TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another thread about upgrading Thief 1 / Gold!

Another thread about upgrading Thief 1 / Gold!

I have recently returned once again to Thief 1 and have been spending some time combing through the various threads about upgrading the graphics. I notice a number of people were like me somewhat confused by the variety of options on offer, so I've tried to collate what I have managed to figure out into one handy list...

(It's best to follow each step in order, and test the game after every one.)

1: Install Thief. Make sure it is patched up to v1.33. http://thief-thecircle.com/download.asp?fid=264

2: Obtain and install the Darkloader. Run it and choose the "optimise Thief" option when prompted during configuration. http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...ght=darkloader

3: Obtain and install timeslip's ddfix. This should make Thief compatible with modern graphics cards/processors and removes long-standing annoyances such as the resolution switch thingy. This also works with Thief 2. http://timeslip.chorrol.com/ddfix.html

4: Download and install orgy's texture replacements. This replaces Thief's scenery textures with the improved ones from Thief 2. http://thief-thecircle.com/download.asp?fid=597

5: Download and install Daemonite's model replacements. Does as above, but for the models. http://thief-thecircle.com/download.asp?fid=590

6: Download and install Nameless voice(+other's) Enhancement Pack. This excellent pack further improves many of the objects/models in the game, and is also compatible with Thief 2. http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...hancement+pack

This process also works for Thief 2, except that steps 4 and 5 should be skipped. Also for Thief 2 you will want to look at the NTEX high-res scenery textures (sadly Thief 1 apparently cannot handle higher resolution scenery.) http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119451

Phew! I think this is everything, and I've tested it on my PC. Each download should come with it's own readme for installation. Please add further to this list if I have overlooked something.
    Last edited by Sad Git; 2nd Oct 2008 at 06:14.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    That's a very nice summary! I still have to get around to installing TG on my new PC sometime, and will refer to this thread for links and order.

Just what I needed as well. I hesitate to owning up to being a complete **** when it comes to working out what to do with various things, but I do struggle sometimes.

I recently had to reinstall TMA and it was a nightmare trying to remember what worked with what and what I'd done before. I know it's all in the FAQ but things have moved on since it was written and there's other stuff to use these days.

I also had problems gettings Thief Gold to run properly on my system (XP SP3, Nvidia 8600 GTS, 1280 x 1024 resolution).

After much experimentation, I came up with a method of properly installing Thief Gold that is only slightly different than yours (I installed DDfix before optimizing with Dark Loader).

1. Install Thief with the -lgntforce switch.
    2. Install the DDFix.
    3. Install DarkLoader and let it optimize the TG installation.
    4. Install Daeomonite's Thief 1 & Gold AI Mesh & Skin Patch (TGA Version).
    5. Install Orgy's Thief Gold Texture Patch (Hardware Version).
    6. Install Nameless Voice's Thief Enhancement Pack.

Regarding the subject of "modernizing" Thief I and II to bring it closer to modern PC gaming standards, you might want to read through my post here:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122944

Very nice collection of sources you have. I recently have had the urge to replay Thief/gold/ and Thief II. I found it was very troublesome to get everything you have posted here. Good job and thanks.

On another note, I cannot get "-lgntforce" to work with Thief TDP, although it does work with Thief Gold and Thief II. Is there any other way to get around the game not installing?

hmm i might have to try some of this, i recently attempted to reinstall and gave up trying to get it to work on xp. Hooray for second pc which i loaded 98 on and it works fine there anyway but i may try this just to see.

I would like to know how to install Orgy's mesh pack on Thief Gold. There are only three folders in the file and HiPoly, txt, and txt16. They extracted into my root but I do not think that is right.

Additionally, when I was installing the enhancement pack it said the menu tree should be this Thief/fam/yaddayadda

my thief install folder is named ThiefG, so it looks like ThiefG/fam/yaddayadda will this cause a problem?

after following the load order and doing all the instructions my blackjack arm still looks like the old version. Thanks for any help. it is cool to have this game up and running again....

Don't forget the Widescreen Patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Blith_Erring_Idio View Post
    I would like to know how to install Orgy's mesh pack on Thief Gold. There are only three folders in the file and HiPoly, txt, and txt16. They extracted into my root but I do not think that is right.

Additionally, when I was installing the enhancement pack it said the menu tree should be this Thief/fam/yaddayadda

my thief install folder is named ThiefG, so it looks like ThiefG/fam/yaddayadda will this cause a problem?

after following the load order and doing all the instructions my blackjack arm still looks like the old version. Thanks for any help. it is cool to have this game up and running again....
    Can anyone help with this? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Blith_Erring_Idio View Post

I'm not an expert but I'll give it a try.

Just to clarify, I used Daemonite's meshes and Orgy's textures. I'm not sure if there is an Orgy mesh pack as well, or if that was a typo.

Using Gold should not be a barrier, just a case of changing the install path to ThiefG.

The readme that comes with Daemonite's meshes gives the following instructions:-

"(Start with clean Thief 1/Gold. Install and optimise with Darkloader.)

1: Extract the patch to your Thief folder, making sure to "use folder names". Your Thief folder should now have three new subfolders (mesh, motions, and obj) with various files within each one.

2: In your Thief folder, open up dark.cfg with Notepad and add a line with the following text: ObjTextures16
    - Save and close the file.

3: Launch the game and make sure to set Hardware On and Character Detail: High in the options menu. You are now ready to play Thief with improved models."

Edumacated

Sad Git...

Any chance we could get a quick screenshot of how Thief looks now?

Quote Originally Posted by Sad Git View Post

Just to clarify, I used Daemonite's meshes and Orgy's textures. I'm not sure if there is an Orgy mesh pack as well, or if that was a typo.
    Off of TTLG Files and Media Page: Thief 2 Meshes in Thief Gold - 2.9 Megs
    This patch will replace your Thief Gold meshes with ones from Thief 2. Made by Orgy. Heads here: http://thief-thecircle.com/download.asp?fid=599

It is an Orgy Mesh Patch. Only three files in it and no readme. Not sure where they go.

Have you tried the Daemonite meshes instead? According to Orgy these are an improved version for Thief Gold that supersedes the older ones. :- http://thief-thecircle.com/download.asp?fid=590

Orgy's readme:- http://www.ttlg.com/thievery/patchguide.htm

Edumacated
    Quote Originally Posted by Thief13x View Post
    Any chance we could get a quick screenshot of how Thief looks now?
    Really no screenshots? All the links to 'examples' are dead, and I like the old rustic feel of an original Thief installation but always wondered how it would look all tricked out incase I decided to do it. Anyone have any screenies?

Quote Originally Posted by Thief13x View Post
    Really no screenshots? All the links to 'examples' are dead, and I like the old rustic feel of an original Thief installation but always wondered how it would look all tricked out incase I decided to do it. Anyone have any screenies?
    Sorry, I got annoyed with the game on one of the later levels and uninstalled the whole thing. Anyone else?

Edumacated
    What! annoyed with Thief? which level?

So you haven't used the improved models yet thief13x, eh?

Take a look at this post: click here

Of course that doesn't show much, but it's a start. I could send you some pictures that show the better meshes for guards, etc. and the textures in thief gold.... Really, the new meshes are totally worth it, as they look much nicer and can be compared to thief 2's AI. (for example, they actually have fingers, not hands with glued together finders)

Edumacated
    Hmm thanks sneaksie if you don't mind I'd be pretty interested in seeing it. The thing is I just don't wanna lose that original Thief gritty feeling, but truth be told the original models can be pretty hideous (as seen in your link, lol)

Alright, I don't know when but I'll get a set of shots ready and then upload them for you and send you a link to them.

I dunno if you can tell much, but here is a good bafford shot I took a long time ago. These are higher poly guards (click the image for larger size):

That's amazing - I always thought those walls were green. I'm definitely going to reinstall and go through the process now.

Rather than limit it to just thief13x, i thought i'd publicly post the link for anyone who is interested. It's rapidshare though, so it'll only allow 10 downloads.

http://rapidshare.com/files/164510947/screenshots.zip.html

Update: Removed.
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 19th Nov 2008 at 23:49.

Edumacated
    wow! thanks a mill Sneaksie. I LOVE how the texture changes are very subtle but really make a huge difference...I'm sold

No problem.... Funny thing is, all this time I HAVEN'T been playing thief gold with the texture patch... I tested it as you can see, and I kind of like thief gold's look with the older textures... hmm.

I have problems patching Thief 1. I did a clean fresh install, but the patching utility always gives me this:

Any Idea how to fix this ?

Because without the patch I cannot install the Widescreen/Resolution Fix.
    Last edited by Chiron; 15th Feb 2009 at 06:12.

What's with the "do fish get thirsty" ?

Maybe your game was prepatched? What version of thief is it first off?

You can find out by the autorun menu. (vers will be in the corner)

The other way to find out is to look at the version info on the exe by going to properties. The last way is to play thief and then alt + shift + v.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast