TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 160 of 160 FirstFirst ... 60110115120125130135140145150155156157158159160
Results 3,976 to 3,995 of 3995

Thread: Current song you are listening to(or the Last song you listened to)

Someone left Beck's Midnite Vultures album lying around and I took it. So here's Sexx Laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    I never thought I'd be reduced to arguing about metal subgenres. Gotta resist!
    Yeah, I was just kidding (of course?) in my second post, poking fun at (more or less pointless) subgenre debates I've seen elsewhere. I haven't listened to enough Doom Metal to argue about it anyway (were I interested).

My first post was sincere, though, although incomplete. Instead of doing the proper research, adding the needed nuance, I decided to just throw it out there. I thought I could hear some ... similarities (knowing it probably wasn't enough for a label)!? A few of the tracks sounded unusually slow, and the use of a language other than English--especially a made up one--made me give my associations free reign. My mind runs off like that sometimes.

Edit:
    I'm listening more to xx Xx now. More in the mood today.
    Last edited by qolelis; 2nd Apr 2021 at 05:29.

How about some new Pretty Reckless? Someone nailed it when they said this sounds like it should be the intro to a Netflix series. Of course it would have to be a badass wicked one.

Thing What Kicks
    I gave The Pretty Reckless album a listen recently after Rick Beato mentioned them. Pretty good, but not outstanding. A couple of great tracks, but overall quite underwhelming.
    Interestingly, I'm guessing some of the band have a background in Country.

I've been on a Wildhearts kick recently. Most of my music listening is done while running or commuting.

The Wildhearts have been one of my favourite bands since "Earth Vs.", and they've remained pretty consistently great for almost 30 years now.
    Highlights from their career that have stuck in my ear recently have been:

Inglourious:

TV Tan:

I Wanna Go Where The People Go:

Dislocated (CJ's lockdown playthrough vid):

Road to Cairo

Bought this in 1968 and still have the LP with that broken glass cover. I never thought about it before but, leaving aside the possibility that someone fired a bullet through his window, I guess its a broken mirror implying reflection through his songs. This first track, soon covered by others, I guess is about choice and things not done. I love how the band complement the lyric. Relentless. I always feel I know every note from the moody start to the fade-out but having just seen the lyrics online it seems Ive been singing some of the words wrong for several decades, so dont hold me to that.

Personnel alphabetically:

• David Ackles piano, vocals
    • Michael Fonfara organ
    • Douglas Hastings guitar
    • John Keliehor percussion
    • Jerry Penrod bass guitar
    • Danny Weis guitar

A fella told me
    This here road leads to Cairo
    I've got to get me a ride
    I've got to go back
    Go back to my children
    I got to see my little bride

Ae Fond Kiss (and then we sever, ae fareweel alas forever)

Over the months Ive been listening to Transatlantic Sessions (20 hours) and played this particular song many times (written by Rabbie Burns in 1791).

Personnel:
    Karen Matheson vocals (from Scotland)
    Paul Brady vocals (from Ireland)
    Donald Shaw - piano (from Scotland, Karens husband)
    Aly Bain fiddle (from Shetland)
    Jerry Douglas - dobro guitar (from USA)

Had we never loved sae kindly
    Had we never loved sae blindly
    Never met or never parted
    We had ne'er been broken-heart-ed ...

from Transatlantic Sessions series 2 (1998) - Lyrics
    If youre a fan of Celtic, Scottish or Irish Gaelic, bluegrass, country, Cajun, French/Canadian, with a touch of Rabbie Burns, Stephen Foster, contemporary folk, pipes, reels and jigs then most of the six series are here (comprising 38 half-hour programmes, co-directed by Aly and Jerry). Background reading of the sessions.
    There are 2 bonus videos on YouTube but both are out of sync so I have not referenced.

Pre-dating the above Aly Bain made The Shetland Sessions, which I havent seen or heard (2 albums).

SShock2.com

Only tonight did I discover that Front 242 have released old live recordings on Spotify, circa 1987-1991. I was quite surprised at how much better those versions were than were on my live albums, or indeed, perhaps even the studio albums. Some even had extra lyrics, whole verses and intros, sometimes even actual singing, gold dust for a music nerd like me. Unfortunately, I could not yet find any of these old new live versions on YouTube so this will have to suffice as a placeholder video, symbolic of much unlinkable greatness. Sorry.

Such a shame I can not link that awesome 1987 version of Quite Unusual, it has a whole extra intro that changes the entire feel of the song.
    Boing. Peng. Boom-Tschak. Peng.

System Shock 2 Walkthrough

SShock2.com

Oil in the Eye!

And for no other reason than that this is an awesome song I was recently reminded of, everybody should get some more Oil In The Eye. You can thank me later.

[Edit]

Sorry, I'm on a roll now. Must have some Lassigue Bendthaus. Makes Kraftwerk sound organic.

Last edited by Gray; 10th Apr 2021 at 18:02.
    Boing. Peng. Boom-Tschak. Peng.

System Shock 2 Walkthrough

Thing What Kicks
    @qolelis:
    Huh, didn't expect to see DJ Scotch Egg here!
    I used to work with a guy who knew him. The London music scene he's part of is quite small and everyone seems to know everyone, with a lot of people flowing between bands.
    Hey Colossus, Gum Takes Tooth, Bad Guys, Shit and Shine, those guys are all part of the same scene, although often playing wildly different music.

My friend from work is the guy behind Drumcunt.

He was a terror in the office, who would lull us in to a false sense of security with a relatively normal playlist, then leave having queued up some combination of white noise, static and feedback.

SShock2.com

Trent Reznor just won a Bafta for Best Soundtrack to the Pixar movie Soul. While I'm pleased for him, I'm also confused. I've listened to NIN for ages, and this feels... strange.

[Edit]

I'm genuinely shocked, it felt so surreal, switching on BBC and they're talking about Trent Reznor, my first instinct was "what, has he died of a drug overdose?" But no. He made music for a kids' movie and won an award. Clearly, I've not been paying attention for the last couple of years, perhaps he's done more of this stuff and I never noticed. I was somewhat surprised when Mark Mothersbaugh started doing TV themes, or when They Might Be Giants did the Mickey Mouse Club House theme, but Nine Inch Nails doing a kids movie...? I did NOT see that coming. Then again, I didn't see Pharrell doing that either, until it happened.

[Edit again]

The closest similar thing I can think of was the sheer surprise when I discovered that, after watching about 2-3 seasons of Archer, the jazzy theme song was written by Jim Thirlwell. That got me properly confused as well. Don't get me wrong, I like that people can change and do different things, it's more that I didn't expect any of that. Says more about me than about them as artists. I just did not expect the man famous for shouting "I wanna f*** you like an animal!" would do a Disney/Pixar movie. Shows how little I know.
    Last edited by Gray; 12th Apr 2021 at 10:52.

He did the soundtrack for Mank, about the writer of Citizen Kane, which is very 1930s classic Hollywood ... big band, over-dramatization, tension strings, wind instrument curiosities, brass triumphs, swelling resolutions, etc, kind of camp by today's standards.

This is who he is now. Not 1930s classic Hollywood, per se, but a musical chameleon that fits whatever soundtrack he's making.

Went down the YT rabbit hole and found out there's a channel called NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert - and also a three-piece band called Khruangbin. Man they tight.

Yeah, Tiny Desk concerts were great back then, before the plague. Lots of great bands played there.
    NPR still creates them but now in in various places, which is fine, although I liked the focus on the music that the original TD provided.

There's also the similar Live on KEXP.

Listened to this album, "I've forgotten now who I used to be" by "Witch Camp Ghana", which is basically a collection of field recordings of women condemned as witches and forced to live in exile in camps in Ghana, singing about their lives and what has happened to them. Track titles include "Abandoned (Forced Into A Life Of Prostitution)" and "I Trusted My Family, They Betrayed Me", so it's not exactly cheery subject matter but somehow making music out of their situation is a triumph in itself and the record gives a voice to these marginalised and exiled women.

Hmmmm bassoferrol likes bridesmaids.

Anyway saw Blackberry Smoke and The North Mississippi Allstars in concert yesterday. Socially distant was great. Nobody breathing down your neck. BS only played one of my favs though.

Page 160 of 160 FirstFirst ... 60110115120125130135140145150155156157158159160