TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Avatars?

Quote Originally Posted by addink View Post
    But round these parts, I'd rather see you contribute to the discussions at hand. An avatar won't improve your contributions any. If anything, it'll distract.
    Avatars will not improve contributions because they aren't meant to. And if you find a small picture below the username of someone to be distracting, it is a sign that the discussion you're reading is not very interesting.

To me avatars are a way to ID someone. It may sound strange to some, but I recognize members much more easily and quickly by an avatar than the username, and I'm legally blind.

Well maybe it's me, but I never have any trouble identifying the poster by their name.

Like I mentioned in my earlier posts, my objections aren't aimed at decent subdued avatars.
    The problem is there's no way to stop the annoying distracting avatars unless there'll be some serious filtering and rule-enforcing. Not a job I wish onto anyone.

How do you categorize annoying avatars? I'm fine with any avatar as long as it isn't animated. I've encountered animated avatars that are horribly annoying but also lots of fun to watch, a deadly combination.

Quote Originally Posted by raevol View Post
    I agree about the light theme thing, though I don't really feel the theme should be changed.
    Changed, no, but complimented with a dark theme option? Definitely. That'd be a far more useful thing to do than adding avatar support, if you ask me. I even made a start at a custom stylesheet to do it, but ran out of steam when I realised what a mess of random white pixels all the TTLG buttons and logos are.

@Nameless Voice: Wish granted - your posts are now avatarificated (for me that is).
    @Koki: If i could stand it - that would be your avatar.

Greasemonkey rulez :P

Taking a break
    o god

Quote Originally Posted by zombe View Post
    (even text is only ok in ~1% of the cases where signature exists [hm... actually, most posts themselves are junk too. {like this one}])
    Just out of curiosity, what would you use if you wanted another parenthesis in there?

Quote Originally Posted by Koki View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what would you use if you wanted another parenthesis in there?
    "「" & "」"

Why ignore the "<" and ">"?
    You people are weird.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I have yet to see a forum that allows avatars that doesn't make me want to rip my eyes out.
    This is a pretty silly argument that doesn't really hold up against the benefit that avatars provide. I understand where you're coming from--hell, I once shared the same opinion--but in the end avatars don't disrupt the flow of the page all that much more than tools already at our disposal.

One of the great things about not having avatars is that I can browse the site at work and, pictures of tarts and vicars aside it looks like a programming forum from anything over about 2 metres away

jtr7
    When avatars are used, my eyes are drawn to the pictures rather than the content of the post, and I like how TTLG is generally different than most other forums. In the first year it did take me a while to get used to the color-scheme, though.

Necrosorry but,

What about allowing avatars but also giving the users to turn avatar visibility off ?

So people can use avatars and people who doesnt like it will not be distracted by it if they turn it off at the options menu.

You can also limit it to 50 x 50 pixels so its not a huge strain of databites slowing the server.

Let's just say there's a general dislike towards avatars that bandaid solutions won't change

what happened to that thread where everyone had avatars?

and they were all animated?

It was a hack I did in the forum software which I later removed when I upgraded it!

I've been wondering about the avatar ban, too. I think it makes this place seem less friendly and open to new members, but it also takes away a good deal of personality because now it's easy to conufse users since every post looks the same

A good way to get around animated avatars is to limit the size to something like 12kb I think. I too think it is nice to have avatars around because it's easier to tell users apart and it adds a little more individuality to the place. So they are in fact rather useful. And isn't it part of the regular options that you can choose to not have the avatars of other users displayed?

I just think avatars would be nice even though the forum can survive without them too.

As a new member, I'm not sure you understand the importance of this issue Outie

;D

I can safely say that after reading/posting here for a few weeks/months I still have no idea who the eff you people are. I know dethtoll is generally disliked, but I'm not even sure why. I also know David runs things, but that's because I had to PM him.

The Architect
    It's text on a screen. How can you know who anyone actually is?

And how is an avatar going to change that? Oh look, that person is a bumble bee. That person is Dracula. That person is an anime character. That person is Garrett, just like the 400 other Garretts. Oh neat, that person is a supermodel! I want to get to know them better!

Please no avatars, no signatures, no animated gif's, no post count or any other thing that are so popular on other forums. This forum is just fine the way it is. I prefer to judge people by their posts not by their avatars.

Quote Originally Posted by raevol View Post
    I can safely say that after reading/posting here for a few weeks/months I still have no idea who the eff you people are. I know dethtoll is generally disliked, but I'm not even sure why. I also know David runs things, but that's because I had to PM him.
    You actually read the posts? There are some distinctive personalities here.

Hey guys, let's not insult raevol's intelligence.

I see both sides of this. The lack of avatars makes TTLG distinctive and creates a focus purely on the content of the posts.

That said, raevol is not denying that there are distinct personalities. His point is that, even in the waning days of TTLG, there are a lot of personalities here. And different people remember things different ways. For a lot of people, names are fine. For others, not. Take me, for instance. I know I know who Aja is; I've read a lot of his/her posts (sorry for gender confusion!) - yet if you asked me to describe them I couldn't really do that. On another forum that uses avatars, I can describe everyone in great detail, but it helps link their posts in my mind.

It's really just a matter of how your mind operates. If most folks prefer no avatars, so be it - but don't insult those who have trouble without them.

The Architect
    Who decided that TTLG is waning?

Quote Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post
    Take me, for instance. I know I know who Aja is; I've read a lot of his/her posts (sorry for gender confusion!) - yet if you asked me to describe them I couldn't really do that.
    canadian bioshock-loving xbox tard who likes weird music and probably smells

I propose increasing the font size of the usernames on each post to 300%.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast