TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 47 of 145 FirstFirst ... 271217222732374243444546474849505152576267727782879297 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 3613

Thread: Current song you are listening to(or the Last song you listened to)

I can't see myself getting into the new Alice in Chains album. To me, Stayley was the band. That is why Mad Season was so cool. The band changed and it still felt like AiC because Stayley was there. I have been in a HUGE AiC mood lately. Main reason: the morning I dropped my late Bulldog 'Dozer' off at my work to be put to sleep, I got into the car and the radio came on, playing Don't Follow.

Wow. The lyrics just took on a whole new meaning and felt like he was telling me goodbye. I cried all the way home. So, it reminded me of AiC/Mad Season and have been listening to them quite a bit lately.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Starrfall View Post
    For quite a large change from smoking pot with dinosaurs, I give you Jesus Christ Superstar - Heaven on Their Minds
    JCSS I can get behind. Love it. Have it on VHS. Great soundtrack. And that track is the best. Love the guitar and the lyrics.

Just listen to this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLFAy...eature=related

The funk that starts at 0.28... oh my. And the organ that kicks in at 0.33. So damn groovy.

Wft is this new Alice in Chains sans Layne? I keep hearing about it but haven't actually heard anything yet. Got to get my hands on it as I can't imagine AiC sounding any good without him.

I was also totally into them in the 90s (along with Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam (but only 10), etc). Looking at Them Bones on youtube now I realise how lame they looked. Ha ha. How things change. Still sounds great though.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Amazing indeed! You are so not mainstream! Give yourself a big pat on the back -oh I see you already are patting yourself on the back! BRAVO!
    Actually I'm more inclined to see it as me being COMPLETELY out of touch with present-day music (and at only 24yo). But however you want to interpret it, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrfall View Post
    For quite a large change from smoking pot with dinosaurs, I give you Jesus Christ Superstar - Heaven on Their Minds

1) I have a massive hardon for musicals in general

2) Judas standing on a mountain shouting at Jesus? fuck yeah!

3) fu andrew lloyd weber and tim rice you bastards why must your poppy bs show tunes INVADE MY BRAIN
    I adore musicals. I've watched them my whole age. The Rocky Horror Picture Show was my favourite as a child.

What do you think of the 2000 remake of Jesus Christ...? I think it's better than people give it credit to.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkForge View Post
    Actually I'm more inclined to see it as me being COMPLETELY out of touch with present-day music (and at only 24yo).
    And all this at the tender age of 24! *shakes head with a bewildered, amazed stare*

Still Subjective
    Mmmm. New AiC isn't bad after all. Not as kooky as Dirt (or as good) but I prefer this album to a lot of Facelift. So far. They're doing the dual vocals/chanting that I liked so much on Dirt.

Level 10,000 achieved

The new Flaming Lips album, Embryonic

I don't have the words, or the musical knowledge, to describe exactly what this sounds like but... uh... it's very nice! Yeah.

I like a lot of Lips' songs but the only album of theirs I've managed to get through as a whole is Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, which still relied heavily on a few standout tracks making up for the lesser songs. Which makes Embryonic an odd one. There's not really any standout tracks here. I'd say Watching The Planets is the catchiest song on here and that one is oddly located at the very end of the album. Rather, Embryonic works very well as an album. Though I can't say if this is because the Lips are doing something different or if it's just my tastes that have changed.

Highly fuckin recomended anyway!

Chakat sex pillow
    Mew - Introducing Palace Players.

Progressive pop? Why yes, please sir can I have some more.

I like this idea in theory, but the drummer doesn't seem to know what to do with himself (for reference, see Meshugga). Just because it's trying to be 'prog' doesn't mean he has to play something that totally fucks up the groove in an effort to sound complicated (for reference, see Dream Theater)

Still Subjective
    Did some driving. Mostly listened to Radio 4 (of course ) but also to Slayer. I forget how fantastic the drummer is. Seasons in the Abyss has the best metal drumming ever ever. You can focus just on the drums and it's still awesome. Intro drumming on Skeletons of Society also winning.

Also some random Christian Death, Joy Division, Curve and that one good track off the Twilight album.

I will be getting the Bongo album of track fame featured in the spoof 2012 trailer.

Alison Krauss: Now That I've Found You, and Forget About It

Perhaps I'm just in a sappy mood, but some of these songs have me all teary-eyed, particularly "Never Got Off the Ground" and a cover of the Beatles' "I Will".

henke: Your comments are interesting because I've always thought the Lips were one of the few bands left making real albums: you know, the kind of records best appreciated by listening start to finish instead of mixing their songs into playlists with other people's stuff. Did you like Soft Bulletin? I though it was good in this regard also.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post

sure thing, chief

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    Did you like Soft Bulletin?
    Nope. "Waiting for Superman" I've listened to a lot but when I tried listening to the album I lost interest very quickly.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    Erherherhem. That was... interesting. 'Yeeah that's really good!'

Deconstructing pop that way doesn't really work its way into the same genre because the result isn't, er, pop. And why does the vocalist remind me of Yoko Ono for some reason? Might be the whole 'nau hawm, off no faemeelee' style of vocal tunelessosity.

Quote Originally Posted by fett View Post
    I like this idea in theory, but the drummer doesn't seem to know what to do with himself (for reference, see Meshugga). Just because it's trying to be 'prog' doesn't mean he has to play something that totally fucks up the groove in an effort to sound complicated (for reference, see Dream Theater)
    The first minute can really be 'um, what the fuck' in terms of what the drummer's doing over the groove, yeah. But I think it works because it throws you off track, and then at 1:05 everything suddenly comes together into a miniature aural orgasm with laser snails (if you'll pardon the overblown analogy).

Arguably, that bit wouldn't have been as effective if the one minute of percussive fuckery wasn't there distracting you to begin with. The drumming's not quite Portnoy in general, but past that point it works with the song instead of against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post

i own this on vinyl, it is win.

I don't have the words, or the musical knowledge, to describe exactly what this sounds like but... uh... it's very nice! Yeah.
    I'm not too familiar with Flaming Lips but I listened to this album today and really enjoyed it. I agree that nothing exactly stands out, (well, I did especially like "Gemini Syringes"), though I imagine this'll grow on me the more I hear it.

I'm not too familiar with Flaming Lips but I listened to this album today and really enjoyed it. I agree that nothing exactly stands out, (well, I did especially like "Gemini Syringes"), though I imagine this'll grow on me the more I hear it.
    i'm trying to get my hands on the 5.1 mix of Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

I've been a longtime fan of the band, going on a good eighteen years now. I'm such a relentless Lips nerd that I still bump Zaireeka, the 4 disc album in which all CDs are supposed to be played simultaneously.

But after an incredible run, they lost me with At War with the Mystics. Overcooked and underwritten, the Lips sounded aimless and, well, unnecessary for the first time in their career.

"Guess that's it for the Lips," I thought.

holy fuck was I wrong

Level 10,000 achieved
    Stitch, what did you think of their Christmas on Mars soundtrack? It was too ambient for my tastes, except for the track Once Beyond Hopelessness which was very nice. Also, do you actually listen to the 4 Zaireeka cd's in 4 different players, or is there some kind of 1 cd mix of it available?

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
    holy fuck was I wrong
    That's good to hear because I started listening to Flaming Lips with At War with the Mystics and while I could tell it was in the area of music I like I just couldn't help but feel a little embarrassed listening to it. Having said that I saw them live and really loved Do You Realize. I guess I should give them another chance and probably listen to Yoshimi.

Taking the Death Toll

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
    holy fuck was I wrong
    ok cool, so you're in a good position to tell me which albums I should check out next--maybe keeping in mind that the experimental, dreamy (Pitchfork would say "gauzy") aspects are what I'm loving most about Embryonic.

I was at the Amorphis gig last Saturday in Camden, London.

They were supported by two other bands I'd never heard of: Amoral and Beyond the Dawn.

While Amorphis were fucking incredible and have now broken into my very exclusive top 4 list of all-time favourite bands both live and on disc...I have to mention both Amoral and BTD.

Amoral were great, but Beyond the Dawn are fucking incredible. I've been eating up all their stuff this week in an orgy of metal/piano unhollyness.

BTD played a 45min set and finished with the below linked song; Deadsong. Give it a listen and tell me what you think...if you like this stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BorisGVG.../1/Pv5h75H7AOE

Jesu has been rocking my world since around July or something.

I'll still have to give Infinity a few more listens but the new Opiate Sun EP is pretty good. Would've linked the title song from it, in fact, but can't find it on youtube.

Stitch, what did you think of their Christmas on Mars soundtrack? It was too ambient for my tastes, except for the track Once Beyond Hopelessness which was very nice. Also, do you actually listen to the 4 Zaireeka cd's in 4 different players, or is there some kind of 1 cd mix of it available?
    I never really gave Christmas On Mars a proper listen, mostly because it seemed like a secondary release from a band past their prime. Embryonic is making me reconsider that assumption, however.

As for Zaireeka, single CD mixdowns are available online, but I don't recommend them as the music isn't written and mixed for two speakers, and more importantly to boil things down to a small, manageable single mix misses the point. Zaireeka is supposed to be different every time you listen to it, depending on all the chaotic factors introduced when trying to synch up simultaneous playback on four different system, assuming you even have the ability to play all four at once (being forced to select which CDs to abandon if you lack the resources for full playback is part of the experience). Zaireeka is about eschewing the familiar in favor of taking you someplace slightly different each time.
    ok cool, so you're in a good position to tell me which albums I should check out next--maybe keeping in mind that the experimental, dreamy (Pitchfork would say "gauzy") aspects are what I'm loving most about Embryonic.
    Well, Embryonic is kind of its own thing and represents a new direction for the Lips. Its closest equivalent is probably Zaireeka, although all of their other releases before At War with the Mystics are excellent. If you're trying to narrow in on the essential albums and spread out from there, I think Transmissions from the Satellite Heart best represents their acid-drenched psyche-pop phase, whereas The Soft Bulletin is the high point of their big-tent uplifting symphonic space pop period.

Page 47 of 145 FirstFirst ... 271217222732374243444546474849505152576267727782879297 ... LastLast