TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 35 of 149 FirstFirst ... 5101520253031323334353637383940455055606570758085135 ... LastLast

Thread: Current song you are listening to(or the Last song you listened to)

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    I agree that End of the World Party sounds a bit stiff and formulaic. But when they play the same songs live, they're great. I've seen MMW twice, and hearing them live is a different experience. Billy Martin in particular blows me away.

So far, I've got mostly 70s fusion. I love Brand X. I like Al DiMeola, Bruford, Billy Cobham, Jean-Luc Ponty, Bitches Brew. Weather Report is OK. Mahavishnu Orchestra and Zappa - eh. Haven't heard Return to Forever.

I'm particularly interested in finding out if there are any bands still doing fusion today. MMW is about the closest I can think of.
    I wouldn't lump Zappa in with Mahavishnu. Grand Wazoo, Waka Jawaka and Hot Rats are all brilliant examples of fusion, though he was experimenting with it even during the original Mothers period (see Weasels Ripped My Flesh, Burnt Weeny Sandwich and Uncle Meat, the latter of which is a masterpiece). It's just that he was never specifically jazz, or fusion, or anything, really. TTLG already knows how much I love the man.

About MMW, I did see them once a few years ago and they were excellent. I think the new Radiolarians albums capture the spirit of the live show—longer, more improvisational playing—much better than previous releases. I don't know of any other bands currently playing in this style, but honestly, I don't really want to. Apart from Medeski and co., I think fusion is probably best left as something to be reissued. You'd better check out Return to Forever (the first two albums, anyway).

Permanently Enlarged
    A little music vid I made in about 2 hours w/ MS Movie Maker featuring Dr. Who (David Tennant) and Everlong by the Foo Fighters. Seems YouTube didn't butcher my timing much at all, which is good.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qY32XjKV8aY&hl=it&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>

Only downside to MSWMM is that it doesn't do multiple abrupt transitions, so the video is a bit slower paced than I would've liked. Still, I think it's fairly good, given it's my first real attempt at making a music video.

Beastie Boys -B-Boy Bouillabaisse (Prt 1)

Beastie Boys -B-Boy Bouillabaisse (Prt 2 )

Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    I wouldn't lump Zappa in with Mahavishnu. Grand Wazoo, Waka Jawaka and Hot Rats are all brilliant examples of fusion, though he was experimenting with it even during the original Mothers period (see Weasels Ripped My Flesh, Burnt Weeny Sandwich and Uncle Meat, the latter of which is a masterpiece). It's just that he was never specifically jazz, or fusion, or anything, really. TTLG already knows how much I love the man.

About MMW, I did see them once a few years ago and they were excellent. I think the new Radiolarians albums capture the spirit of the live show—longer, more improvisational playing—much better than previous releases. I don't know of any other bands currently playing in this style, but honestly, I don't really want to. Apart from Medeski and co., I think fusion is probably best left as something to be reissued. You'd better check out Return to Forever (the first two albums, anyway).
    Thanks for the suggestions. I just ordered Radiolarians I & II. Based on the tunes I didn't recognize in their show a couple weeks ago, I'm expecting more of a trippy rock sound than the stuff I already have. I also ordered the first Return to Forever. I've heard a lot of Chick Corea over the years, some of it good, some of it not so good (e.g. w/ Bobby McFerrin), but never heard him do fusion.

Also, I didn't really mean to lump Zappa and Mahavishnu together. My problem with Mahavishnu is that I don't like McLaughlin's playing. I think he's one-dimensional (speed), not very inventive, and even though he has a great supporting cast, they always sound like it's the first time they've ever played together. I like Zappa's playing a lot better than McLaughlin's and I think he's more original and inventive. Also, his bands play tighter. But he has a tendency to be weird just for the sake of being weird - especially with his lyrics. I feel like he's trying too hard. I can't seem to stay into his music for a whole album.

Years later and I'm still a Shirley Manson fanboy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjgrADPB7q8

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    I also ordered the first Return to Forever. I've heard a lot of Chick Corea over the years, some of it good, some of it not so good (e.g. w/ Bobby McFerrin), but never heard him do fusion.
    Actually you probably have; he was one of the two keyboard players on Bitches Brew . But Return To Forever has more of a latin feel, while retaining some of the atmosphere that Miles pioneered and that caused most of his bandmates to go off and make inferior fusion of their own.

BTW, going back to Zappa. The tunes I've liked so far are off Hot Rats, One Size Fits All, and Apostrophe. All post-Mothers albums I believe. I guess you could call these more "accessible" than his earlier work. Any other suggestions along these lines?

Yes—you'd probably like Roxy and Elsewhere, Grand Wazoo, Waka Jawaka and possibly Overnite Sensation. Nearly everything before these is doowop/musique concrete inspired rock, and nearly everything afterward is probably going to make you uncomfortable, lyrically. Zappa was always angry but in the late 70s and 80s he became angrier, in a kind of scary way.

Oh, and if you like his guitar playing, he did release a few instrumental albums (Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar) consisting mostly of guitar solos recorded live.

Quote Originally Posted by jimjack View Post
    Years later and I'm still a Shirley Manson fanboy.
    I picked up Version 2.0 last week at a pawn shop for a buck. I've never owned it myself but my friends always did and we listened to it all the time. Good memories.

I just put in my order for the Neo Tokyo soundtrack.. can't wait!

I'm currently playing the first mission of 'The Lord Ashton Series' and listening to an online radio station, when on comes a really great song, (i've never heard most of the songs on this station) i look up the band (School Of Seven Bells) and then i learn that they named their band after the mythic South American pickpocet training academy.

Ironic, i think so, hilariously appropriate,

Permanently Enlarged

Just got the limited fucking edition of the new DevilDriver album, Pray for Villains. This is possibly the best fucking album to come out this year. Dez is a motherfucking GOD.

They really need a little, red, screaming post icon. That would be fucking sweet.

Beirut w. Owen Pallett - Cliquot

Soppy, I guess. But awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
    Beirut w. Owen Pallett - Cliquot

Soppy, I guess. But awesome.
    the thing about this one is that I prefer Zach Condon's voice (although it can get a little grating), it really jarred me hearing a different voice on just one track on the album. In fact, I think what I prefer is the consistency, I get awfully annoyed when he chews up his vowels but still, that for me is the sound of Beirut; Owen Pallett's relatively clean, higher voice doesn't quite say it to me.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Camille - Home is where it hurts (YouTube | Spotify)
    for fans of: Björk, Karin Dreijer

Suspended Time by Samael
    The lyrics of this song are just excellent and Vibeke's voice is angelic,hehe.
    If you like Death Metal and/or Industrial then you'll probably like Samael.
    Suspended Time-Samael

Johnny Cash - I heard that lonesome whistle blow
    (instrumental remix by Apparat)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi2oC_G9l_Q
    One of JC's vest tracks ever, and the remix is even better. :tup:

Level 10,000 achieved
    Is that from the Johnny Cash Remixed album? Did that ever get released? Heard lots of hype about it a year ago but ain't seen any reviews since.

Taking the Death Toll
    Johnny Cash is fucking grim. Nobody is allowed to say they like music and not like Johnny Cash.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Is that from the Johnny Cash Remixed album? Did that ever get released? Heard lots of hype about it a year ago but ain't seen any reviews since.
    Hmm, never heard about a ''remixed album'', I have to check this out.
    The link I posted is a remixed version - remixed by ''Apparat''. - Its free for download and as far as I know only an ''experiment''.
    Nobody is allowed to say they like music and not like Johnny Cash.
    + 1
    Johnny cash is the music.

NIN show here on the 24th, I started to prepare. Currently playing:

Nine Inch Nails - Just Like You Imagined

..which is pretty much my all time favorite NIN track.

Bomfunk Mc's - Freestyler

(Bomfunk aka. Bumfuck)

Level 10,000 achieved

Previously on "Last song what u listen to" thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Molock View Post
    freestyla!

rock-a-microphone!

The most bombastik song ever to come out of Finland.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Johnny Cash is fucking grim.
    hell yeah dethtoll!

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Nobody is allowed to say they like music and not like Johnny Cash.
    jesus shut the fuck up dethtoll

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
    Very awesome.

Page 35 of 149 FirstFirst ... 5101520253031323334353637383940455055606570758085135 ... LastLast