TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 57 of 150 FirstFirst ... 71217222732374247525354555657585960616267727782879297102107 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 3742

Thread: Current song you are listening to(or the Last song you listened to)

Megafaun - Lazy Suicide (click "play" at the bottom of the window)

Okay, I admit it: I like pretty much anything that has a banjo in it. But even without one this would still be pretty excellent.

Welcome to Hell.

My dad is obssesed with Pink Floyd. Franklly, I can't stand their music but I guess my Dad's music tastes are vastly different to my own. Not that I hate all old music(I enjoy a few bands from the 90's and even 80's, hell I like the Beatles too) but it just sounds too cheesy to me.

Anywho, I'm listening to:
    Realize - Rootwater

All male Rock/Metal band, they sound pretty good(not sure where they're from). They have some good melodic tracks and this one has a slight Middle-Eastern influence.

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by Andarthiel View Post
    All male Rock/Metal band
    You realize this is pretty much saying the same thing twice right?

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    You realize this is pretty much saying the same thing twice right?
    Rock and Metal are two completely separate genres. Metal being the heavier one.

Taking the Death Toll

I was referring to the "all-male" part.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post

I was referring to the "all-male" part.
    What the hell are you on about? I didn't repeat myself.

Taking the Death Toll
    Yes you did. Rock and metal bands are nearly ubiquitously sausage-fests, so to say a rock band is all-male is a bit redundant. A rock band being all-female, or even having just one female member (especially if she's lead singer)- well, that's worthy of note.

Fucking Mind Eraser also patrick stewart and metal are like garlic and ice cream - they mix great IF YOU ARE A PERV

Taking the Death Toll

Pfft, there's enough female-including metal and rock bands around. Kylesa is awesome for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Andarthiel View Post
    My dad is obssesed with Pink Floyd. Franklly, I can't stand their music but I guess my Dad's music tastes are vastly different to my own. Not that I hate all old music(I enjoy a few bands from the 90's and even 80's, hell I like the Beatles too) but it just sounds too cheesy to me.
    When you reach the age of 40 you'll probably realize there were a lot of good 60's and 70's bands too. I used to hate that stuff and was totally a product of my age, musicially speaking. Something happens to a lot of music lovers about that age that they start realizing it's just as important to look back as it is to look forward. The painful thing for me was to realize that many of the "modern" bands I loved were weaker carbon copies of earlier greats. I hate Floyd too, I'm just saying, keep digging into the older stuff and you'll find some real gems that you'll come to love even more than the stuff that you listen to right now.

Chakat sex pillow
    I was kinda the opposite way. I discovered Floyd because a friend lent me his entire collection one summer vacation in school, and from then on it was classic rock and nothing else. Tull, The Stones, The Beatles, Creedence, Sabbath, The Who, Yes, Genesis... what helped me realise how great most of them were was the fact that the 90s were a musical wasteland.

I've never liked hip hop and soul and pop all that much, so retreating to the past and finding this veritable goldmine of music made me tune everything else out. These days mainstream music is still mostly crap, but turn to the right places and the gold's still waiting to be found: the indie scene has been turning out some of the best music I've heard in a long, long time.

My arse the 1990s were a musical wasteland. How can such an AOR fan as yourself disregard REM, frinstance? What about the pixies? what about the smashing pumkins, blur, faith no more, the manics, radiohead, mansun, DJ shadow (in fact the entire mo' wax scene before James Lavelle's head and scrotum switched places), the prodigy, sonic youth, placebo, metallica, sepultura, tool, mr bungle, the klf, nine inch nails, wire, pantera, fucking ORBITAL, FSOL, Aphex Twin, Slick Rick, Cyprus Hill, GNR, Tori Amos, the Beasties, PJ HARVEY (!), Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains, The Jesus Lizard, Suede, The Wildhearts, Melvins, the Divine Comedy, OutKast, Beck, Soul Coughing, Supergrass, Soul Asylum (at least SOME of there stuff is pretty damn good), Blind Melon, POTUSA, Tortoise, Incubus (first proper album was storming at the time, admit it), Boards of Canada, Ben Folds various stuff and Garbage? What about all them, and others I can't think of right now? You can't write an entire decade off unless you're fucking lazy / stupid enough to take the filtered output of a previous decade as a sign of unalloyed quality compared to actually living through new, fresh music and having to sort through the slurry yourself.

Chakat sex pillow
    Chalk me down for the lazy. A lot of that slurry, by the way, was half of your list. While REM and the Prodigy and the Smashing Pumpkins might have been culturally relevant, they certainly didn't register as anything near awesome to my ears. Personally, apart from a couple of songs from REM and ONE from the Pumpkins (Tonight, Tonight), I can't stand them.

And Suede? Didn't they die in obscurity? As well as Blind Melon (No Rain and, uh, what else)?

Tori Amos? PJ Harvey? Unfortunately, I'm not too fond of listening to music to slit my wrists to, y'know?

But Radiohead, Alice in Chains, Pantera, yeah. Soul Asylum had one real classic, which was the incomparable video for Runaway Train. But the rest was uninspired moderate/slow rock, so that's a meh.

Actually, most of the bunch you mentioned had a couple breakout hits and then faded away or imploded. Out of all of those, I'm thankful that Blur made the Gorillaz possible, but Blur themselves aren't exactly what I'd call a timeless rock band.

Fine, stick to the 70s dadrock. You should probably try actually listening to PJs 90s stuff though, it's not depressing. Rid Of Me is just fucking awesome.

Chakat sex pillow
    Will certainly do so. White Chalk was relentlessly morbid, but the lady can most certainly sing. As long as she doesn't pull a KD Lang out of nowhere, I'll be all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by fett View Post
    When you reach the age of 40 you'll probably realize there were a lot of good 60's and 70's bands too. I used to hate that stuff and was totally a product of my age, musicially speaking. Something happens to a lot of music lovers about that age that they start realizing it's just as important to look back as it is to look forward. The painful thing for me was to realize that many of the "modern" bands I loved were weaker carbon copies of earlier greats. I hate Floyd too, I'm just saying, keep digging into the older stuff and you'll find some real gems that you'll come to love even more than the stuff that you listen to right now.
    Yea I don't know about that. But usually people who get to that age stick to music they listened to in their young adult years like my Dad.
    Anyway, I'm listening to:Quasar Waves-Samael
    Awesome stuff, I don't like their earlier black metal albums but this new electronic music is awesome.

In my experience, the older people get, the more conservative they get with their music tastes. I think that you really start to get into good music when you leave high school and stop listening to whatever anyone else is listening to.

I'm 22 and I listen to a shitload of old music, so to claim that it takes time to discover old gems is absurd, you just need to have an appetite for interesting music regardless of its context.

Current song you are listening to(or the Last song you listened to)
    Mungojerrie And Rumpleteazer.

These last two years I've discovered The Band, Bob Dylan, Cream, Neil Young, plus a shitload of jazz players I knew nothing about that's I'm now shamelessly carbon-copying on the sax in lieu of training.

I already had a pretty broad library, mostly focused on 90's/contemporary bands and traditional Celtic/Irish music, but with lots of other stuff. Diving into "oldies" was something else, to say the least.

Last song I listened to: Loreena McKennit - Dante's Prayer

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    White Chalk was relentlessly morbid
    Yeah, that is unfortunately 100% true. Anything pre To Bring You My Love is great, though - and there are scattered moments of brilliance in her later career (This is Love, Who the Fuck?, The Desperate Kingdom of Love, Naked Cousin etc). Also, all of those bands have their moments of genius. When I can be bothered I'll post links.
    Last edited by Vivian; 27th Feb 2010 at 18:57.

Taking the Death Toll
    New discovery: VOLBEAT. Perhaps best described as "Elvis metal" as they blend 50s-style rock n' roll and rockabilly with heavy metal.

wtf these guys are awesome

what good is an ear if a q-tip isn't in it

Q-Tip's 2008 album The Renaissance

so good.

Any hip-hop fans recommend more jazz-inflected rap albums? I'm already loving Gang Starr, and I've got Tribe Called Quest on my list, if that helps narrow it down.

Taking the Death Toll
    If it's not MC 900 Foot Jesus you're doing it wrong. Especially One Step Ahead of the Spider.

Page 57 of 150 FirstFirst ... 71217222732374247525354555657585960616267727782879297102107 ... LastLast