TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: new UW/Shock engine recreation in the works

Looks good! Good luck with the project and keep us updated!

/C

Ok, I've finally put together (a very simple) homepage for Abysmal:
    http://abysmal.sourceforge.net/

I also uploaded a few binary snapshots for Windows and Linux. Feel free to try them out

This is awesome!!! Fantastic job so far! One little thing, the viewing angle seems a little weird (makes the tunnels look longer than they are). Wow keep it up!

Thanks! :-)
    You can fiddle with the field of view in the console using "g_fov". The default value is 72, you could try something lower.

Administrator
    Nicely done - good to see it's getting somewhere. Adding SS1 and UW2 was painless and worked well.

Only thing I noticed in UW2 was some incorrect wall descriptions when looking at them. Not sure if you're using the painters algorithm or similar but it seemed sometimes as if it were picking up the first thing that would be drawn at a location and not the closest wall. (Could be completely off-base about that).

Anyway - keep it up

You probably mean picking the wall decorations? I know that there's still a problem with this. The wall decorations in UW are actually drawn on top of the "real" walls.
    I'm using OpenGL's built in selection mode to determine which object was clicked. OpenGL directly returns a list of names and the hit distances.
    But since the wall decoration is drawn exactly where the wall is, they both produce the same hit distance, so you'll sometimes hit the wall decoration and sometimes just hit the wall under the decoration.

Administrator
    Yes - the wall decorations are a bit of a nightmare when it comes to z-fighting. However, I think this is something different. Just look at the walls to the left of the starting position - it will say that you're looking items (humans, popcorn etc.) which are in line with the cursor but obscured by the walls. If you move around you can look at the walls and it will report floor textures (e.g. rugs).

Ah ok, I now see what you mean. It interestingly only happens on Windows, not on Linux, that's why I never discovered it :-/

Very nice looking code. Keep up the good work!

Wow! It's Great so far! Being able to run around Citadel Station is really neat!

Looking forwards to future work on the project!

was playing around a bit with my new iphone...

Wow! That's awesome!

Administrator
    That looks excellent - is that 31 FPS figure genuine?

Yes, the 31 FPS are real. I'm pretty impressed by the iPhone 3GS hardware, it's really more like a little PC in your pocket, complete with a powerful ARM CPU clocking at 667 MHz, a floating point unit and a OpenGL ES compatible 3D chip.

I'm pretty sure that it's possible to squeeze even more FPS out of abysmal. The rendering is in no way optimized for OpenGL ES. It's mostly the same code that also runs on Windows and Linux.
    There are games available for the iPhone which have much better graphics than abysmal and run damn fast. So I really think there's still a lot of potential for optimizations.

Administrator
    Now I'm tempted to get one....

How much texture memory does it have available to the 3D chip or does it use a different architecture?

I look forward to checking it out on a Pandora, then :) That's got very similar hardware, and a slightly better variant of the same 3D chipset, I think. Plus it has a keyboard, and gaming controls :)

The iPhone has 24MB of texture memory. It uses a PowerVR MBX
    which also supports shader programs.

@Shadowcat: The pandora also looks pretty cool. Unfortunately it's already sold out. Don't know if they intend to produce more once the first shipment is out.

Very nice!

openPandora's page mentions second shipment the next december, dunno if it is actual though.

Nice work!

eddy, are you planning to have the iPhone version available from your website at any stage?

Yes, once it's completely working. There's currently no input handling on the iPhone version. You'll also need to jailbreak your phone to get it running.

The thought of being able to flick through inventory items by touch alone sounds wonderful; albeit potentially problematic and difficult to implement. Is it your ultimate intention to implement a comprehensive touch UI for the UWs?

Incidentally, I jailbroke my iPhone today in order to try out some other non approved app.

I for one do not care in the slightest about the iPhone but would fantastically be interested in working Shock engine remake.

A touch interface is certainly something I want to do, but it won't happen anytime soon. The major goal is to get the games roughly playable first, and there's still a lot to do in this direction.

@Briareos H: abysmal also supports shock (though it's lacking a bit
    behind the uw support)

yes I've been following the project quite closely and it's very promising . I was merely restoring the balance for iphone-not-havers

I wonder why there aren't more people interested in an engine port of System Shock 1, why TSSHP is dead, why no one (competent enough) is offering help for your project. Maybe there's really only a handful of us who have a love for the game that goes far beyond what can be seen for SS2 or BS.

Anyway, thank you for your dedicated work.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast