TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 34 of 146 FirstFirst ... 491419242930313233343536373839444954596469747984134 ... LastLast

Thread: Current song you are listening to(or the Last song you listened to)

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    I've just finished exams, which means I've been listening to a ton of GSYBE over the past three weeks. I only just got my hands on this and tiny silver hammers recently, but I still don't think anything will ever top Lift Your Skinny Fists for the complexity of texture and tone it manages create.

Lift Your Fists has that utterly captivating build, but I find it especially dense and that without something else to focus on (almost entirely) it's way too much for any sort of casual listening.

For that reason I prefer f#a#∞.

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    Great song, and you raise a very interesting point: the relationship between Manhunter and Silence of the Lambs is intriguing as the books are essentially the same plot but they nailed the plight of the protagonists so well in the latter by having Clarice have no past with Lector as opposed to with Graham and their very storied past. Almost to the point I'm not so sure if you're entirely right in calling Hopkins a scene-chewer since I imagine Cox is perfectly capable of being that coy and playful manipulator that Hopkins is.

Anyway, I love both movies and both incarnations of Lector (Lektor lol) but I think the history of the protagonists and the nature of Lector's involvement is what changes the personality of Lector.
    I don't think it's the change of characters as much as Demme opting to go for something gothic and overwrought, compared to Mann's cold and clinical approach. Hopkins is a lot more of pantomime villain, complete with smacking his lips when talking about the liver and nice chianti. Which isn't intirely wrong for Demme's approach, but if Foster wasn't there to sell being scared of his shenanigans really well he wouldn't be scary at all.

Anyway, reliving last night's Faith No More gig with This Guy's In Love With You itc.

is Best Pony
    Finally caved and downloaded Lift Your Skinny Fists from eMusic.

I've been on a lamb of god bender for the past week, and god dammit I can't stop listening to this song.

Schau in Mein Herz by Megaherz
    They're a pretty awesome Industrial metal band and so much better than Rammstein IMO(they're just too weird for my tastes)
    On a side note this thread of mine has reached 830 replies,wooo!
    Last edited by Andarthiel; 7th Jul 2009 at 01:43.

Permanently Enlarged

Taking the Death Toll
    I keep alternating between this guy, this guy, and these guys.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Listening to the new free mixtape from Sage Francis and reading Beck's interview with Tom Waits while drinking coffee out of my "ironic" Queen Elizabeth II 1977 Silver Jubilee coffe-mug and posting about it on the internet. Doing my part in keeping the hipster douchebag spirit alive in other words. whatev nubs

Ram Jam's 'Black Betty'

Bambalam, bitches!

haha, that's currently in my rotation as well due to it being used during a Fourth of July fireworks show I caught.

!!! - Me and Giuliani Down by the School Yard (A True Story)

Caught them live at the local rock festival. Vocalist Nic Offer's mildly annoying, but they were still pretty damn danceable.

Sonnet. A mashup of some Lady Gaga song. This woman's voice has got me mesmerized.

She's also got a cute song they play in Utah for an amusement park we have here. Click here and agree to terms to hear nice melody.

Quote Originally Posted by Morte View Post
    !!! - Me and Giuliani Down by the School Yard (A True Story)

Caught them live at the local rock festival. Vocalist Nic Offer's mildly annoying, but they were still pretty damn danceable.
    Pretty jealous, have been meaning to try and catch !!! live for a while, their self titled EP is worth tracking down purely for a track called Intensify.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch
    I've been listening to the fantastic new Future of the Left album, as well as Sunset Rubdown's Dragonslayer (I'm a bit gay for the Wolf Parade family tree).

I also am finding the new Mars Volta to be surprisingly listenable. It's a bit one-note, but the songs are there, at least more than they have been for awhile.
    I'm loving this sunset rubdown album, and I'm not really sure how I never really found out about them before. This has a lot of the warmth and buzz that I thought was missing a bit in At Mount Zoomer (still love "Kissing Your Beehives" though).

Everytime I listen to Octahedron I get very depressed, and go back and listen to Frances the Mute just to remind myself that I wasn't crazy and The Mars Volta did used to be a blindingly talented band once upon a time.

Best opening to a concert ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INMQBT-k77U

'Host of Seraphim' by 'Dead can dance'

Today was a good day for music listening, as I didn't do the usual NPR thing in the car.

Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Further Out (first thing this morning)
    Medeski, Martin, and Wood - End of the World Party (morning commute)
    Daft Punk - Discovery (afternoon commute)
    Umphrey's McGee - Mantis (current)

I recently drove 8 hours to Buffalo to see a killer show with MMW and Umphrey's co-headlining, so I've been playing them a lot. Also got that Daft Punk tune Something About Us stuck in my head, so I've played Discovery twice this week.

Anybody here into Infected Mushroom or jazz fusion?

Medeski Martin and Wood have released two new albums this year (Radiolarians I and II), and they're both excellent (the first in particular).

I used to be a huge fan of the band but their recent collaborations with John Scofield (and even End of the World Party, to a lesser extent) seemed formulaic and kinda boring.. Now they're back, and awesome again.

I'ts true i like jazz fusion but even I admit the best ofthe genre was really Bitches Brew and after that there isnt' too much but if you're really intersted check out LIVE EVIL and also In a Silent Way and Chick Corea's first Return to Forever album is pretty great.

piglick back me up on thisone
    Last edited by Aja; 11th Jul 2009 at 05:02. Reason: vote miles

I agree that End of the World Party sounds a bit stiff and formulaic. But when they play the same songs live, they're great. I've seen MMW twice, and hearing them live is a different experience. Billy Martin in particular blows me away.

So far, I've got mostly 70s fusion. I love Brand X. I like Al DiMeola, Bruford, Billy Cobham, Jean-Luc Ponty, Bitches Brew. Weather Report is OK. Mahavishnu Orchestra and Zappa - eh. Haven't heard Return to Forever.

I'm particularly interested in finding out if there are any bands still doing fusion today. MMW is about the closest I can think of.

I just got the 7-cd Time Life 'Guitar rock' set. Yea, I know. Sounds cheesy, but it isn't it starts with the late '60's and goes up to '79. So many great tunes, too many to list. I converted it to .mp3, and put the whole damn thing on my .mp3 player. I am up to like disc 3 or 4, and it is great. Perfect driving music!

Chris Vrenna, Clint Walsh - Doom 3 Main Theme
    YouTube Link

Starting Over by Killswitch Engage

Not much for screaming, but this one was actually pretty good.

Page 34 of 146 FirstFirst ... 491419242930313233343536373839444954596469747984134 ... LastLast