TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 15 of 149 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920253035404550556065115 ... LastLast

Thread: Current song you are listening to(or the Last song you listened to)

I think you probably haven't heard most rap.

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

TV on the Radio - Crying

Thank you Scots. I started thinking about Godley & Creme's song called Cry when you mentioned that. Then I realized I didn't have it in my library, so I had to go to Amazon.com to buy it. I ended up buying $50 worth of stuff while there. Thanks for making me spend money! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    I think you probably haven't heard most rap.
    Exactly. I liked what he posted, so I said "ha, I knew I didn't hate rap!" because I just couldn't think of any rap I liked, now I can. I'll admit that didn't make much sense but whatever.

i dig

but there's a lot of really great hip-hop that you don't hear on the radio, and it's the radio music that seems to engender most people's opinion on genre.

I'm no expert myself, but off the top of my head I recommend Ghostface -- he's a great introduction for those of us not so used to rap.

Taking the Death Toll
    I agree. There's a lot of quality out there, you just have to look for it. And let's be honest, most of it's going to be at least before the 2000s.

I'm no rap expert but Illmatic is a fucking awesome album, period.

Permanently Enlarged

is Best Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    I've been slowly putting together a Rogue Trooper soundtrack out of the .bik files the game uses, and have been listening to the incredible 12-minute epic that Tom Bible wrote for the 6th stage (the Hoppa/dam sequence).
    Is that difficult to achieve? Do you need converters and crap or does it all run through Blink?

Taking the Death Toll
    I had to convert them all to .wav, then piece them together into a single sound file and save them as mp3 in Goldwave. The music is divided up into "ambient", "action" and "tension" themes, all of which have their own files that loop; surrounding these are a number of smaller files- intros and outros that fade in and out, respectively, but also little "bridges" for when one song flows into another.

Not every song has an intro or outro or bridge, which means I'm often constructing 7-minute mp3s out of two 3-minute loops, ordered in a certain way because Ambient Loop 1 doesn't have an outro and Action Loop 3 doesn't have an intro, but there's a bridge between the two.

And sometimes, I just have to get creative.

The 12-minute epic is composed of 3 loops, only one of which has an intro, and only one of which has an outro, and they have bridges only to/from the middle loop. It all flows seamlessly together, and comes out to 12 minutes 15 seconds, just like Bible said.

Only problem is, sometimes the resulting mp3 sounds a bit shit- one of the menu themes is a bit crackly and one of the other ingame songs drops out repeatedly in the beginning; I'll have to redo them, which means digging out the .bik files and reconverting. Soemthing must've gone wrong along the way.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    Ghostface -- he's a great introduction for those of us not so used to rap.
    Seconded! The 'Fishscale' album is great. I'm not crazy about gangsta rap but Ghostface, and the rest of Wu-Tang, are exceptions.

As for the old school vs new school debate I think rap just getting better all the time. Although that might be because I'm digging deeper as time goes on. But most of my fave rap artists/albums are post-millennial. Sage Francis, Buck 65, MF Doom, dose one, Brother Ali, Outkast, The Streets, Aesop Rock, all that good stuff.

Thunder Road - Springsteen

I think there is something missed by a lot of bands, the ones that focus on lyrics, and riffs, and beats, (I'm not saying, obviously, that Springsteen neglects any of these, but often an understanding of the lyrics comes second - his voice isn't always right out in front, and his delivery is not the clearest) and it's the simple SOUND of the record. So much of the meaning of recorded music is in its tonal quality and Born to Run is one of those albums where everything has been put down on tape for a reason. It's not great to listen to on headphones, because it's practically mono. But there's power and oomph in mono that too much stereo separation, whilst increasing clarity, loses. And that's part of the sound, and it's part of the thought that's gone into the album.

Dead Kennedys - Pull My Strings

Taking the Death Toll
    FEAR always makes me think of this.

Quote Originally Posted by heretic View Post
    Dead Kennedys - Pull My Strings
    Man, I'd love to see a video from the award show they did that at.

Permanently Enlarged
    On the topic of hip-hop, I find Del tha Funkee Homosapien to be well worth the $20 for one of his CDs.

I'm not a huge rap fan, but I do like some stuff, Fishscale is a fucking awesome album.

Mentioned it a couple of times already, but MFDoom is a must, MMFood, Madvillain, and Dangerdoom are all great albums.

I quite like Aesop Rock, although his albums can be a bit hit and miss, ditto for El-P.

Kool Keith is always worth listening to, although can be a bit hard to track down.

Taking the Death Toll

Both of his albums were great, although I always preferred this.

Taking the Death Toll
    Nothing tops this, for me.

That album was great. I always liked Tiptoe Through The Inferno and Bill's Dream, although apparently no one's made fan videos for them as of yet.

is Best Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Rogue Troopery musical goodness
    Eek, thanks. I may give that a miss though.

BR796164
    Recoil - Drifting

<3 Alan. Unsound Methods was his peak, imho.

Page 15 of 149 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920253035404550556065115 ... LastLast