TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Replaying Gothic 2 Gold

Replaying Gothic 2 Gold

So I'm playing Gothic 2 again after a year. I first played this when I bought the core game years ago. I played that version 2 times. Then I picked up the gold version and played till I finished the expansion areas. Now I'm playing through it from start to finish.

And it amazes me.

The first time I installed the thing its controls frustrated me to the point where I was ready to delete it. I stuck it out and beat the entire game with forward slash and block - 2 moves. On the 2nd playthrough I discovered the left-right combination. Few days ago I started doing a backward dodge move to fight creatures and a circle-strafe dodge to fight the Orcs. These discoveries have modularize the way I play the game. Whereas I used to play it almost like a hack & slash title (stood there, took it as I dealt it), I now have a unique tactic for every type of enemy in the game. The controls, as convoluted as they are at first glance, are in fact very good at diversifying the gameplay.

It's simply criminal for the controls to be so under-documented as they are - twice in 2 games.

is Best Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by Jashin View Post
    The first time I installed the thing its controls frustrated me to the point where I was ready to delete it. I stuck it out ... The controls, as convoluted as they are at first glance, are in fact very good at diversifying the gameplay.
    This is very good for me to know; I played it for a total of four minutes before quitting in disgust at the control scheme, but it's nice to know it might grow on me.

BR796164
    I adored Gothic 1, because of that enclosed, self-sufficient enclave with it's own rules, and it was accurately big for my taste.
    I even adapted to the controls and 3rd person view which I wasn't fond of - the atmosphere of that place owned me.

Then I tried G2... and it felt like a common open-ended epic RPG, so I quit...

That's exactly it. The control scheme is absolutely well-designed, and yet it's so different from hack & slash and so under-documented nobody knows about it!

It blows my mind that it's taken me years to get the full benefit of it.

BR796164
    Er, to be precise I am not really fond of the control scheme (holding USE and clicking attack buttons to fight is a pain), but like I said, the environment had such magical influence on me that it overshined all discomfort I had with the controls, I was just rolling on with exploration.

You hold left mouse button (use) and click on the directions (W-A-D) to attack (S to block), that way there's a whole host of different attacks. 3rd-person is for world-awareness and "group combat."

You're probably like me, you don't know the full extent of the controls. Now that I do, it's become a deeper game because you can take on enemies MUCH stronger than yourself.
    Last edited by Jashin; 13th Jun 2008 at 12:38.

Both Gothic 1 and Gothic 2 (and NotR expansion) are great games. Too bad that most people didn't play it for more than 15 minutes and then quit because they didn't learn the controls.

Some fans made a whole movie of Gothic 1 using the games engine, it's pretty funny, you can get English version here: Gothic - The Movie

BR796164
    Quote Originally Posted by Jashin View Post
    You hold left mouse button (use) and click on the directions (W-A-D) to attack (S to block)
    Yes, that.

Let's resurrect some old thread about Gothic

Almost one week ago the big modification (total conversion) "The Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos" was released.

I already spent 10 hours there and all that time I was "clearing territory" around starting location. So far it feels like original Gothic 2 + NotR, without all that grindy things (like in Returning 2.0 modification).
    I recommend to play this mod for all who likes Gothic series.

It's available FREE on Steam and GOG. As alternative it could be installed from ModDB.

Audio: Polish
    Subtitles: English

Interesting. I just thought about replaying Gothic 2 the other day too. Right now the game only costs €2.49 at GOG, so this might be a good time to do so. Thanks for the thread necro!

It's always a good time to replay Gothic 2!

Old thread! I've forgotten all about it. But I have been playing Archolos since release.

The Chronicles of Myrtana: Archolos is to Gothic 2 what Thief 2X was to Thief 2...and then some. They made a game in the veins of Gothic2+Exp - all new open world, new multi-district town packed with details, new story and quest to populate it all, full polish VO with subs, etc. etc. And on top of it all, the game feels like a Gothic game. You're a solitary adventurer navigating the open wilderness or human politics. You're not a world-saving hero, you're just some dude (in this case, a refugee).

One review on steam said this mod is better than the latest PB games. It's absolutely the truth. This is what Gothic fans want from PB but haven't gotten since Gothic 2.

Completed The Chronicles of Myrtana: Archolos. 120+ hours woot. What an epic journey.

This fan-made "mod" is now the high-point of the Gothic series. It builds on top of G2's standout features and expands on them, while losing none of the core elements (including the humor) that made the series special and unique in the first place. The current Piranha-Bytes has lost its ability to craft such a fine blade, but the fans managed it. It delivered on all the things a Gothic fan would want, and then some. If Thief fans could pay money for an equivalent, think about it - an all new adventure that is story-adjacent but has everything you love + new features consistent in narrative and gameplay to T1 & T2.

It's the perfect sequel. And it's free.

I got way into this over the holidays and fully agree; everyone who ever liked a PB game should give this a try. I've been taking a break from it for a couple weeks though, because I have this terrible habit in games like this where I try to get as strong as possible before progressing the story, so I've spent 50 hours hoovering every single apple/raspberry/dark mushroom/stat herb/iron ore (for javelin sales) out of the world before moving on to chapter 3, because things respawn at the beginning of ch. 3 and 5. While I do enjoy playing that way, it tends to break momentum enough that I lose interest as soon as I'm "ready". But I'll definitely finish this eventually. I genuinely think it's more fun than any Gothic, Risen or Elex, although that might be colored by very low expectations and the fact that it's been over a decade since I last played a Gothic game.

(I then moved on to Yakuza 0 and did the exact same thing: as soon as the real estate thing opened up I took over 100% of Kamurocho and made tens of billions of yen and filled in my skill trees, then stopped playing when it was time to get back to the plot).

Quote Originally Posted by reizak View Post
    I have this terrible habit in games like this where I try to get as strong as possible before progressing the story
    Ah, I have this same curse. That's why I try to avoid these mega-long games nowadays.

Speaking of Yakuza 0... wait until you get to do the Cabaret Club thing. There's another time sink for you. At least I managed to avoid the Pocket Circuit and other minigames. Karaoke is pretty fun though!