TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Current song you are listening to(or the Last song you listened to)

I recorded my first dj set today. I've been DJ'ing for about a month, so I'm just learning the basics. I'm quite happy about the mix, albeit there's some Gain problems. I'd be glad if anyone wanted to have a listen. It's house music from some deeper stuff to dancefloor fillers. https://soundcloud.com/juusoko/gregory-house

I'm not really into house, but I'd happily dance to that after a few drinks.

Edge of Sanity

Any metalheads (particularly progressive/death fans) here?

Here ya' go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St6lJaiHYIc

A brief information for those who have never heard of Edge of Sanity before:

This band was an essential piece of the Swedish death metal. Their earlier releases were more like classic Swedish death metal, later they experimented with their sound and fused death metal with progressive rock with their 1994 release, "Purgatory Afterglow". Then they released one of the GREATEST concept albums ever in 1996 ("Crimson", I mean). In my opinion, it's the best progressive death metal album that has ever been created. Running at 40:00, this song covers the whole album, mind you :P If you like Opeth, definitely check this band out. They have some similarities between each other in terms of musical style, guitar solos, atmosphere, etc. Though Edge of Sanity had been around before Opeth, they did not enjoy as much success as Opeth, sadly. Later they split up, possibly ruling out any chances of a future reunion (still hope they'll reunite one day). The band members were awesome, but I believe Edge of Sanity was mostly about Dan Swanö. This guy is simply genius and he is one of the few people that I could call "a real musician".

Oh, before I forget, Crimson features Mikael Åkerfeldt as guest vocals!

If you enjoyed Crimson, see also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xdj1MTQetk - Crimson II, a sequel to Crimson, released in 2003 (mostly recorded and written by Dan Swanö alone except the lyrics).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8czMG450fQ - Dan Swanö's only solo album that was released under his actual name. Sounds like an Edge of Sanity release.

P.S.: Dan Swanö is god.
    Last edited by Arcatera; 20th May 2014 at 09:16.

Taking the Death Toll
    Edge of Sanity was pretty decent when I gave a shit about that kind of music.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Edge of Sanity was pretty decent when I gave a shit about that kind of music.
    Way better than many so-called shitty death metal bands and other new generation metal bands indeed. Crimson never gets old. It has a great replay value. I always listen to it when I'm on the way to my university.

Taking the Death Toll
    God, death metal is just 90% the same fucking thing over and over, isn't it? I think if I had to pick a top 3 bands I'd actually want to go back to listen to, it'd be Bolt Thrower and Death.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Speaking of jazz, this (Just Call Me Nige) comes from a live performance of IMO the best jazz album of this year, Brad Mehldau's Taming the Dragon. By the end of the song I feel like the jazz space-time continuum has glitched and this came out.
    Man I was sure I had posted about it earlier. Glad someone did. IMO nothing on the album quite reaches the heights of the live version of Just Call Me Nige and yet it's one of the best jazz albums I've listened to in quite a while. Guiliana and Mehldau are beasts. I'd kill for a record that includes that/these live session(s), too.

Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    I'm not really into house, but I'd happily dance to that after a few drinks.
    Thanks, that's all I'm after at the moment!

Speaking of jazz, have you guys listened to Snarky Puppy? That's something that has kept me listening their work over and over. Just subliminal skills and feeling (and this is coming from a guy who doesn't appreciate "jazz music for jazz musicians" kind of jazz, which this is close by but avoids imo).

This singer, Ayla Nereo, with this band, The Polish Ambassadors, is mesmerizing funk squared.

Some other good tracks:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT1qPwHdXHA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNc6fD5p56k

Sylvan Esso - Coffee

Hipster art-chill-nostalgia-groove material. Thanks NPR's interludes!.
    Also, I think I've been to all those parties. Many moons ago
    (yes, even the nightmarish cardigan fest)
    Last edited by Muzman; 1st Jun 2014 at 00:14.

I had never knew who Kate Bush was, I had heard the name.

Or what "Wuthering Hieghts" was, I thought is was some sophisticated literary stuff.

A pretty cool song.

It's kind of the Cliff's Notes for the book in case reading is hard.

Speaking of how the rap industry is destroying our boys, I can't get enough of the new Death Grips.

Taking the Death Toll
    Me either, but I've yet to see anything top Money Store.

Couple of chilled baby-making songs I'm digging in my cycle of music at the moment:

Little Dragon's "Pretty Girls"

Moderat's "Let In The Light"

and how about Stay High (Habits Remix)
    Last edited by Scots Taffer; 15th Jun 2014 at 08:07.

verbose douchebag
    This is doing it for me right now:

Afghan Whigs - Matamoros

Level 10,000 achieved
    I like that Little Dragon track Scots.

Lately I've been listening to this really cool band I discovered through the Watch Dogs soundtrack. This is JC Brooks & The Uptown Sound.

Still Subjective
    I like that new Afghan Whigs track. They are quite hit and miss for me but I like a lot of their older hits. They've got an interesting sound.

I've been listening to Ludovico Einaudi's latest - In A Time Lapse.

Here is the title track.

verbose douchebag
    Another St Vincent track. I love the song to bits and the video is just perfect:

This fantastic rework of a ragga classic:

Still Subjective
    Ha ha. Amusing.

I've just discovered these guys via Spotify.

Royal Blood

Just a bass and drums. Great.

AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" - on flaming bagpipes!

Chakat sex pillow

Real summer pop songs are actually wistful rock songs with searing lyrics rising from under soap-bubble drenched harmonies.

Level 10,000 achieved
    My summer pop song of the moment is a bunch of middle-aged Belgians singing a Lykke Li song.

Page 100 of 147 FirstFirst ... 5055606570758085909596979899100101102103104105110115120125130135140145 ... LastLast