.com. A decent interview with a few game shots. Nothing about a PC version.
    Last edited by Ladron De La Noche; 22nd Apr 2008 at 02:34.

One more of the "Im-getting-this-on-360" peeps reporting.

Cant wait to driver over Dave or Ulu

That's Fightin' Talk, Finnlander

I've already threatened to knife him in the face whilst standing on a girder suspended from a crane.

(I've seen that screenshot )

Aww, I really hope they release it on PC asap. The wait is killing me.

To stave off buying GTAIV, I got San Andreas for the PC. I will rightfully chew my prior words on the matter, I'm having a whale of a time... could this be a bizarre case of port >>> original?

I've heard many people say that GTA:SA has better graphics, framerate and control on the PC than on the PS2. And afaik, that is true. So yeah, a rare case but almost anyone would agree (except Sony fanboys ) that the PC port of SA is superior.

Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast