TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Current song you are listening to(or the Last song you listened to)

verbose douchebag
    You can't beat a bit of heyday Bowie, especially not when sat in a pub playing cards all afternoon like some friends and I used to do in a place where the bar staff would set you up an ipod playlist if the palce was quiet enough.

No use him replicating his older stuff though. He's Bowie, he's got the money and the fan base to do what he likes, hence he's all over the place.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I didn't know what to make of that Bowie track at first but I'm starting to like it more and more.

Anyway here's some psychadellic pop.

Fans of Dungen, Ariel Pink or Tame Impala might wanna give this a spin!

I'm loving having this on in the background while I have stuff to do.

Here's a little tribute to Scott Weiland who passed away earlier today. STP usually played second fiddle to Nirvana and Pearl Jam back in the 90s, but I was still a big fan. So sad that he's "moved on," but with Scott it was always just a matter of when not if, considering his drug issues. Anyway, always loved this cover:

Stumbled into this album, and it's been growing on me quickly. It's prog rock, I guess.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Pitchfork, along with the rest of their year-end lists, listed their 20 favourite music videos of the year.

A lot of good stuff on there, but my fave is one by a band I've never heard of before:

(not original or anything, just a really well executed song and dance number)

Not really a song, but is nice and chilling for the morning:

Level 10,000 achieved

I finally got around to picking up Sufjan Stevens' latest album Carrie & Lowell a couple weeks ago and it's really affecting me like nothing I've heard in years. I can't get through the whole album without breaking out in tears at some point. This is in part because there are enough similarities between his story of his mom & her death and what I experienced with my mom that it's bringing out old grief. But it's also the way he's laying himself out there. I always enjoyed his musical compositions and thought his lyrics were smart but sometimes too indulgent and obfuscated, but this album seems so much more direct and personal.

Obligatory YouTube link:

It's kinda sad, but this week I bought my first two David Bowie albums. (I had the occasional song of his on soundtracks, e.g. "I'm Deranged" on Lost Highway.)

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    It's kinda sad, but this week I bought my first two David Bowie albums.
    Awesome! Which ones did you buy? Please tell me that at least the other one was Hunky Dory or Ziggy Stardust. Not that there's anything wrong with many of his other albums either obviously, but those two are the essential ones from my favourite Bowie era, and both are pretty much near-perfect albums (apart from 'Andy Warhol' on Hunky Dory, I've never liked that song.)

The 3-CD Platinum Collection (which consists of Best of 1969/1974, 1974/1979 & 1980/1987) is also a very good choice for someone who wants to get introduced to Bowie, if greatest hits collections are your thing. In my opinion Bowie's music sounds even better when you listen to whole albums though, but this collection does cover the different eras pretty well and has most of the essential hits as well as some great rarities on it.

verbose douchebag

Level 10,000 achieved

IT'S THAT SWAMP RAWK

YOU IN THE SWAMP NOW BABY YEEEEEEEEEAAAAYYYUUHHHHHH

(seriously tho, Fogerty's 2007 album Revival is damn good. A lot of it is up there with the CCR stuff.)

Love Creedence and Fogerty's voice.

Anyway, for those interested, I have a (currently fairly regularly being added to) soundcloud at: https://soundcloud.com/davidmassey

You may enjoy my alt-rock. Subscribe for future songs!

Hey Fingernail, come a long way since Chip Pan Fire eh? Brutal honesty will follow
    You need someone to write your lyrics for you, cos I think they are a bit shit. Your vocals have improved heaps, but stay in the lower register, the upper tends to be a bit weak and pitchy. Musically I really like it, even though this style isnt really my bag. Love the guitar playing.

verbose douchebag
    Also, we have a separate thread for creative stuff

aint nobody got time for that old chestnut

verbose douchebag
    Maybe a new thread then? Just seems a little OT for this thread.

I guess Fingernail thought that this was the only way anyone might possibly listen to stuff, seeing as its a current and active thread.

verbose douchebag
    Fair enough, I'm just harking back to the thread about trying to liven up the forums by having more threads specific to subject rather than everything pooling into mega-threads. I meant no harm.

Yeah, I did toy with making a new thread. If any mod wants to split, then go ahead - I'll make one next time there's something new.

Thanks for listening and the comments PigLick, nice to know some of that earlier stuff is remembered too! I'm not going to try and defend my lyric writing since that way lies futility; I guess ya either like it or ya don't. Like every aspect (such as my voice) I have been and continue working to hone it, following my own muse and influences. I would say some songs are more music driven and some lyric driven. Usually I tend to write the words first, and perhaps those are the stronger, but thar be no accounting for taste as you well know!

I was actually a bit harsh about the lyrics now that I think about it, but you have the right attitude anyway. Good to hear from you on ttlg as well!

Page 105 of 146 FirstFirst ... 5556065707580859095100101102103104105106107108109110115120125130135140145 ... LastLast