TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 135 of 147 FirstFirst ... 35859095100105110115120125130131132133134135136137138139140145 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,375 of 3653

Thread: Current song you are listening to(or the Last song you listened to)

Quote Originally Posted by Gray View Post
    This is Hugh Reed, without his Velvet Underpants: "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy":
    Never would I have thought that graffiti I read on a bathroom wall while I was pissing forty years ago in a bar called the Abbey in Oxford, Mississippi would one day be made into a song. For some reason he put the word "full" in it though.

And just because you have to hear Polka Floyd once in your life-

SShock2.com

What makes an old fat guy dance? Bombskare!

I just got back from an awesome gig, a charity event called Love Glasgow, Hate Racism. Headlining was my favourite Scottish band Bombskare. My knee was dodgy from, well, age, but I couldn't stop myself from dancing like an idiot, headbanging and doing all the stupid shit drunk people do at gigs, like pointing at the bass player when he did his solo. Awesome. I even spoke to some of the locals, so I must have been drunk.

I even bumped into Scott and Andy at the bar before they went on, and was given a chance to tell them how much I love their music. Of course, to them, I was just some random drunk guy, but still, I felt I was quite articulate at the time and I hope they appreciate us dumb drunken fans

[Edit]

Some of the other acts were also quite good, like The Twisteds, and The Wutons, I'd never heard of either before. Unfortunately, the second act was some English guy who was so painfully embarrassingly bad I had to go outside and stand next to the smokers. But the other bands made up for that.

[Edit again]

For some reason, this time, they didn't have the full 9-piece assembly, probably only seven people on stage and only two in the brass section, wee Mandy didn't do the bass so Murray did it instead, but they keep getting better every single time. I've seen them what, 6-7 times now, and this was the best one yet. Every time is better than the previous. They are so full of energy you can not stand still. Even if you don't like ska, it is so infectious you WILL dance whether you want to or not. I mean, sheesh, just look at the trumpet player in that video, he did exactly the same thing tonight, just can't stand still. So very very bouncy.
    Last edited by Gray; 10th Aug 2019 at 22:44.

Went on a bit of a Togawa Jun binge the other day. I love her vocal range and eccentric personality, of course, but most of all I love how she takes the piss out of pop music. There nothing quite like it. She's like an entire counterculture movement all by herself.

Anyway, here are a couple of her morbidly weird anti-love songs that I could find with English subtitles. They represent only a tiny, tiny fraction of her weirdness, though.

Oh, and here's one without subtitles to give a bit more rounded impression of her:

And here's the lyrics.
    Last edited by Starker; 10th Aug 2019 at 23:29.

@Starker:
    Cool lady.

I'm listening to Calexico today after NPR reminded me. They have a couple of tracks on the soundtrack for Dead Man's Shoes, a movie I haven't seen (yet), but still own the soundtrack for.

...and right, right now it's King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard:
    Last edited by qolelis; 19th Aug 2019 at 06:10. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by qolelis View Post
    They have a couple of tracks on the soundtrack for Dead Man's Shoes, a movie I haven't seen (yet), but still own the soundtrack for.
    You should get around to watching that. It's a really great indie thriller that makes up for its tiny budget with authenticity.

SShock2.com

I'm listening to Calexico today
    Holy crap, it's been ages since I've listened to Calexico. They meant so much to us back in the day. Many sweet memories. Thank you.

SShock2.com

EinstŁrzende Neubauten
    I sometimes forget that other people have heard of them, quite often I feel it's just me. It's very nice to be reminded that I'm not. Thank you. I only saw them live once. It was the first time I've ever seen a soundcheck of two angle grinders and a power drill.

I figure there's one or two people who have heard Stella Maris somewhere, at least:

SShock2.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    Polka Floyd
    I see your Polka Floyd and raise you Elškelšiset - Sorvarin humppa (Ace of spades)

Probably the funniest cover band I've ever seen at a rock festival. Oasis explicitly told them, through lawyers, to stop playing their ompa cover of Wonderwall.

Gotta love that Finnish sense of humour.

SShock2.com

:ahem:

I forgot about the Leningrad Cowboys. They are six levels funnier.

It's quite difficult to explain what the hell is going on there, it's a weird mixture of very cartoony slapstick and very subtle understated jokes. The Finns excel at that. Harsh, but very very funny.

Well you certainly out weirded me. Rather than going weirder how about this? It's got that smooth sound which just thrills my soul. I could strangle the mixer for not concentrating on her voice. I hate the non video thing too. I could have done better on both in one afternoon. But the song and her voice just win me. So sweet. So smooth. Oh let go of my heart. It hurts. No wait. Don't.

Well hell, I found this one which is what I asked for but now I think it's too much. Now the other seems more authentic. There is no pleasing me.

It NEEDS the keyboard. Her voice is still good but maybe it needs her feeling instead of focusing. But the keyboard brings out a certain flavor you can't get otherwise. And it lacks the smooth factor somehow.
    Last edited by Tocky; 17th Aug 2019 at 22:15. Reason: So I could edit.

SShock2.com

Wait, they did WHAT?

I just had a WTF moment.

I was looking up some Laibach, to continue the theme of weird covers (such as their brilliantly subversive sarcastic cover of Queen's One Vision), when I stumbled upon something I did not expect.

This.

They did a cover of The Normal's 1978 cult classic Warm Leatherette. I did not expect that. And they did it WELL. I had no idea they did it, I need to start paying attention more.

For those who don't know, Laibach are a Slovenian band that use totalitarian imagery and sounds to sarcastically mock the oppressive Soviet state that they were once subjected to. One Vision is subverted to its most sinister extreme, there's only ONE vision, and it's ours, and you damn well do what we tell you. Laibach protested against the communist regime with art and music, and a quite lethal dose of sarcasm that was often mistaken for sincerity, that's how they could fly under the radar of what was allowed. If you listen to the original Queen version, the lyrics are actually quite weird, and it lends itself rather easily to totalitarian mockery. Ein volk, ein welt... sounds slightly nazi already.

[Edit: Queen links]
    Last edited by Gray; 19th Aug 2019 at 13:32.

SShock2.com

Say it loud! I'm Scots and Proud!

Been listening to a lot of Hugh Reed lately, and I was looking for Scots and Proud, a subversion of the James Brown track, but alas, it was not on youtube. But this was.

So many cultural references, I find it hilarious. To you, maybe old hat.

[Edit]

Hugh Reed may have been low budget, but every single one of his shows were a spectacle, full of props and jokes. Sometimes he'd change costumes six times within one song, wear a television set on his head, and run around the audience and cover us in sticky tape (SCOTCH tape!). He was hilarious. "I wanna be a punk rocker but me mama wouldnae let me".

[Edit again]

My wife befriended Hugh, so when he moved to China, he sent us a lovely wedding present from there. It's still on our wall, but it took me Daxim to explain its cultural significance.
    Last edited by Gray; 26th Aug 2019 at 17:56.

As I've been in a retro gaming mood recently ...This!...

Still Subjective
    Great track for a great game!

I wish games had that level of complexity now. They're all so damn involved these days.

Been listening to a lot of Hugh Reed lately, and I was looking for Scots and Proud, a subversion of the James Brown track, but alas, it was not on youtube. But this was.

So many cultural references, I find it hilarious. To you, maybe old hat.
    [Edit]
    Hugh Reed may have been low budget, but every single one of his shows were a spectacle, full of props and jokes. Sometimes he'd change costumes six times within one song, wear a television set on his head, and run around the audience and cover us in sticky tape (SCOTCH tape!). He was hilarious. "I wanna be a punk rocker but me mama wouldnae let me".
    [Edit again]
    My wife befriended Hugh, so when he moved to China, he sent us a lovely wedding present from there. It's still on our wall, but it took me Daxim to explain its cultural significance.
    Well shit. Don't tell us what's on your wall or anything. Could be a kilt with a pecker hanging out for all we know.

And yeah, hadn't heard that one in twenty years, it was a nice trip down memory lane. That girls eyes. Oh.

And you don't want to know how Scotch tape was actually named.

Here is one I like:

Another thread made me return to Steve Reich again, and his Music for 18 Musicians:

My fondest concert memory is from attending my very first concert, as an independent unit, which was Kroumata playing Steve Reich. Kroumata is/was a Swedish percussion ensemble which was sadly more appreciated abroad (just like Ingmar Bergman is/was), but at least I got the pleasure of hearing them twice. Among the general public they were considered too highbrow, and living in Sweden can be quite limiting if you're not part of the mainstream (especially if you grow up outside of the big cities, although that's a side-note).

I also remember ending up on the balcony overlooking the scene. I wasn't supposed to be there and realized afterwards that I could have snuck in for free.

Kroumata playing Steve Reich's Drumming (hearing it live was fantastic):

JiřŪ KyliŠn has also used it in his choreography for Falling Angels:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joCoAQ18Idc (excerpt)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as4gdQZjI9E (longer, but potato)

...and, of course, the parody.

Edit:
    Kroumata is/was
    I'm saying "was", because they are so much a part of a past life now.
    Last edited by qolelis; 27th Aug 2019 at 05:07.

SShock2.com

Kroumata
    Holy shit, someone else actually knows of them? I'm impressed.

Because of the loud lawnmower outside, I had to play something loud to drown it out, so I dug up this old thing. Does the trick.

MDFMK was a one-off project with members of KMFDM, or rather what would become the new-and-improved KMFDM, with only Sasha K left as the original member.

[Edit]

...and, of course, the parody.
    Hilarious. Not seen that for ages. Thank you.
    Last edited by Gray; 27th Aug 2019 at 07:32.

Holy shit
    Speaking of which, I forgot to react to you mentioning Elškelšiset. I discovered them in 2012 when I was investigating Finnish live dance orchestras (for a hobby project I was doing). The very first song of theirs I listened to was Elšn Humpalla:

...or was it Humppanirvana:

Also jealous of you for having heard Neubauten live; that must have been quite the experience.

Edit:
    I don't remember how I found out about Kroumata. Internet was hardly a thing back then, so I don't think it was that. Could have been from the telly.

SShock2.com

Well it was late in their career and not so much industrial noise any more, only the occasional power drill and angle grinder. But it was quite a spectacle.

I discovered Kroumata through both my brothers; the older one was living in Stockholm at the time just around the corner from where they'd often play, and the younger one is a drummer, so they both told me I need to go see them. They also did the music for some theatre play I saw, perhaps Shakespeare or something, I forget, I was too keen on the girl I was with to pay enough attention.

Fun to hear that Nirvana cover again, not heard it for ages.

SShock2.com

I used to be with it, then they changed what "it" was...

All this talk of old rock festivals I used to to go, two bands seemed to be at every single one.

S.P.O.C.K

and more importantly,

Covenant

I've probably seen both bands some 15-odd times. Good times. Seeing Covenant in Glasgow a couple of years ago was just pure bliss. I waved my Swedish flag like an idiot, just to let them know there was a countryman in the audience. I think Eskil noticed, he pointed at it. I wanted them to feel welcome, but the locals beat me to it by going massively wild for their songs.
    Last edited by Gray; 27th Aug 2019 at 14:22.

SShock2.com

Nobody beats The B52's channeling Devo for danceable weird.
    I dreamt about this song again last night. It evokes memories of my teenage years, when this song was already old.

It's quite a long song and you have to give it up for the girls making all those noises. Lovely crazy. I only recalled it because I heard it playing in the background of the sex scene in "Knocked Up".

You must have strange dreams. Lucky you.

Here is Rival Sons playing "Electric Man". Often they sound like Led Zeppelin but not so much on this one.

SShock2.com

You must have strange dreams.
    Yes.

Lucky you.
    No.

Here is Rival Sons playing "Electric Man".
    This, I like.

[Edit]

I often dream about music. Sometimes Devo, or They Might Be Giants, or whatever noisy crap I was listening to recently. But I hear songs in my dreams. Maybe that's not normal.
    Last edited by Gray; 29th Aug 2019 at 05:55.

Page 135 of 147 FirstFirst ... 35859095100105110115120125130131132133134135136137138139140145 ... LastLast