TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: T2FM "Evirath's Misery" (July 25, 2008)

Quote Originally Posted by rustmite View Post
    Yeah,

Me too. I really like this mission, but I keep getting corrupted saves.

I wish I could finish it.

I am using Garrettloader.
    Jeez, I wonder if I used Garrettloader, maybe it'll actually solve the problem. . we should switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Verak View Post
    Loved the mission, but I noticed that some of the books had pages missing in the middle. I never got the complete story on the "object" that was disassembled. Have no idea what that was all about. Also, who's Evirath? That whole section was missing in the books.
    Hmm the books did have some problems, i noticed that myself, but i remember who Evirath is, is explained in one of the books. In any case you can always 'read' the books by opening the .txt files with the book text.

Please, can anyone explain why the game keeps crashing and ruining my savegames even when running on Darkloader? If not, can someone direct me to where I can download Garrettloader? (I'll try anything at this point)

About that crashing savegame problem:

Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall Thief (don't forget to patch!)? Remove any remains of the corrupted saved games and restart the mission from scratch. Check if the problem persists and please report back your findings.

Try unintalling the Thief2 original game? I can do that, though I'm not sure which patch you're referring to. I may have it already and not realize it, but either way I can't remember what it's called.

Is your Thief 2 patched to version 1.18? (put in CD, check bottom-right corner of that first screen). Although, if not, I would have thought you'd have problems before this.
    Anyhow, patch available many places, incl The Circle.

It worked!! (at least I hope so. . been playing for a few hours and not one crash) Thanks guys!

. . now I'm just stuck. *goes back to read the hints*

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Taffer View Post
    It worked!!
    err.....what worked?

Uninstalling Thief2 and then reinstalling it---god knows why. Anyway. .
    I've looked all over Hansom's office and I can't find any switch. Please say it's not someplace stupidly obvious. .

Lady Taffer: sorry but it's to the right as you walk in - on the wall.

Thanks!. . .of course now I feel even more stupid because I can't find what the switch opens.
    Anyway, I managed to finish the game without whatever the secret was.

See this post

I have the same corrupted save problem. Downloaded the latest version of the mission and every time i save i can't reload. I use darkloader 4.3
    My thief is patched to 1.18

Ok i think i found whats wrong and it has nothing to do with installation of thief2.
    In darkloader setup on the options tab there is a "savegame compression level". I set it to "1" and now i can save and reload fine.
    Last edited by Kin; 3rd Aug 2008 at 05:33.

As long as you don't (un-)install the mission, DarkLoader doesn't do anything to your saved games. So if you play the mission without changing missions in between, DarkLoader won't be the problem.

But thanks for the info, maybe there is something wrong with the zip compression library DarkLoader is using.

If you want to try GarrettLoader its available here: http://www.potterdevelopments.org.uk/fm
    All your DarkLoader saves will work in it as well.

GL uses InfoZip as its zip compression DLL which is pretty much stable (it doesn't like square brackets in files names much though). Also info on the state of the next GL version is here http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122089

I haven't seen any problems with DarkLoader zip compression myself, although increasing the compression to the maximum on any compression process will take much longer and is more prone to corruption.

For info: save games in DL and GL are only zipped up during the uninstall process of an FM and unzipped during the install process. So if you haven't changed FMs then its nothing to do with the FM loader itself, just the thief game (or the FM files themselves).

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterShadow View Post
    As long as you don't (un-)install the mission, DarkLoader doesn't do anything to your saved games. So if you play the mission without changing missions in between, DarkLoader won't be the problem.

But thanks for the info, maybe there is something wrong with the zip compression library DarkLoader is using.
    I haven't played other missions between but the save problem was there. Now after the compression tweak i have tried to uninstall or install other missions between and reinstall the mission, it loads and saves fine. It seems that it was a darkloader issue. I am glad i can continue playing the mission because it is awesome. Can hardly believe it's your first Turcaill!

After about an hour playing i tried to quick save and reload. The game crashed and the save corrupted. After all i am not sure what's going on. Other fan missions din't cause that problem. Is it the mission? is it the installation? Do not know.

Ok, I FINALLY got it working with no slowdowns or crashes... I re-installed from scratch, repatched, added ddfix, and it ran ok...

I then installed T2X, NTEX and EP - still ok... Which should have been what I was at to begin with as the zip file I created for restoring should have been just that baseline.

Most likely some cruft from another fan mission must have been left behind causing my problems. I'm creating a new 'vanilla.zip' from this point so I can restore to baseline faster.

I also reinstalled everything from scratch (Thief, patch, ddfix, darkwidescreen) and after playng for about an hour (after alot sucssesfull saves) tried to save and corupted all my saves. Guess it is a bug and i can't finish the mission.

P.s. And also got that frame rate slow down
    Last edited by Kin; 6th Aug 2008 at 15:54.

Thief corrupted all your saves at once, you say?

That's strange, because when you save a game, Thief should only touch that single game save and nothing else.

Please try the following: delete your game saves and start from scratch (again). This time, everytime you save your game, switch out (ALT-TAB) and make a backup copy of that saved game from the SAVES-Folder to some external media, like an external hard drive. If you've got no external media, copy the saves to another location of your internal harddrive (adjust the file name to prevent overwriting the other backups). When you notice the lag to be occuring again, save your game imediately and check if you're still able to load your other game saves. If so, continue playing until it stops working.

Now if you can't load the saved games located in your Thief saves folder anymore, make another backup of those saves, zip any saves you have backed up, put them on rapidshare and let me have a look at them. Make some notes to let me know which saves did work and which ones didn't, as well as which backup file contains the working version of a file (which one?) that you didn't overwrite but got corrupted while you saved into another save slot.

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterShadow View Post
    Thief corrupted all your saves at once, you say?

That's strange, because when you save a game, Thief should only touch that single game save and nothing else.

Please try the following: delete your game saves and start from scratch (again). This time, everytime you save your game, switch out (ALT-TAB) and make a backup copy of that saved game from the SAVES-Folder to some external media, like an external hard drive. If you've got no external media, copy the saves to another location of your internal harddrive (adjust the file name to prevent overwriting the other backups). When you notice the lag to be occuring again, save your game imediately and check if you're still able to load your other game saves. If so, continue playing until it stops working.

Now if you can't load the saved games located in your Thief saves folder anymore, make another backup of those saves, zip any saves you have backed up, put them on rapidshare and let me have a look at them. Make some notes to let me know which saves did work and which ones didn't, as well as which backup file contains the working version of a file (which one?) that you didn't overwrite but got corrupted while you saved into another save slot.

Ok sorry i should be more specific. After installing everything from scratch i played this fine mission for about an hour making quick saves and normal saves to files (four in number). I was sure that i solved the problem when i tried to save to file and crashed to desktop. The file that i tried to save was missing and the quick save coupted. All other saves work. But before i reinstall thief it hapened to corrupt more than one files with one save. It could be Qsave and another file (probably the one i tried to save).

Here is the Qsave.

http://rapidshare.com/files/135478765/quick.sav.html
    Last edited by Kin; 7th Aug 2008 at 04:08.

Last secret?

I found the 10 secrets referred to by Shadows on July 27th and the Easter Egg.

My way to reach the Easter Egg: Get a crate (there's one near a barrel near the police station, if I remember correctly, although I'm not certain). Go through secret 2 as referred to by Shadows and climb all the way to the roof. Just before descending to the upper level of the police station, drop the crate and use it to climb up between the circular roof and the roof to the right of it. From here, you can easily reach the "flat rooftops" and the Easter Egg.

Now, has anyone found the last secret? *** Update: Yes, see above in this thread for Turcaill's pointer to his lootlist containing the pointer to all secrets. I missed that when I posted this. ***

- prjames

P.S. And I have to agree with others, this is absolutely amazing for a first mission! I loved it! Thanks, and I look forward to more!
    Last edited by prjames; 9th Aug 2008 at 21:15. Reason: Forgot to thank the mission author.

Quote Originally Posted by prjames View Post
    Now, has anyone found the last secret?
    Yes, I did (and many others I think, read posts)...

I'm thankful that you all like my little mission although it caused some problems for some of you (e.g. the corrupted saves)
    The second part is in progress and i'm still fascinated in dromeding

Thanks and greets, Turcaill

ps.: i also posted a link somwhere up where you can dl the complete lootlist + secrets

excellent mission, especially for a debut! I look forward to the second part!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast