TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: --Tutorial-- How to make healing food in thief tdp/gold

--Tutorial-- How to make healing food in thief tdp/gold

Skip this section if you want, it is just justification for the thread and what not.

I did do a search on this, but all I found were these threads:
    Clicky
    Clicky

It appears however, based on these threads, it is not quite the same thing I am doing here. I always thought that thief tdp/ gold should hve the same healing food that thief 2 does, and so I just looked up the food from thief 2. This is pretty simple. The one thing I don't understand is why Yandros said in that first thread that it is better to give it a whole number for the intensity, when, in fact, the food has a sources property with an intensity of 0.25 and it works just fine. Or maybe it is just the way the healing potion works.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, on to my tutorial.
    • First, load up your mission and head over to the Object Hierarchy under Tools.
    • Next, find Physical>Household>Food. Hit Edit on Food (-521). In its properties, click Add button. Choose Act/React>Sources. Click Add, Change Stimulus to RestoreStim, and then change Object to Food (-521). For Propagator choose Script. Next, type 0.25 under intensity. This is the same value as the thief 2 foods, I'm sure you could increase this to make it give you more health.
    • Click on Edit Life Cycle, and under flags uncheck the No Max Firings, and instead check Destroy Object on Completion. Period should be set to 1, Max Firings to 1, and keep Intensity Slope at 0.00.
    • Now, click ok until you get back to the properties window. Find Scripts in the properties of Food. Double click on it, and then put in Script 1 CloneContactFrob. Leave everything else alone, hit ok then hit Done.

Alright, you're finished. Go test it out. I'm not sure if CloneContactFrob is really needed or not, but to be safe I just copied everything as it was. The only problem I seem to have after doing this, is the healing you actually get from eating foods. For some reason, it may take a while to actually up it to +1 shield. If anyone can make this work better, please respond. I hope this was useful.
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 22nd May 2008 at 18:44.
    My Thief FM Website
    "Those pies had enough grease to drop a Burrick!"

I think that is why Yandros said to use whole numbers. It's going to take four food items at 0.25 intensity to increment 1 point. With a whole number you see the health bar increment and there is no disappointment when you think that the food you just ate didn't do anything at all. This is the way I see it so correct me if I'm wrong.

You're right john. I think you hit the nail right on the head. But, I think ultimately it comes down to whether the player would want food to give you more health, or less.

I know it isn't much, but.... Any chance of getting some linkage of this thread and my site's tutorials page into a sticky, like, say, the dromed FAQ thread? Ya know, incase any dromeders care to look at what I have. Not that it is anything really special, but I feel that I should be included, no?

You mean author, not player? I'm guessing you meant to say that the author can decide how much healing the food will give.

Yes (and no), but I meant, assuming the author cares what people think, it would be up to the player to vote on what is the best value here. I guess it would be decided through a thread: "What value would you like to see for the amount of health for eating food in thief 1?" That way, your not forcing the players to have one value that you chose yourself. Of course, you can't please everyone I guess so maybe this really doesn't matter.

If it was my mission I would leave the food the way that it is. I would put enough food to cause the health bar to increase, but not so much as to equal a health potion. It's too bad Garrett doesn't have a "full stomach" stat to keep him from overeating.

Another triumph of gameplay of realism.

It is a shame that you can pick up all that food, eat it and still get no benefit in TDP/Gold. Nice touch.