TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 40 of 149 FirstFirst ... 510152025303536373839404142434445505560657075808590140 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 3706

Thread: Current song you are listening to(or the Last song you listened to)

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Fuck you anti-label assholes. You kill innovation. Why the fuck is it somehow okay to categorize a book by its genre (fantasy, sci-fi, horror, romance, etc.) but as soon as you start categorizing music someone starts crying? What makes one fundamentally different from the other? Fucking nothing, that's what.
    The moment Barnes and Nobles creates a "Hyper-punk Pastoral-fi" section is the day this comparison holds water.

Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    Doom metal is one thing, blackened-doom metal is a fucking joke.
    If there were a couple more adjectives i might agree with you. But black metal and doom metal are distinct enough for a fusion to be a valid subgenre i think.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Fuck you anti-label assholes. You kill innovation. Why the fuck is it somehow okay to categorize a book by its genre (fantasy, sci-fi, horror, romance, etc.) but as soon as you start categorizing music someone starts crying?
    I'm not "anti-label", you brick—fantasy, sci-fi, etc, are not the same thing as "dark metaphysical fantasy" or "dystopian clockpunk". Literature doesn't tend to stoop to such ludicrous extremes because they're UNNECESSARY.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Such extreme categorisation is also used for fiction books.

Sub-genres of Sci-fi literature:-
    Cyberpunk, Neo-Cyberpunk, Steampunk, Ribopunk, etc.

And it's similarly idiotic (at least if taken too seriously).

Taking the Death Toll
    Define "taken too seriously" because I think that may be the crux of the matter here.

Actually, no you know what? Categorization- outside of its function as a descriptor- is for the benefit of the people who actually care about the form of media being categorized. Don't care about metal? Then you're not going to give a shit about death/doom or anything like that. Don't care about cyberpunk? Then you're not going to care if something's neo-cyberpunk or whathaveyou.

And that's fine. But don't act like because something has a lot of subgenres that it somehow is impeding on anything.

I have a broad knowledge of metal's many subgenres and fusion genres because I actually give a shit about that kind of music. Of course, you can say "heh, metal is dumb" and swirl your snifter of brandy and read Irvine Welsh every night but that doesn't make metal any weirder than other genres with a lot of subclassifications.
    Last edited by june gloom; 7th Aug 2009 at 16:15.

Currently listening to Broad Daylight. (Don't watch the vid,just listen. The vid ruins the song.)

Faith Comes Knocking - Trail of Tears
    The new ToT album doesn't disappoint

Continuing to dig into early industrial music.

SPK - Post Mortem

Chakat sex pillow
    Stitch was right about The Antlers' new disk. Hospice is a jaw dropper, and I love it, but I hate it, it's well-written, and it's not an easy ride to the end. The epilogue makes me feel dead inside.

Chakat sex pillow
    Everyone is Golden

Portugal. The Man knows how to do Beatlesesque, oh yes honay. This song is possibly even more Beatlesesque than the Beatles ever were. Immensely catchy shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Stitch was right about The Antlers' new disk. Hospice is a jaw dropper, and I love it, but I hate it, it's well-written, and it's not an easy ride to the end. The epilogue makes me feel dead inside.
    This is a very unsettling album.

Yeah, I've only really listened to the disc as background music while dicking around in Photoshop, and frankly I'm terrified to turn it up and follow along properly.

oh jesus god I listened to the album as a whole while reading the lyrics

oh god

I started it today but it's too quiet, I couldn't hear it over the bus.

Meanwhile, Oneida's Rated O is rocking so hard (and so long).

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
    oh jesus god I listened to the album as a whole while reading the lyrics
    Oh fuck. It is a lot better when you read the lyrics. Why on earth they didn't tune up the singers voice so you can actually HEAR HIM when you're listening to the song I do not understand. Musically this album is not interesting enough to keep me listening. Too dreamy for me.

(only listened to Kettering and Bear tho)

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
    This is a very unsettling album.
    Oh, I agree. That's what I meant when I said it's not an easy ride. It's a hell of a difficult listen once you've gotten to absorb the lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Why on earth they didn't tune up the singers voice so you can actually HEAR HIM when you're listening to the song I do not understand. Musically this album is not interesting enough to keep me listening. Too dreamy for me.

(only listened to Kettering and Bear tho)
    It's not all dreamy though. Like the Pitchfork review says, it's a combination of ambient and anthemic. There's a contrast to the styles going on which lends itself well to the story as a whole.

I'd suggest taking the album in in one go if you can, instead of the odd song here and there.

Agreed. Print out the lyrics, crank the album on some headphones, and proceed to get thoroughly fucked up.

I did this shortly before bedtime last night and had the worst dreams ever

I havent heard the music, but those liner notes seem the height of prententiousness to me.

-ok have listened to some of it now, I was wrong, it is pretentious, but in a good, melancholy way.
    Bear is my fave at the moment, great chorus.

Last song....

Last song I have just listened a while ago is the song from
    Korn... Freak on a Leash...

you're an astronaut, and you're blowing up the moon

I watched Grosse Pointe Blank this evening - my favourite movie of all time; never ever get bored of it.

Anyway, the Pete Townshend: Let Love Open the Door is a phenominally good tune...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF1sVrFCkrY

Sure its the love theme of the movie; but that doesnt detract at how good it is...give it a listen

You realize the beginning riff of that song is a total cover of his own previous song "Substitute". Even so, he is a brilliant songwriter, also a pedo

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Everyone is Golden

Portugal. The Man knows how to do Beatlesesque, oh yes honay. This song is possibly even more Beatlesesque than the Beatles ever were. Immensely catchy shit.
    Wow - this is my kind of pop. Great stuff - thanks!

*handing fett the 1000th reply award*

...oh and listening to Genesis, Mama.

Page 40 of 149 FirstFirst ... 510152025303536373839404142434445505560657075808590140 ... LastLast