TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 39 of 149 FirstFirst ... 49141924293435363738394041424344495459646974798489139 ... LastLast

Thread: Current song you are listening to(or the Last song you listened to)

Taking the Death Toll
    Oh yes, that's very important.

Radiant Star by Samael
    These guys started off as a Black Metal band but their sound changed and they became more of an industrial metal band. This song is pretty cool although Solar Soul and Reign of Light are still my favorite albums by far.
    Don't like their old Black Metal stuff though, it's actually their newer albums that got me interested originally with their blend of Middle-Eastern and religious influences, metal and an industrial beat.

Taking the Death Toll
    Well if you like black metal bands turning into industrial you can't go wrong with ...And Oceans.

Their black metal stuff is really fucking boring, but with A.M.G.O.D. and Cypher they turned quite listenable.

Pity they only put out two albums like that, because after that they turned into this. I've had that album over a year and I'm still not sure what to make of it.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Here's a little story to bring a tear to you eye
    I was shopping for a wet suit to scuba dive
    But every suit I tried was to big around the thighs
    The assistant suggested I try a ladies size
    I got hurt feelings...

best song of FOTC season 2 yo.

also, the hilarious, Magnolia-riffing reprise

Quote Originally Posted by Abysmal View Post
    Looks like they finally got the full song up.

I'm enjoying their new style. United States of Eurasia took me a while to get into but I'm definitely liking it now. I'm not sure if their new album will top their older work, but I'll still enjoy it equally. And I'm always a fan of bands branching out.

Here's another piece that appears to be by Matt Bellamy, although how much he contributed is unclear: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSKMVyTzJ3Y

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Fucking awesome stuff.

Taking the Death Toll
    Shit. I forgot about that. I should order one before they're all gone.

Eric Brosius - The Dark Project - The haunted cathedral

Oh I love the part beginning at 4:50 (the keeper ''cove'') One of Brosius's best tracks ever.

Chakat sex pillow
    An ass-kicking metal orchestral C&C rearranged track with an even more ass-kicking name: Hell March to the Apocalypse.

This one's for you, dethtoll. While I don't normally listen to death metal, I don't mind this particular Doom-inspired track: Asphyxiated Soul. Decent overall musicianship, but the spoken-word passages can make your skin crawl.

What am I listening to?

Gunsmoke is on in the background, so lots of canned gunshots and horse hooves.

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    This one's for you, dethtoll. While I don't normally listen to death metal, I don't mind this particular Doom-inspired track: Asphyxiated Soul. Decent overall musicianship, but the spoken-word passages can make your skin crawl.
    This isn't death metal, but what it actually is I'm not sure of. If pressed, I would say some sort of doom metal. (yes I see the irony.) Probably blackened doom, thanks to the heavy parts.

Not sure what to make of it, actually. It reminds me of some band, but I don't remember what.

Chakat sex pillow
    There's a whole series of adjectives going on as well? Blackened doom? Man, I wouldn't want to be in a mosh with music of that sort of pedigree around me. Sounds like the wrong way to scrape your skin against the rusty blood-crusted edge of it all.

the adjectives are getting too specific—eventually it reaches the point where two bands are interchangeable because they're both in the micro-category of "slightly-blackened doomish grind-gloom-fuzz-symphonic screamcore"

Taking the Death Toll
    Blackened doom is basically a mix of black metal and doom metal. To be fair, doom as a subgenre is loaded with sub-subgenres, more than any other like black metal or death metal. Probably due to its age and the fact that it's rare for a band to really stay in one genre. There's a lot of overlap.

There are very few bands that play purely in the black/doom style. Death/doom has a lot of adherents, for comparison- Anathema, My Dying Bride and Paradise Lost saw to that, and it's a very popular sound. Black/doom not so much- probably the biggest band in that style is Forgotten Tomb, but I'd be hard pressed to name anybody else off the top of my head.

Also, I don't think a band exists that you could call "slightly-blackened doomish grind-gloom-fuzz-symphonic screamcore." Probably because grindcore and doom are pretty much polar opposites. Nice attempt at being clever, though.
    Last edited by june gloom; 6th Aug 2009 at 18:36.

my cleverness is limited only by a lack of knowledge of specific weird metal subgenres

Taking the Death Toll
    It's no weirder than the jazz nerds and their ten thousand subgenres and permutations. It's just a fuckin' genre man. If you don't know it that's cool, just don't act like whining about "too many subgenres" in a style of music you don't even listen to makes you a better person.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Well if you like black metal bands turning into industrial you can't go wrong with ...And Oceans.

Their black metal stuff is really fucking boring, but with A.M.G.O.D. and Cypher they turned quite listenable.

Pity they only put out two albums like that, because after that they turned into this. I've had that album over a year and I'm still not sure what to make of it.
    Sounds interesting I'll check it out.

Now I'm listening to:
    Death Before the Mast - Alestorm

Yarrr, Matey!
    Pirate Metal at it's finest.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    It's no weirder than the jazz nerds and their ten thousand subgenres and permutations.
    Subgenres aren't stupid, but sub-sub-genres are, jazz, metal or otherwise. It just seems useless to categorize your music to the point that the categories are being filled only to single-digits. There's also this thing called "band names" that accomplishes pretty much the same task. It's like when I read Ishkur and he's trying to distinguish between "illbient" and "acid jazz" - what the fuck good is that to ANYONE except maybe the morons who think they'll only enjoy one ultra-specific type of music and no others (although Ishkur is satirical, people tend to take it seriously anyway).

Doom metal is one thing, blackened-doom metal is a fucking joke.

Blackened chicken sandwiches, on the other hand, are delicious!

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    Subgenres aren't stupid, but sub-sub-genres are, jazz, metal or otherwise. It just seems useless to categorize your music to the point that the categories are being filled only to single-digits. There's also this thing called "band names" that accomplishes pretty much the same task. It's like when I read Ishkur and he's trying to distinguish between "illbient" and "acid jazz" - what the fuck good is that to ANYONE except maybe the morons who think they'll only enjoy one ultra-specific type of music and no others (although Ishkur is satirical, people tend to take it seriously anyway).

Doom metal is one thing, blackened-doom metal is a fucking joke.
    Except blackened doom metal is simply a mixture of two subgenres, same as death/doom. It's nothing obscure or incomprehensible. Shut the fuck up.

actually my example was bad -- illbient and acid jazz are actually quite different.

I should've said eurodance vs eurobeat. Yes technically there is a difference but when your musical preferences can actually be defined along the lines of something as ridiculous as "well this one is generally played at 118bpm while this other is strictly 145" you aren't so much into music as you are self delusion.

I realize that your doom/blackdoom/whatever comparison isn't that drastic but it's uncomfortably close. Compartmentalizing genres to such an intense degree is obsessive-compulsive and counterproductive. What on earth would you do if a sludge-stoner band used an orchestra on a couple tracks? Add an extra adjective?

Taking the Death Toll
    No, I'd keep calling it a sludge-stoner band.

Keep trying, you're getting closer to having a point.

Ok, apart from sounding stupid, here's the real problem (and what's really bothering me, I think): categorization at this level is stifling to innovation. It causes bands to think in limited musical terms, and the more it gets invoked the more bands are going to unconsciously conform to fit a particular category. A system that assigns labels this deep is only useful in making recommendations to absurdly fickle friends.

Taking the Death Toll
    Annnd wrong again! Very few bands- especially in metal and rock- ever stay inside genre lines. Why do you think labels like death/doom and black/doom exist? Because they're two separate arch-subgenres (such as death metal and doom metal, and no they are not the same thing) mixed together. Why does metal have so many subgenres and labels? Because many of them are fusion subgenres, and several are "evolutions" of previous subgenres, for example funeral doom was effectively a further refining of the style of death/doom, rising up as the latter sagged in popularity when many of the bands that played in that style moved towards a more radio-friendly sound.

You're also sorely underestimating just how many metal bands there are. Sure, there's at least a couple subgenres with only 3 or 4 bands that play exclusively in that style (though I can only think of one such subgenre off the top of my head, that being blackened doom) but by and large there's quite a bit of representation in most subgenres of metal.

Categorization, stripped of elitism, is simply a descriptor. It's easier to call something "Dirty South rap" and have everyone know what you're talking about than to have to say "bunch of black guys rapping about pussy in a duel for volume supremacy over thumping bass." It's people like you who scream BUT IT'S JUST RAP WHY DO YOU HAVE TO PIGEONHOLE IT who are the ones stifling creativity.

Fuck you anti-label assholes. You kill innovation. Why the fuck is it somehow okay to categorize a book by its genre (fantasy, sci-fi, horror, romance, etc.) but as soon as you start categorizing music someone starts crying? What makes one fundamentally different from the other? Fucking nothing, that's what. And yet we have dickbags who get upset because- oh no, a band has been described as sludgey hardcore! WHY ARE YOU PIGEONHOLING IT! IT'S EITHER SLUDGE OR IT'S HARDCORE!!!!!!! I MASTURBATE WITH A SUPREME PIZZA WRAPPED AROUND MY WANG! WHERE'S THE MIDOL HULGHALUGHALGHALGHLAUGUHLAGH

Fuck you piss me off sometimes.

Fuck this, I'm going to bed.

Categorisation can get taken way too far at times, you only have to look at Ishkur's to see this.

Last song I listened to was Noise/Girl - Discopathology: best crossover noise unit to come out of Japan, shame they've moved onto other things since.

Page 39 of 149 FirstFirst ... 49141924293435363738394041424344495459646974798489139 ... LastLast