TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice: I ruined Thief for me

Need advice: I ruined Thief for me

I September 2007 I decided catch up with that had been released for Thief as far as fan missions are concerned, the ultimate goal being to have played through every mission at least once on normal difficulty. I made steady progress for six months until I had played 67 missions in February 2008. That is 11 missions per month.

In March 2008, when I completed one last fan mission, I realized I wasn't comitted to my goal anymore. Playing all these mission had exhausted me. I had kept notes of my progress and seeing that these 68 mission averaged at 3,97 on a 1-to-10 rating system, I presumably hadn't enjoyed it much. Rather, it was a painful grind that drained all the enjoyment out of the game that I once had.

My problem: My initial goal to complete every fan mission at least once still stands. On the other hand, I couldn't get myself back to playing any missions for three months now and I fear I ruined Thief for me.

My questions: Has this ever happened to anyone in the community? What can I do to rekindle my love for Thief fan missions?

In this context it might be worth mentioning which fan missions I did enjoy most:
    1. Guardhouse 2 (8/10, Jussi Lehtinen, 03/27/2000)
    2. Shunned (8/10, James D. Roberts, 11/09/1999)
    3. Lord Edmund Entertains! (7/10, Jussi Lehtinen, 07/18/1999)
    4. Bloodstone Prison (7/10, Garett Choy, 11/23/1999)
    5. Circle of Strain 2 (7/10, Markus Lappalainen, 08/10/1999
    6. Shadow Business (6/10, Etienne Aubert, 06/10/1999
    7. The Vigil (6/10, Jussi Lehtinen, 02/24/2000)
    8. Circle of Strain 3 (6/10, Markus Lappalainen, 01/27/2000)
    9. Torben - Der Verräter (6/10, Tony Klüver, 06/17/1999)
    10. Autumn in Lampfire Hills (6/10, Anthony Huso, 10/06/1999)
    11. The Gem (6/10, Wes Morrison, 10/03/1999)
    12. Gathering At The Bar (6/10, Toni Hallming, 06/10/1999)
    13. Lady Whitman's Disease (6/10, Roberto García, 03/24/2000)

There is no stronger drug than abstinence...

The last time this happened to me, I stayed away from Thief and played other games or did other things instead. Then, after a few months, I returned to Thief again and all was well.

So, my advice is taking some time off from anything Thief and do other things.

Quote Originally Posted by qolelis View Post
    The last time this happened to me, I stayed away from Thief and played other games or did other things instead. Then, after a few months, I returned to Thief again and all was well.

So, my advice is taking some time off from anything Thief and do other things.
    Exactly!That's what I do,too.Sometimes I get enough from Thief and need to take a little brake.When I return after a few months I can fully-enjoy the FM-s again.

I do the same thing. If I can't seem to get into the game I just take a break or play something else. I always seem to find my way back to playing Thief again.

Once I had that goal, too. But what gives it to you having played all the FM' s . I gave up serveral of them when they didn' t attract me.
    A break is not bad. Or try some newer ones. In your list the newest mission is 8 years old. There have come out such wonderful missions in the last years.
    Once a thief- ever a thief.

You aren't alone, as the others have said. I've gone through the same thing as well. Take a break, don't worry about it.

Sounds like aversion therapy.

When you play Thief again, why not stop playing a mission if it doesn't suit you tastes? When you play, perhaps you could read some reviews, and chose missions that are exceptionally well-crafted?

Hi, I solved this problem few years ago. I was about 3 years late with FM playing. I simply played only the best FMs (top rating) and I moved to lower rating FMs step by step. This way you'll not ruin your experience with some "worse" FMs. And play only if you want to.

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    I agree with the above, about leaving thief for a while.

Otherwise, sometimes when I'm tired by fms or dromed, I just decide to replay the original game, but maybe in different ways. For example, to try to ghost all the missions. Last time I replayed the OMs, I installed the ultimate difficulty pack, and it was almost like if I was discovering a new game, back to the first times I was playing.

Yeah I was playing a NWN multiplayer server a lot (City of Arabel, I'm Jenner Fenwick). Then I got sucked into FMs and ignored NWN. Now I'm sucked back into NWN. Same with the servers. Sometimes I get burned out on the one I'm on so I got play somewhere else for a bit.

Well until I get my pc upgraded and can play some things I've missed, I'm also feeling a little jaded. Some mad American woman who's living in England suggested I play Deus Ex. Might be going a bit too far though. Somehow never managed to get my head around anything other than Resident Evil and Thief.

Course you could try what I did last time I felt like this - unless you have already. Have a go at the Dromed Tutorial. It's only real life rubbish that's stopped me becoming a total addict.

I too know that mad American woman..........

His problem is simple. Not playing my FMs! Once you go Sly, you never go back.

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    Some mad American woman who's living in England suggested I play Deus Ex.
    Oh yes, your conspiracy awaits.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenArts View Post
    I too know that mad American woman
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

Yes, , I would also recommend you stop playing FM's.......and spend the time making one. Remember the contest you signed up for? If you have free time, spend the time making a great FM according to your tastes.
    If you ask people at the Editors' Guild, many will tell you, you can make them, or you can play them, but you can't do both. Playing an occasional FM is for when you get burned out building one and need a bit of a break.
    The best thing for your FM blues right now is to get off the FM playing and get to work building.

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaEM View Post
    When you play Thief again, why not stop playing a mission if it doesn't suit you tastes?
    I do this. Also, many missions are great up until the point where you're only 2000 loot short of finishing, at which point I use Ctrl+Alt+Shift+End. It's especially useful in campaigns.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Creepr View Post
    Oh alright then, just for a bit of peace and quiet - I'll take a look.

Thanks for the comments everyone! I gathered all your suggestions and put tallies (number of times mentioned) next to each one.

Take some time off from the game and do other things (5)
    I'm doing that right now. Maybe my interest in the game will develop again, maybe it won't.

Give up trying to play all FMs and only play the highest rated first instead (2)
    I already played some highly rated missions. The reason why I want to complete them in the order of original release is I want to see how mission design evolved along with the authors' shared knowledge about the inner workings of their 'buggy little friend' (DromEd).

Keep playing but stop playing a FM if it doesn't suit your tastes (2)
    I'm one of those persons who absolutely have to complete a given task at hand. Even if I have a horrible time doing it. It's just who I am.

Start DromEding. (2)
    As uncadonego pointed out, I signed up for a contest shortly after I had stopped playing. I had complete the LGS tutorial before and in the meantime I finished Komag's excellent tutorial. I also started building a small mission for the contest but I haven't made substantial progress so far. Figure I won't make the deadline. At this time, I don't have 5-10 hours a weekend to DromEd.

Replay the OMs, maybe in different ways. (1)
    I already did that. Of course, not every playstyle in every mission, but I replayed most of the missions.

Play only SlyFoxx's FMs. (1)
    Now that you mention it, I never played a single one of your missions.

Conclusion: I will stay away from Thief for the time being and also try to find the time to DromEd. Thanks for your support. I really hope I will be able to enjoy the fan missions sometime again.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    The reason why I want to complete them in the order of original release is I want to see how mission design evolved along with the authors' shared knowledge about the inner workings of their 'buggy little friend' (DromEd).
    Is this your only reason for wanting to play every mission? And if so, are you learning anything from it? If you're not enjoying it any more, I suspect you're not learning all that much from it. Maybe you would learn more by picking a particular prolific designer (preferably someone who makes highly-rated missions now), and playing all of their missions in order...
    So I'm putting in another vote for option 2, but slightly amended. You're obviously not quite masochistic enough to play every single fan mission (and I can't blame you), so you should pick and choose instead.

I have another suggestion if you still want to play but are bored: offer your services as a beta tester - it's completely different from just playing an fm. It's very serious (!) and very important. But you need to do everything that you wouldn't do in your normal playing style. You have to notice everything, try and get where you wouldn't normally try to get, just be more observant than you've ever been in any fm you've ever played.

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel
    are you learning anything from it?
    Learning really wasn't that much of a motivation. Had it been so, I would have taken a lot more notes on missions and I would have kept track of all my observations. It was more about seeing what had been there. I didn't want to limited myself to highly rated missions only since some of the lesser regarded are worth checking out too. Even when I starteds to feel that I didn't really enjoy most of the released material (an 3,97 arithemtic mean is a horrible record after all), I was always hoping the next one would be at least enjoyable. But the brutal schedule I had assigned myself killed off my enjoyment of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by nickie
    offer your services as a beta tester
    ... That's a brilliant idea! Might even teach me something about mission design.

username,

Well, clearly, you turned playing Thief into a chore with a schedule, checklist, and ultimately nothing more than a task to be completed. Why do that? I play Thief because it's fun--a spare-time activity. Chores are seldom fun and their repetition leads to boredom.

With the exception of a few newer TDP/TG releases, I have played every Thief FM and wrote, sometimes extensive, reviews for each one immediately after playing them. I did this for myself, but I'm actually considering putting up a website where they can be read by people looking for input on which FMs were good and which were not so good. Unfortunately, most Thief 1 FMs do suck. There are only 26 or so that I would recommend to anyone. My list of the 26 best Thief FMs:

A Meeting with Cutty
    Autumn in Lampfire Hills
    Bloodstone Prison
    Burglary at Blackbrook
    Calendra's Cistern
    Death of Garrett
    Geller's Pride
    Hammerhead
    Hush, Hush Sweet Harlot
    Lady Whitman's Disease
    Lord Binclair
    Lord Edmund Entertains
    Returning a Favor
    Saint of Redmound
    Seeds of Doubt
    Skull of Herzeloyde
    Tears of Blood
    The Awakening
    The Burgomaster
    The Fiend
    The Library
    The Mystery Man
    The Order of the Vine
    The Restored Cathedral
    Trial by Night
    Turning the Tables

As others have suggested, playing other games for awhile couldn't hurt. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Quote Originally Posted by glwhalen View Post
    Well, clearly, you turned playing Thief into a chore with a schedule, checklist, and ultimately nothing more than a task to be completed. Why do that?
    See my post about having to complete a given task. I started playing some high rated missions, then I tried some of the earlier ones, liked most of them at least a bit and decided I had to play them all in the order of their release. You're right, it turned into a chore and I realize now I should avoid that with spare-time activities.

Quote Originally Posted by Frikkinjerk
    Unfortunately, most Thief 1 FMs do suck.
    I avoided that statement since I know even the basest of missions require a lot of dedication and time to create. On the other hand, I agree. The majority of those 68 missions I grinded through didn't appeal to my tastes. But there are good ideas to be found in most of them. See my second post in this thread for missions I would recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by Frikkinjerk
    I have played every Thief FM and wrote, sometimes extensive, reviews for each one immediately after playing them. I did this for myself, but I'm actually considering putting up a website where they can be read by people looking for input on which FMs were good and which were not so good.
    Southquarter is a great website to publish reviews.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast