TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baldur's Gate Trilogy

Baldur's Gate Trilogy

Obviously I can't get my pretentious RPG badge until I complete the Baldur's Gate series. To this end, I bought the DVD boxset (which is odd enough in itself. Unpatched it doesn't work in the UK, and the discs are mislabeled). I tried to play BG1 a few times, but various annoyances kept stopping me. I recently discovered Baldur's Gate Trilogy, a mod which allows you to import the BG1 data into the BG2 game and merge the campaigns (which is pretty much what I wanted).

After looking around some BG modsites finding this thing, however, I noticed a LOT of "fixpacks" and "tweak" mods as well as new content and half-official updates (as well as an astounding number of "romance mods", lol pron?)

So to all 7 of the Baldur's Gate experts on TTLG, what mods should I use for a first runthough - keeping the core of the game intact but fixing problems and restoring what was meant to be there (like SS2 with SHTUP but not ReBirth or Straylight), if any? Is Trilogy the way to go, or should I try to get Tutu and just imagine the game transition? I am not a stranger to this engine having played Torment about 10 times, but the complexity of this thing is quite immense.

The Architect
    Trilogy? They made BG3 and no-one told me?

Or is the BG2 expansion now considered part three?

As far as I can gather, the only new content in "Trilogy" is a transition scenario between the end of BG1 (whatever that may be) and the start of BG2. I don't think this is an accurate name for the mod, but it certainly gets attention in mod download lists
    and thread titles

Here's a info source for Trilogy, but I'd recommend easyTUTU instead...

I've played through both of those and the Big Picture mod and find TUTU is compatible with a lot more of the better mods out there and seems a lot more stable.

There is a faq and whatnot to explain install order, and it has an easy-install that is mod-ready.

TUTU Link

Afterwards, you might want to replay BG2 TOB with the Ascension mod (among others) if you haven't allready...
    Last edited by heretic; 4th Jul 2008 at 20:19.

Taking a break
    People usually use EasyTUTU instead because of the hundreds of mods it offers.

It's not like Trilogy is all that superior to be honest - pretty much all it does is that after you kill the you-know-who in BG and see the last movie, BG2 starts immediately. In eTuTu you need to copy your character and run BG2 yourself and import it.

As for mods follow this thread with Google and look up the descriptions. For maximum BG feel you'll need the Degreenifier, Restored BG Casting Sounds, One Pixel Productions, SimDing0's D0Tweaks, BG2 Tweak Pack, TutuGUI, and Widescreen mod(If you're unlucky to have one).

Most of them are no-brainer except the Tweak Pack which has more components than all the rest combined. Be careful when insalling this one, as it has everything from convenience changes, through rule changes, to outright cheats.

Shiny Things

Quote Originally Posted by heretic View Post
    Afterwards, you might want to replay BG2 TOB with the Ascension mod (among others) if you haven't allready...
    I never did quite finish TOB, and have long since lost my save games. Which really, really makes me want to replay BG2. (oh for the time).

IIRC though TOB is pretty hardcore, although it's always nice to be throwing about Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting rather than some piss-poor magic missiles or the inevitable and near-useless Colour Spray (which, let's face it, does practically nothing except provoke sniggering from any n'er-do-wells loitering nearby.)

Tempting, very tempting.

But then again...you must gather your party before venturing forth

Argh, argh! Make it stop

Taking a break
    Play solo. Problem solved. There's also a component of BG2 Fixpack which removes it.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Sorry for the thread hijack, but are any visual enhancement packs for Neverwinter Nights 1 that work with the Bioware single player campaigns?

Thanks in advance.

I too quite recently acquired the D&D treasure chest collection, and got hooked up on BG1. I am playing it pure, execept that I added the so-called widescreen patch. It works nicely, except in the Beregost interiors where I get black screen and need to remove the patch for the duration.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulukai View Post
    But then again...you must gather your party before venturing forth

Argh, argh! Make it stop
    believe there is a fix to make it stop

bg2+tob with several mods (tactics mod if you're feeling very hardcore) =

Mister Science
    ANyone any luck installing them on vista? I never get passed the screencheck, it says I need at least 640:480

BR796164
    Curiously I'm through Icewind Dale (+expansions) for second time now, this time in full details and OpenGL as my previous computer couldn't handle it. I thought Infinity games, which I once loved so much, wouldn't appeal me anymore, but big surprise - now I wonder I made it so far into Severed Hand fortress and I'm hungry for more!

As for mods, I don't need any for these games. Perhaps the right time for them is over, I don't want to waste time with unofficial mods, it takes me enough time to complete official stories (yes, I plan to replay BGs as well in the future - I still didn't finish both datadiscs).

However, I may try TUTU or something that enhances graphics/interface of BG1 - I'm too spoiled by playing IWD and BG2 in 1024x768 with possibility to press H and enjoy the peak of honest 2D graphics.

Also I am vocal enthusiast of the full party of 6. This is what the games are about in opposition to modern trend of solo protagonist RPGs (TES, Gothic...) - party tactics! And I'd be sorry for not having those excellently written characters in BG2. For me, the beauty of Infinity games isn't in addiction to experience points hunting in the first place - for that I may as well play Diablo or something equally 'complex'.
    Last edited by Rogue Keeper; 7th Jul 2008 at 06:45.

is Best Pony
    Not for the first runthrough of BG2, but for the second one - Dungeon B Gone.

Dashed hopes for BG 3.

is Best Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Nightfall View Post
    Trilogy? They made BG3 and no-one told me?

Or is the BG2 expansion now considered part three?
    I'm pretty sure the developers always used that tagline for it, no?

BR796164
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayde View Post
    Dashed hopes for BG 3.
    AFAIK WoTC disposed BIS of D&D license before the studio fell apart (please correct me anyone if I'm wrong). The (c) for the games are theoretically in hands of Interplay, but they're not allowed to make another D&D title without proper D&D license. So I suppose it's a dead end. Anyway, isn't it better to create a new amazing story before resurrections of a perfectly ended saga drown it in swamp of mediocrity?

The Architect
    Though it looks like we may finally be getting some real news about BG's successor - http://dragonage.bioware.com/

The 'Black Hound' storyline that was to be BG3 is supposedly going to be released as a NWN2 module.

It's being created by J.E. Sawyer (who was lead designer for Icewind Dale 2, as well as the cancelled BG3 & Fallout 3).

There hasn't been an update for quite some time though, and since it is a side-project who knows when/if it will ever see the light of day.

Taking a break
    BG3 on 3E? Count me in

NWN2 bashing ITT

Anything but. I'd rather have a text adventure than an NWN2 module
    Seriously have any of you played that game?

Terrible camera controls, most inefficient rendering choices since Second Life and undocumented requirements on a previously unknown scale.

It plays like KOTOR3: NOT IN SPACE.

Quote Originally Posted by AxTng1 View Post
    Terrible camera controls, most inefficient rendering choices since Second Life and undocumented requirements on a previously unknown scale.
    Did you patch it? I thought that after the latest patch the camera controls were a lot better, added to which it performed a hell of a lot better. I wasn't particularly keen on the original NWN2 campaign, but I thought that Mask of the Betrayer was among the best D&D CRPG storytelling since Planescape Torment. And the voice acting didn't make me want to puncture my eardrums with rusty nails, which is always a plus.

Taking a break
    Yep, even the fags at RPG Codex loved MotB.

I always find criticism of NWN2 a bit amusing, as I consider NWN1 possibly the worst game I've ever had the misfortune to play- I wanted my money back, and I was given it- and the number of people who criticise holdovers from the first game in NWN2... Not that 2 was brilliant itself, but at least it didn't make me want to fly to Obsid's offices for a ritual burning of game on their doorstep.

And everyone loved MotB, except pro reviewers, people who thought the Spirit Meter was too hard and those with a terminal lack of taste.

is Best Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by Zygoptera View Post
    And everyone loved MotB, except pro reviewers, people who thought the Spirit Meter was too hard and those with a terminal lack of taste.
    I thought most reviewers quite liked it? 82% average at Metacritic, for example.

That's just my bias against latest, greatest, hyptest = 10/10 reviewers showing...

Seriously though, I am rather surprised the metacritic score is that high, I would personally mark it only a little higher. Looking at the reviews listed I suspect the only review above the average I might have read was the IGN one, which may explain why I thought it did worse, since I definitely read the two lowest rated ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast