TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Current song you are listening to(or the Last song you listened to)

Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    I get "Access Denied" on this server.

Let's Have a Party

I bought this in 1960. Still have it. Bigger hit in UK than US. You wouldn't think this lady could make so much noise.
    Please dont literally have a party. Im just remembering pre covid. Perhaps you could jump up and down to the music.

(Sometimes even I have difficulty knowing when Im serious and when Im joking. Last night I heard that an old friend, fit and healthy, who I first met in 1949, died from the virus after 3 weeks in hospital. John Donne comes to mind, therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls).
    Last edited by Aged Raver; 30th Jan 2021 at 05:13.

I'll get around to finding the English translation to this as soon as I've finished spending the rest of the day listening to it on repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    The Thermals - I don't believe you

featuring Carrie Brownstein (Sleater Kinney) and in the final twist Isaac Brock (Modest Mouse)
    I so hope they will re-unite, they were the best rock band of the naughts and Hutch Harris is the sexiest man alive. Like a Rock'n'Roll Sheldon Cooper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aged Raver View Post
    I get "Access Denied" on this server.
    Thanks, I fixed it. I'm sorry about your friend. Here's to parties.

The album I, Jonathan (1992) from which this song is taken is a great entry point into his music. In 2020 it was released on vinyl for the first time.

LittleFlower
    The synthesizer-thread mentioned Alessandro Cortini. He also has a project under another name: Sonoio. This is the track I like best. It's from 2011, but for me it was the track of the year in 2019.

This is worth it for the 30 seconds intro alone, in which Annie Lennox plays a neurotic housewife, on the verge of exploding. She's going to increasingly lose it as the track continues, while a little girl wreaks havoc on the neat household, symbolizing her repressed feelings. This however is only the start of video album directed by Sophie Muller, covering all tracks from Savage (1987), in which Lennox dives into the madonna/whore-complex, celebrates girlhood (Wide eyed girl), but mainly it's about failing and failed relationships (most poignantly in the title track Savage). Its dark, and I like the sharpness of its blade, Lennox said of the album upon its release.

https://www.stevepafford.com/30-year...thmics-savage/

I enjoyed Susumu Hirasawa Venus. Very nice! and I found The Thermals - I Don't Believe You which made me laugh (another woman, like Annie Lennox, getting her flat destroyed) and liked Parties in the U.S.A.. Instrumentation and recording of Jonathan Richman's album reminded me of early home-made white rock and roll, and 1950s skiffle. Quite a lot of acoustic strumming.

/.......... Slightly off topic .............
    @Gryzemuis I know nothing of synthesizers but Ive been following Martin Molin for a while. (You may already know of him or not be interested in which case, apologies). Hes a multi-instrumentalist who's building not a synthesizer but a marble machine to play instruments. In the process he taught himself engineering.
    He gets criticised by real engineers but as an average DIY person myself I find it very informative and I love people with enthusiasm, energy and self belief. He normally uploads a video every few weeks to give a progress report on the latest development of the machine, sometimes with music so a new video should be up soon. I've just remembered another reason why I'm intrigued. As a boy I made several marble machines myself, out of cardboard.
    ................................................/

LittleFlower
    I don't know why you mentioned this to me, Raver. I just posted the Sonoio track here, because Cortini was mentioned in another thread on this forum. I like music, but I'm not a musician. I once tried to learn to play the sax, but I stopped after 5 lessons. Making music is not for me. I'm also not a DIY guy, or anything resembling an engineer. The opposite actually, everything I like is stuff you can't touch. Stuff that is not real. Films, books, stories, ideas, music, algorithms, chess, etc.

But I like the Marble Machine! Thanks for posting the link. That Martin Molin is awesome. It's a crazy idea. I would maybe find the idea of thinking about such a machine fun and interesting. But I would never ever try to make one myself. But he did! And he is now even trying to perfect it. Crazy. Awesome.

HaHa. My apologies. Ive never visited the synthesizer-thread so thought it was an interest of yours. Somewhere in Martin Molins studio (earlier videos show him building it) is his command desk with a keyboard that slides out which I thought might control a synthesizer plus many other things. I normally only frequent the Thief Fan Missions Thread but with lockdown I recently ventured in here.

The Hair of the Widow of Bridlington

Small and bonny at forty-two,
    With eyes of very unsettling blue,
    And what she thought she ought to do
    She did, she did, she did

A song about defiance and living life your own way by the late Jake Thackray

^ That was a good song. I've never heard Jake Thackray before.

His songs usually tell a story. As you may have seen, loads of his stuff is on YouTube. I first saw him on British TV in the 1970s and bought 2 of his LPs. I was going to post On Again! On Again! but times change. He himself described the song as offensive (sexist in today's language) although women thought it hilarious. I still remember a lady friend doubling over in hysterics at the first line. (The word Bum can mean different things in different countries. In the song it means Buttocks). At least two videos, studio and live, are on YouTube.

Holy shit, I had no idea The Bats are still making music.
    In my mind, they've always been an '80s band.
    They still sound good too.

Alex Gaudino mashup of Crystal waters and Rune. Destination Calabria https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE0unyetlBw
    Last edited by lordhern; 4th Feb 2021 at 02:39. Reason: munged url

Youtube is trying to probe for weaknesses by recommending me cheesy Belgian synth pop.

now i'm listening to some Tomoyasu Hotei - Battle without honor or humanity I don't have a URL handy but i'm sure you can find it on youtube - (I prefer the live versions over the kill bill soundtrack)

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Holy shit, I had no idea The Bats are still making music.
    In my mind, they've always been an '80s band.
    They still sound good too.
    Better than ever even.

The vaguely Celtish sounding tunes earlier reminded me of this one which is a staple of Celtic fest held in Jackson, Mississippi each year. Usually it's sung in the evening after a day of drinking and with much audience participation and accompanied by fiddle but this was as close as I could find to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aged Raver View Post
    I've played this several times this week online, although I still have the LP. There are several YouTube videos but I chose this one as it includes Jack Nicholson on pillion. Allegedly the first heavy metal song, due to the lyric "heavy metal thunder".

I like smoke and lightning
    Heavy metal thunder
    Racing with the wind
    And the feeling that I'm under.

Sometime in the early nineties I danced with my daughter to this at the fourth of July celebration in Ballard park, Tupelo, about four feet from Steppenwolf. They were under a small open on three sides tent just wailing away. No security. Nothing. There was a small crowd in front of them but most folks weren't even paying attention to them. It was kind of surreal.

Today I'm appreciating that time Thom Yorke was fiddling with a modular while he was fiddling on a piano, and he's one of the few mainstream (if he can be called mainstream) artists that have embraced the chaotic, random, generative side of modular synths to really capture an emotion in the moment, cf. how they contributed to the dreamy disorienting feeling of imbalance in Daydreaming.

Grdh geal mo chridh' - Iseabail NicAsgail

I liked The Bats "Another Door". Is that New Zealand in the video? I always fancied moving there. Too late now. The Scotsman reminded me of Donald Wheres Your Troosers?. I was going to post something else but after seeing that, change of plan. Visiting the Hebrides years ago we never got to the Isle of Lewis but theres a lady from Point who always makes me cry, the late IseaBail NicAsgail (Ishbel MacAskill). Its in Scottish Gaelic. My hearing isnt quite so good these days and I dont hear the ladies in the chorus so clearly but I know theyre there.
    "Bheir mi hu h
    Bheir mi hu h
    Bheir mi hu h
    'S mi fo bhrn 's tu gam dhth

Talk to Me of Mendocino

A song by French-Canadian Kate McGarrigle who died in 2010, performed in 2012 by her children and her sister. Shed sung it with all three many times and wrote it before the children were born. Neither child, especially Martha, could normally be described as restrained while singing but she and her brother are anchored, and Martha folds her arms as though to control emotion. Stops me in my tracks.

Let the sun set on the ocean
    I will watch it from the shore
    Let the sun rise over the redwoods
    I'll rise with it
    till I rise no more.

I dug up a guilty pleasure from like a single week in 2007. Love the groove, but I'm concerned about the air quality if it's making their rain silver.

I always need reminding how good Wipers are. I don't really listen to much rock anymore.

The song is part of the Ray Cat Solution, an idea from 1981 to warn future generations about nuclear waste.

Marcus Miller

Thank you for Marcus Miller. Id never heard of him but I played several videos, interviews, and his very insightful analysis of Kind of Blue (Miles Davis/Coltrane/Cannonball Adderley). In the past I occasionally listened to Humphrey Lyttelton talk about these people but this is the first time I understood. Excellent. When you're about to follow another musician's brilliant improvisations and he's done it all. There's nothing left ...
    Help. What am I gonna do?
    Stop thinking.
    Somethings gonna happen.

Barb Jungr Ill be your baby tonight

I first saw this lady some years back. She was mesmeric and dominated the room with chanteuse versions of Dylan songs emphasising different words so you felt you were hearing the songs for the first time. She had incredible presence and would survey the whole audience (seated at small tables) aware of every person. Singing Don't Think Twice, It's All Right she almost spat You just kinda wasted my precious time. We were metres from her (similar to Tocky with Steppenwolf) at a small table in front of the stage and I was transfixed. Hardly dared breathe. Just her and a very good pianist on upright piano. The last time I saw her shed gone too much show-biz cabaret for my liking but this is from 2004.

Kick your shoes off, Do not fear
    Bring that bottle, Over here

Page 156 of 160 FirstFirst ... 56106111116121126131136141146151152153154155156157158159160 LastLast