TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 48 of 149 FirstFirst ... 381318232833384344454647484950515253586368737883889398148 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 3706

Thread: Current song you are listening to(or the Last song you listened to)

I've been listening to Pinback a lot this past year - I particularly like their album Summer in Abaddon.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
    As for Zaireeka, single CD mixdowns are available online, but I don't recommend them as the music isn't written and mixed for two speakers, and more importantly to boil things down to a small, manageable single mix misses the point. Zaireeka is supposed to be different every time you listen to it, depending on all the chaotic factors introduced when trying to synch up simultaneous playback on four different system, assuming you even have the ability to play all four at once (being forced to select which CDs to abandon if you lack the resources for full playback is part of the experience). Zaireeka is about eschewing the familiar in favor of taking you someplace slightly different each time.
    If you have a HT/surround setup, one easy way to play all 4 at once is to download the fan-made DVD. Yeah, that's against the 'spirit' of the work, but it's better than a mixdown.

Even better is to cue up what you can and let that shit unfold. To reign Zaireeka in is to undercut its impact.

But, fair point: that is an option for those looking to get an easy approximation of the experience.

Chakat sex pillow
    I'll try this out someday when I have four stereo systems. The truth of the matter though is I'll probably buckle and settle for the DVD downmix instead, because I'm more of a lazy bastard and something of an accessibility whore.

Case in point: Magnetic Tapes - Bicycle. (Muddy bass lines courtesy YouTube. )

It's the sort of weird and uneasy dance track I'd never normally listen to (apart from James Murphy, that is), but keep it going and you discover that it possesses the most euphoric unsingable dance coda since forever.

And forever was such a long time ago.

Just finished my second listening of Embryonic, I love it! There really aren't any other comparisons in the Flying Lips catalog (although I'm a bit hazy on Zaireeka) as I haven't heard it in a while. The real loose, gritty feel makes a terrific change from At War With the Mystics, which felt like the pop sound of Yoshima taken to its logical conclusion.

Apart from that I've been listening to Nick Cave's new double album of score music he's written for films White Lunar. I was a big fan of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford both for as a film and as a score, so I was really excited to see that music on here. It's a pretty diverse album, but really illustrates how diverse Cave's talents as a songwriter are.

"Stagger Lee"--Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Don't know how I missed this gem from the 90s.

You're Gonna Leave Stephen is the best Marley brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    I'll try this out someday when I have four stereo systems. The truth of the matter though is I'll probably buckle and settle for the DVD downmix instead, because I'm more of a lazy bastard and something of an accessibility whore.
    Yeah, but I really can't imagine that working too well. Tying each CD together to that degree would render some of the songs impenetrable, as Zaireeka isn't just a dense album arbitrarily split over four discs. Each CD is designed to sometimes play with and sometimes play against the other three.

My suggestion is to use CD 1 as the "anchor" CD and cue up what else you can, although dominant melodies are spread throughout all four discs, so it's impossible to avoid missing out on something--the gorgeous bridge on "Riding to Work in the Year 2025 (Your Invisible Now)" resides entirely on disc 3, for example--but that's kind of the point. Zaireeka is different with every listen and never ceases to surprise me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ercles View Post
    Just finished my second listening of Embryonic, I love it! There really aren't any other comparisons in the Flying Lips catalog (although I'm a bit hazy on Zaireeka) as I haven't heard it in a while. The real loose, gritty feel makes a terrific change from At War With the Mystics, which felt like the pop sound of Yoshima taken to its logical conclusion.
    At War with the Mystics ramped up the production to cartoonish proportions while lacking the songwriting pop smarts of, well, everything they did during the previous fifteen years. As such, little of it worked (although there were a few gems on it, like "Pompeii am Götterdämmerung").

Not related to the Lips, but as one of the few remaining Mars Volta fans besides myself on this board, did you ever warm up to Octahedron? It's grown on me to the degree that I think it's probably their best since De-Loused, and it certainly has me looking forward to what they do next.

Quote Originally Posted by Risquit View Post
    "Stagger Lee"--Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Don't know how I missed this gem from the 90s.
    Me too, a few weeks ago, the whole of Murder Ballads actually. Great stuff, it's such an obvious, fitting Nick Cave concept really. I also find it funny that Henry Lee and The Curse of Millhaven have basically the same melody and chord sequence, down to the "la la la la, la la la li/lee".

^
    Yeah, I noticed that too and was wondering if it was intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
    Not related to the Lips, but as one of the few remaining Mars Volta fans besides myself on this board, did you ever warm up to Octahedron? It's grown on me to the degree that I think it's probably their best since De-Loused, and it certainly has me looking forward to what they do next.
    Afraid it just never grew on me, but admittedly I haven't given it that much of a try recently. Some albums (like Bright Eyes' Cassadaga) that were such a huge departure from a bands seeming direction have taken me a very very long time to come around to, so you never know. Octahedron (except for cotopaxi) just lacked everything I really loved about the band, where every song had this relentless drive and intense focus underneath layers of wanky proggy latin rock. There also just aren't enough of the really cool grooves that omar has a real knack for writing, teflon and cotopaxi being the only good examples I can find.

As I said, you never know, but for now I am far more excited about the next De Facto album than I am about another Mars Volta release.

Just got back from seeing Lamb of God. I think the last song of the set was maybe Choke Sermon.

is Best Pony
    Wtf how did my cousin just rope me into going to an Airbourne gig?

You had to get roped?

Currently listening to one of my favorite bands, Zeromancer.
    Need You Like A Drug - Zeromancer

is Best Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    You had to get roped?
    I think I've only heard about three of their songs. It will actually be my first 'real' gig; I'm so excited.

Saw Muse live yesterday. Was ok, but there was one song that was fucking immense: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Ik7fN4LOI

matisya who?

Fuck your hymns, orthodox jewish reggae rap is the fuckin way to go.

Nine Inch Nails - Capital G

I pushed a button
    and elected him to office and uh
    He pushed the button
    and dropped the bomb
    You pushed the button
    and could watch it on the television
    Those motherfuckers
    didn't last too long huh huh

As someone who bought Year Zero the day it came out, that shit got old fast. Reminded me a lot of Pink Floyd's The Wall, as it seemed like an album where an incredible amount of effort had been put into the concept and the lyrics, with the music ultimately suffering.

Are you old enough to marry, do you think?
    Won't you wait until you're eighty in the shade?
    There's a fascination frantic in a ruin that's romantic;
    Do you think you are sufficiently decayed?

Though I'm listening to the Welsh National Opera version (conducted by Charles Mackerras)

To the matter that you mention I have given some attention, and I think I am sufficiently decayed!

Amoral - Release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGABaXgvPQ8

Saw them live a couple of weekends ago - nice opening guitar riff. The drummer (dude standing at the far left) is a machine on the metal drums of god.

Duffy - Warwick Avenue

I do like it when gimmicky-song-of-the-moment person (yeah, we're a little behind over here) is the real deal. Would go well over the opening street montage from some 1970 film.

Page 48 of 149 FirstFirst ... 381318232833384344454647484950515253586368737883889398148 ... LastLast