TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 151 of 161 FirstFirst ... 51101106111116121126131136141146147148149150151152153154155156 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,775 of 4019

Thread: Current song you are listening to(or the Last song you listened to)

I'm not into 1960's music. It was over played by a local radio station for too many years so i grew to hate the music. Never understood the allure of 'yellow submarine' - the monkee's 'day dream believer' is a much better song. I'm mainly talking about 1960's inspired music like 'The Bangles - In Your Room'... music beat and style like 'B-52's Love Shack'. Velvet Revolver is more too my liking. Alternative music softer stuff like Incubus or hard stuff like Korn. Living in USA we didn't get any of European rock at all so those bands i listed i never actually heard of before.

You guys seem to conflate all music from the 60s that you dislike with "hippie music", while the 60s-tunes that you like are something else to you. Truth is, there is no genre called "hippie music" because hippies listened to many different styles of music. Including a lot that you like (and some you might like). Ah well. Here's a tune you'll be humming for a while: Dreadlock Holiday by 10cc from 1978.

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    You guys seem to conflate all music from the 60s that you dislike with "hippie music"
    Nah, that was just me.
    Truth is, there is no genre called "hippie music"
    Yes, there is.
    See here, "cd Music; ls" on my NAS.
    Code:
    (knint)$ ls
     Ambient         Deutsch      Gothic                  Lounge       Pop
     Britpop         Dream       'Groove Salad'           Misc         Post-Punk
     Classical       Electronic   Hippie                  Nederlands   Psychobilly
     Dance           Factory      Industrial             'New Wave'    Punk
    'Dark Ambient'   Noise        Tuxedomoon
    (knint)$
    There is clearly a genre called "Hippie" music.

And btw, 10CC made pop music. I don't think it had anything to do with hippies, alternative music, subculture, or whatever. Just simple pop music. "The Wallstreet Shuffle" was my favorite song by 10CC at the time. Followed by "I'm not in Love".
    Last edited by Gryzemuis; 2nd Nov 2020 at 07:53.

Despite the lack of any smileys I'll assume it's meant to be a joke that you're posting your own music genre specs to prove "Hippie music" exists as a genre.
    I didn't post 10cc as an example of hippie music. Even if that genre existed the song came much later. It's pop-reggae, I guess.

LittleFlower
    You can all assume I'm pretty stupid, that's fine. I'm just not a complete idiot.
    And I've always been bad at Poe's Law.

I used to insert a lot of smileys in my post (in emails too). But that really makes me look like a complete idiot. (Which, again, I am not. ) So these days I try to insert as few emoticons as possible. I guess that doesn't work either.

Do Cheech and Chong sing hippie music ? :hippie: <--- insert hippie Smiley here

Level 10,000 achieved

You know what I'm learning today?

The B-52's 1992-album "Good Stuff" is indeed GOOD STUFF!

It might not have any of their big hits, but it's a lot more consistent than their earlier albums.

The title track is the soundtrack to the world's goofiest orgy.

LittleFlower
    I grew up around the time that "The B-52's" (1979), "Wild Planet" (1980) and "Mesopotamia" (1982) were released. But nowadays, I must admit that I actually like "Whammy!" (1983) best of all their albums.

"The Good Stuff" was released in 1992. In 1985 their guitar-player died (Ricky Wilson). That had a huge impact on the band. They stopped playing and releasing records for a while. I find the songs on "The Good Stuff" more poppy, and a little less entertaining than their earlier stuff. So you should check out "Whammy!". You might like it even better than "The Good Stuff".

Level 10,000 achieved
    When I've tried to getting into their stuff in the past, beyond just the hits, I've tried listening to their debut, but it hasn't really grabbed me. I was listening to a "best of" playlist today and gravitated towards the Good Stuff songs, but I also really liked "Whammy Kiss", so yeah I think I'll give that album a listen next.

I only ever got into Rock Lobster. I used to think that narwhals were made up as a skit for the song, and then blew my mind when I finally saw the skeleton of one in a museum. How does that even happen?

A cover of a Norwegian sheep herding song, as you do.

Never heard of a Narwhal cane? Sadly the way they are hunted traditionally by Eskimo causes four of five to sink as a waste on the ocean floor. As beautiful as they are I would never own one for that reason. Mentioned by famous authors like Melville and Steinbeck. I collect canes. They often go with my hat collection... which often go with my grandchildren imagining hilarious scenarios. Anyway, I lusted after one till I just could not reconcile it with my conscience.

I love the B 52's. Is the lead singer guy gay? I never can tell but like to think so because it somehow makes the songs more fun. Can you tell I'm drunk? I think I'm hiding it well but can you? Is it just the lots of questions thing that gives me away? I just cannot stand the tension of this election.

Anyway this is an old song from when I was a kid which bookends my life and you likely won't like but is lullingly sentimental to me. I like catching an oldies station play something I've forgotten though it happens so seldom now.

Last edited by Tocky; 4th Nov 2020 at 23:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    I like catching an oldies station play something I've forgotten though it happens so seldom now.
    Radio Zodiac from Dublin is my favourite station. They play what you would expect in an Irish pub. Lots of 60s but also the good stuff from later decades up to the 90s. Say hello to Joey from Speedy Taxis!

This seems to be the song of the hour.
    Democracy is Coming to the USA.

Sail on, sail on
    O mighty Ship of State
    To the Shores of Need
    Past the Reefs of Greed
    Through the Squalls of Hate
    Sail on, sail on, sail on, sail on
    It's coming to America first
    The cradle of the best and of the worst
    It's here they got the range
    And the machinery for change
    And it's here they got the spiritual thirst
    It's here the family's broken
    And it's here the lonely say
    That the heart has got to open
    In a fundamental way
    Democracy is coming to the USA
    Sail on, sail on
    I'm sentimental, if you know what I mean
    I love the country but I can't stand the scene
    And I'm neither left or right
    I'm just staying home tonight
    Getting lost in that hopeless little screen
    But I'm stubborn as those garbage bags
    That Time cannot decay
    I'm junk but I'm still holding up
    This little wild bouquet
    Democracy is coming to the USA
    Last edited by demagogue; 5th Nov 2020 at 19:37.

It's coming to "America First!"

Dragon ships are charging through the waves...

Darkwood OST - Last Hideout

Last edited by Karras35; 9th Nov 2020 at 10:12.

The 10yo girls in the apartment below me are screaming the St. Martin song at the top of their little lungs. That's the song I'm listening to while trying code a newspaper layout.

Heard this on the Tonight Show and like it. I like the way she paints the story and I like the story she paints.

BANNED
    Well I'm into Gunship, innit? As I've mentioned in the vaporwave thread.

This is a choir arrangement of a Gunship track. I think it's ace.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    You guys seem to conflate all music from the 60s that you dislike with "hippie music"
    Wat?

I love "hippy music", if by that you mean The Doors, Hendrix, etc.

That remark was directed at Gryzemuis and howeird who had discussed hippy music right before that.

SShock2.com

Supporting a local artist I've never heard of nor met. His waxed moustache is pissing me off. I'm growing to like the song, but the main point for me is the video. It was shot quite literally around the corner, I walk past Battlefield Rest about three times a day, and Snuff Mill Bridge three times a week.

[Edit]

Linking problems on this terrible tablet interface.
    Last edited by Gray; 15th Nov 2020 at 01:46.

Page 151 of 161 FirstFirst ... 51101106111116121126131136141146147148149150151152153154155156 ... LastLast