TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 171 of 171 FirstFirst ... 71121126131136141146151156161166167168169170171
Results 4,251 to 4,266 of 4266

Thread: Current song you are listening to(or the Last song you listened to)

Sometimes I like to hear nothing but sixties music. It reminds me of being a kid. I just saw my childhood friend Lee Cobb for the last time. Heart attack. The preacher told some amusing Lee stories and mentioned a thing I had taken for granted so fully I didn't realize he did it but he often referred to himself in third person with things like, "I know what Lee would do" or "I'll tell you what Lee thinks". He was a simple and good guy and that goodness just poured out of him. I remember the last time we talked and he was no different than when we were kids, big smile, happy to see you, could talk fishing for days. He caught some unbelievably big fish. Sometimes by hand, something we called grabbling.

I spent the night at his house a lot as a kid. We played army men with over a thousand and all sorts of plastic artillery and tanks. Elaborate battles on mud hillsides. We fished, swam, explored, hunted, he was a born outdoorsman. I had my first fried peach pie at his grandmothers and it was one of the best things I've ever eaten. We also worked. We built barbed wire fences when it was cedar post, post hole diggers, U nails, tack hammer pulling the wire the hard way. We picked corn, tore down houses and stacked the lumber, baled hay, and enjoyed it all.

I told his wife about the time one night we went frog gigging and you spot their eyes glowing yellow near the banks so you paddle over to them and spear them with this trident and take the legs to flour and toss in a skillet to jump their last in grease. This time every set of eyes we investigated were snakes. And there were lots of sets of eyes. And worse, they were starting to come to our boat and the head lamps we had were fading from poor battery power. "Well I'll tell you what Lee thinks... Lee thinks we should get the hell out of here". I don't know if she appreciated my telling that story at his casket but she acted as if she did. I don't know how to comfort anyone so I just told her I will never forget him and hugged her and that is true.

Anyway here is a song from back in that time-

A time when more people were in touch with the real, as apposed to their own neuroticism.

Similar to you, I grew up as a child in the 70's...and am quite attuned to the natural outdoor activities that nourished my soul.

I feel that most will never understand the specialness of that time, like when I gazed upon a canopy of stars.

w

It was a happy time. Few worries. I think each decade has a feel to it but maybe it's just whatever age you are determines how you feel during it. It sure felt golden though.

Anyway I'm not one to think there's no good music anymore or who got stuck with the music of those days. Lot's of good stuff these days too. Here are The Hives doing it again. I hate they cancelled their concert in my home town of Oxford recently. I understand though.

Given what I was talking about maybe this would have been a better choice.

And then again....

I'm forever blowing bubbles

This one's for Fett...

Who’s That Lady - The J

I was looking for the Isley Brothers' “Who’s That Lady” and came across this. A different song, different group, The J, or is that just one guy, Jason Hauptman? Very stylish.

SShock2.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    Now THAT is a song I have strongly mixed feelings about. On one hand, I'm mildly proud it so well in the US, on the other I'm a little bit embarrassed over its cheesiness. But over all, the strongest feeling is of amusement, because the lead singer, Björn Skifs, was a singer, actor and entertainer, and in Sweden was mostly known as a comedian when I grew up. It just seemed so implausible that this silly little man had once been a really big international pop star, if only briefly. But it happened.

SShock2.com

This week, I've been in a mood for Covenant. From their cheesiest electro-pop to their noisiest unlistenable industrial. I don't know exactly what triggered this, maybe I just needed a bit of distortion and angry shouting. This is, however, one of their sweetest songs, and if you know anything about me at all, it would be fairly obvious why this particular song stuck with me, so I'll post that instead of all the other 300 awesome songs they made.

I am longing for all the things I'll never get
    I am longing for all the things I had and lost
    I am longing for innocence and simple dreams
    I am longing for ignorance and bliss

[Edit]

I remember now why I started listening to them again. I was watching a quiz show and the answer was the city they're from. Phew! I may be senile, but not THAT senile. Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    It was a happy time. Few worries. I think each decade has a feel to it but maybe it's just whatever age you are determines how you feel during it. It sure felt golden though.
    It felt golden, due to the fact that it was more pure and less corrupted.

We must stand for what is right, and allow the natural beauty of the world to express itself.

Just like happy little bluebirds that fly beyond the rainbow...

Last edited by Vae; 15th Jan 2022 at 10:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    ... happy little bluebirds ...
    Ah.
    One of my Mother’s favourite songs pre-war before joining the WRAF and meeting my Dad.

Funny thing memory. As a nipper, post-war, I remember Mum had various mixing bowls for making cakes, so the word bowl was in my vocabulary (as was cake). And on the radio there were songs like “If I knew you were coming I’d have baked a cake”.
    Few of us had telephones, or cars, and the title of the song became a popular joke-greeting when unexpected visitors arrived at the door.

Buttons and Bowls” was another catchy song from America and although I wasn't familiar with different accents, the title wasn’t a problem and I happily joined in the chorus. Recently I went searching online but sadly it was nowhere to be found. Although I came across something similar (in fact it sounds exactly the same) called “Buttons and Bows”. (Dinah Shore - 1948)

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    It felt golden, due to the fact that it was more pure and less corrupted.
    Ah yes, the pure less corrupted world of the 70s.

Take a look around ya, boy...

Quote Originally Posted by Aged Raver View Post

Funny thing memory. As a nipper, post-war, I remember Mum had various mixing bowls for making cakes, so the word bowl was in my vocabulary (as was cake). And on the radio there were songs like “If I knew you were coming I’d have baked a cake”.
    Few of us had telephones, or cars, and the title of the song became a popular joke-greeting when unexpected visitors arrived at the door.
    Well I'll be damned. I did not know there was a song connected to that saying. I had heard it from my relatives as a kid but never heard the song. It makes me wonder what other things they said that may have been connected to songs.

And yeah, no age is pure and uncorrupted. There is a golden time when WE are though. I mean, we had the Vietnam war hanging over us like a guillotine but damn we were young and happy. The music was too... mostly. I guess we didn't focus so much on the fact we were going to get our legs blown off in a few years. Our parents were making our childhoods happy while they could. I wonder do kids today think of the right wing zealots pushing for a religious/race/civil war or that Russia is becoming expansionist again while helping push for one on social media. I wonder do any in congress for that matter.

We really are insane as a species.

Oh well, there's something to be said for grabbing what happy you can while you can.

Last edited by Tocky; 16th Jan 2022 at 00:00. Reason: damn r and t being so close

Btw, Covenant - Ignorance & Bliss, that is... pretty cool. I like it.
    I'm forever blowing bubbles

Quote Originally Posted by hard thief kyd View Post
    Btw, Covenant - Ignorance & Bliss, that is... pretty cool. I like it.
    Yeah I've listened to it several times. Every time I come back to this page. It's gotten me to listen to their other stuff. A good one.

Here is one that's a good starting over song.

Page 171 of 171 FirstFirst ... 71121126131136141146151156161166167168169170171