TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 52 of 150 FirstFirst ... 271217222732374247484950515253545556576267727782879297102 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 3742

Thread: Current song you are listening to(or the Last song you listened to)

Nazareth version of "Love Hurts"

Chakat sex pillow
    Thanks for that donkeyboy song, I think I need to go slit my wrists now.

Seriously though, it's pretty great for an 80s throwback anthem.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
    I listened to the album as a whole while reading the lyrics

oh god
    I'm halfway through my third listen of this album, the first not in my car and with the lyrics in front of me. I almost cried listening to Bear. What's worse is that that song is the standout single of the album.

I don't know if I can do this guys.
    Last edited by Jackablade; 7th Dec 2009 at 04:17.

Sounds like everyone on this page needs to listen to some Ambivalence Avenue. That's what I did on the way home today and it felt great

Quote Originally Posted by Jackablade View Post
    I'm halfway through my third listen of this album, the first not in my car and with the lyrics in front of me. I almost cried listening to Bear. What's worse is that that song is the standout single of the album.

I don't know if I can do this guys.
    God knows why but now I've decided that I have to listen to this album, sounds like the aural equivalent to watching the entire second season of skins in one go. It wasn't a good time.

EDIT: Just to actually reflect this with what I'm listening to right now: Pyramids
    Last edited by ercles; 7th Dec 2009 at 04:27.

Just finished. If you want to feel bad without much closure this is the album to listen to.

but, yeah, Ambivalence Avenue is awesome too.

Okay, I'm lying in bed listening to Hospice as I take a last dash at hearing some 2009 music ahead of the inevitable top ten thread.

I worried after Sylvia that the album was going into a routine with the hushed vocals and backing suddenly bursting into violent crescendo, so I was glad when Atrophy teased at a climax that didn't come... And then Bear starts so jauntily and I'm thinking it's quite different, then I listen to the lyrics and I'm not good at analysing songs but I guess it's a song about abortion? The loss that they're not willing to acknowledge or speak of anyway due to their being too young?

Anyway still listening...

Edit: ok, for a while I didn't think the unrelenting bleakness in the themes of loss, sickness and death poisoning love and hollowing out relationships was going to end but then there's a hint of a religious-like epiphany pulling you out from the gloom toward the end. Only my first listen so I obviously didn't pick up on everything but from the achingly strained falsetto which sounded like bone deep pain, I'm guessing this was a very personal project.

Powerful stuff anyway.
    Last edited by Scots Taffer; 7th Dec 2009 at 08:00.

Chakat sex pillow
    Powerful is definitely the word. It's earned parallels to Bon Hiver's For Emma, Forever Ago due to the pattern of its genesis and similarities in context. I think it's perhaps even better; while For Emma was cold and distant and aching bittersweet, Hospice is more up close and painfully personal. Certainly the most profound thing I've listened to all year.

Right now, I feel the urge to listen to something more upbeat. Discovered another donkeyboy gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    Okay, I'm lying in bed listening to Hospice as I take a last dash at hearing some 2009 music ahead of the inevitable top ten thread.

I worried after Sylvia that the album was going into a routine with the hushed vocals and backing suddenly bursting into violent crescendo, so I was glad when Atrophy teased at a climax that didn't come... And then Bear starts so jauntily and I'm thinking it's quite different, then I listen to the lyrics and I'm not good at analysing songs but I guess it's a song about abortion? The loss that they're not willing to acknowledge or speak of anyway due to their being too young?

Anyway still listening...

Edit: ok, for a while I didn't think the unrelenting bleakness in the themes of loss, sickness and death poisoning love and hollowing out relationships was going to end but then there's a hint of a religious-like epiphany pulling you out from the gloom toward the end. Only my first listen so I obviously didn't pick up on everything but from the achingly strained falsetto which sounded like bone deep pain, I'm guessing this was a very personal project.

Powerful stuff anyway.
    I had to read the lyrics for many songs to really get them, since they're a bit hard to hear (dunno if me not being a native speaker matters). Pays out though, it's a great story once you get all the pieces.

And yes, Bear is about abortion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Powerful is definitely the word. It's earned parallels to Bon Hiver's For Emma, Forever Ago due to the pattern of its genesis and similarities in context. I think it's perhaps even better; while For Emma was cold and distant and aching bittersweet, Hospice is more up close and painfully personal. Certainly the most profound thing I've listened to all year.

Right now, I feel the urge to listen to something more upbeat. Discovered another donkeyboy gem.
    Hospice wins over For Emma, because it's a nicely written story. Aforementioned is just pieces stick together.

The new Rishloo album (Feathergun) got leaked and I can't stop listening to it. For those who don't know, Rishloo is a, kind of, experimental, psychedelic, progressive, artrock, whatever band from Seattle. And they're quite good IMO.

Be Me - Ayria
    Really catchy song from a pretty excellent electronic/industrial artist

Les Discrets - Après l'Ombre
    (in a split release with Alcest, dethtoll)

Taking the Death Toll
    shit nigga i gotta find that

Level 10,000 achieved

The Black Keys new "sideproject"

SPOON I turn my camera on......

I finally listened to Antlers, lyrics in hand.

It sounds like they wrote the words first and then forced them to fit the music. I mean, this is totally a personal preference, but for a pop album the songs just weren't structured enough to really leave any lasting musical impression on me. Even "Bear", the highlight, is haphazardly constructed.

The lyrics are well-written for a project like this, but as I read along I couldn't shake the feeling that they are something to which students of My Chemical Romance might eventually graduate. So while I tried to let them affect me on a personal (and of course devastating—I do want to fit in here) level there's no self-consciousness or cynicism or any sort of ironic aspect which, although it admittedly might work against a connection with many people, would give me in particular a hold. In other words, they take themselves so seriously that I can't.

So while I naturally felt shitty afterwards, I think part of it was a vague anger at my inability to appreciate this sentiment in a more intimate, maybe even naive, way.
    Last edited by Aja; 11th Dec 2009 at 15:37.

look I'm just trying to work through my feelings, okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    for a pop album the songs just weren't structured enough to really leave any lasting musical impression on me.

they are something to which students of My Chemical Romance might eventually graduate.
    What? A pop album? How on earth did you draw that conclusion, iTunes lists it as alternative, and I would have labeled it as indie. As far as song construction goes, I really don't take your point, the example you list, Bear is just verse chorus verse chorus. I thought, musically, the album was fairly well put together, there's a variety in style and instrumentation.

You expect an ironic element in an album with this sort of subject matter? Maybe the album is too raw for you, but ultimately I think that it works for what this album is toned towards. If this album was just a big pile of poorly written emo junk, then it'd be a lot easier to dismiss, and would save us the tough experience of re-listens. But rather it is a pretty stunningly written album, and as such I don't think you can just discard it.

The My Chemical Romance comparison is way off the mark, just to clarify.

The lyrics in Hospice are so phenomenal that the writer in me is jealous, from how intricately the narrative is constructed--many details are linked or inverted throughout--to the fact that the "story" works on both a literal and metaphorical level (who hasn't dated a Sylvia at some point?)

Added points: Hospice has quite possibly the best opening line ever, especially as it turns on a dime when its barbed true meaning is later revealed.

I think the disconnect between the lyrics and the music really helps to develop the overall feeling of unease the album generates.

I've been catching up on my brainfeeder podcasts, and Tokimonsta has really caught my attention

Saiyan - Saltwater (Trance Classics)

from a very talented trance & house artists

IRON MAIDEN PIECE OF FUCKING MIND BITCHES!

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks - Forest Overworld

The new Zelda may have a few problems -most blatant of those being a voluntary lack of anything else than evolutionary innovation- but the soundtrack sure isn't one. Haven't been so in love with a Nintendo soundtrack for a long time

Page 52 of 150 FirstFirst ... 271217222732374247484950515253545556576267727782879297102 ... LastLast