TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Current song you are listening to(or the Last song you listened to)

Not nostalgia. I love his voice. It has depth and range and conveys emotion well. There isn't another like it though so many try to imitate it. It has the confidence of being completely natural. He was the epitome of confidence period. Who the hell wouldn't be with his looks? But he wore it well. It allowed him to be just who he was with no artifice and that was damn cool. I like to think on my best days I have some of that in me. After all, we share blood.

Something a bit more cosmic perhaps?

I will absolutely defend this as a better opener than Leper Affinity (which I remember someone posting a few months ago or more). The punch in the face after the first couple of bars is unparalleled, especially when combined with the melancholic emotional punch of the rest of the song, and it never truly loses its momentum even in the soft sections.

SShock2.com

I can not hide my sarcasm and disdain.

Information Society: We don't need this fascist groove thing (Heaven 17 cover)

You know why I'm posting this, even if you disagree with me. You know, and you should know better.

[Edit]

Bonus rant: KMFDM WWIII
    Last edited by Gray; 1st Mar 2019 at 00:00.

I've been enjoying a bit of Russian Synth Pop with this...

Anyone fancy any Popcorn?...

Keith Flint of The Prodigy has apparently passed away at the age of 49... And there goes another piece of my youth. I can't say that I ever was a huge fan as I was really into britpop and such back then, but those hit songs especially bring back some fond memories. They still sound pretty awesome!

I used to think that he's totally mad...

... and I still do! RIP you twisted firestarter

In honour of Keith I bought The Prodigy's latest album yesterday, No Tourists. I can confirm it sounds like The Prodigy. I may now have a concussion from all the beats to da face.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Well that's a shame. I've ever only been a casual fan of The Prodigy, but I have enjoyed the singles, even the more recent ones. Saw them live in 2013 and they put on a great show, everyone really got into it.

Prodigy makes for good AMVs. It's hard to pick one so here's a bunch. As good a tribute as any.

New Haiduk album 'Exomancer' [cosmic blackened death metal]

I've been listening to the old The Prodigy stuff, R.I.P. Keith!

SShock2.com

Keith Flint was my age. I always saw him as a powerhouse of energy but with no actual influence on the music, that was Liam Howlett. True, he turned into a frontman for the band, but to me he never was the band. Liam made the cool stuff, Keith and Leeroy fronted it. He has wrongly been hailed as the Saviour of Techno, which is just the same bullshit clueless reporters always haul out when some musician dies. Overhyped by people who did not know him. I could be wrong, just working from memory. Do not mistake my words as disrespect for Keith, I did admire him, but let's remember him for who he was, not some made up nonsense. Bowie did not invent rock. Neither did Freddie. When someone dies, the hype hyperboles. Having said that, just like everybody else, I will now go through all my Prodigy stuff once again, because his untimely death reminded me of it. And mine.

His passing is sad. It's another part of my youth gone. Too early.

Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    Not nostalgia. I love his voice. It has depth and range and conveys emotion well. There isn't another like it though so many try to imitate it. It has the confidence of being completely natural. He was the epitome of confidence period. Who the hell wouldn't be with his looks? But he wore it well. It allowed him to be just who he was with no artifice and that was damn cool. I like to think on my best days I have some of that in me. After all, we share blood.
    Oh, I know you like his music for what it is - I was just screwing around. When I was a kid, my family always played his gospel stuff around Easter and Christmas so for years(until I was mid teens) that is how I thought of him - as a gospel singer. It wasn't until high school that I learned he was the 'King of Rock 'n Roll'.

To this day though, whenever I hear Elvis mentioned, my first thought is his gospel stuff.

Oh yeah, my mission to find my dad's Elvis records was unsuccessful. I couldn't find a few of his guns either(edit: which REALLY pisses me off as many of them where hand-me-downs going back a few generations! I'm talking about irreplaceable, less than 1,000 made shotguns and rifles dating back to the late 1800s!)

I swear, family are like vultures sometimes - just circling around, waiting for their turn to feed on the remains. It's kool though. All the locks have been changed now and I have learned a lesson.
    Last edited by curseofnight; 11th Mar 2019 at 17:20.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I was looking for covers of Tom Waits songs on Spotify and found a really cool version of "Make it rain" by a band called Spinifex Gum. Then I listened to the rest of their album and was really impressed, both by their unique sound and socially conscious lyrics. Looked them up online afterwards and apparently it's a quite large collective of Australian musicians.

Album

YouTube just recommended me this and I thought it was worth sharing: Altın GŁn:

That was really good. Youtube algo must hate me these days.

It was. Had some funk going there at the end. The singer at the start had Andy Kaufman eyes. He played the first electric lyre I've heard too.

I've been on a lucky streak with the tube lately and found several good artists I hadn't heard before. Much of it thanks to KEXP and Tiny Desk Concerts, who both not always present my style of music, but always -- I dare say -- stuff that feels genuine and worth giving a chance even when I end up not listening to it again. It's nice seeing that YouTube isn't all crap.

The same day I listened to Aldous Harding's take on folk:

I think I've heard the name before, but never listened to her until now (first one was The Barrel and then I was hooked). She also happens to remind me of someone I knew a long time ago, but that's another story.

Khruangbin also caught my ear:

Japanese early 80's genre "City Pop" has really caught my attention of late, this is an great example.

Wasn't a big fan of the original, but I like this cover. Less upbeat and more gray suits the lyrics just fine, IMO.

SShock2.com

I may be a bitter grumpy cynic, but I'm by heart a naive optimist.

[Edit]

In fact, if I was just a little bit more bitter and cynical, I would suggest that Brexit is a perfect example of de-evolution. But I'm not.
    Last edited by Gray; 21st Mar 2019 at 22:02.

SShock2.com

Quote Originally Posted by SirLord Best View Post
    This. For the most obvious reason.

I'm too tired to write anything of substance about it, but that's what I'm listening to right now.

Page 130 of 147 FirstFirst ... 3080859095100105110115120125126127128129130131132133134135140145 ... LastLast