TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CLASSIC THIEF EXPERIENCE CONTEST results

CLASSIC THIEF EXPERIENCE CONTEST results

First, some bad news...
    Only one newbie, so there was no first-timer competition.
    Also, there were not enough author votes to have a Builders' Choice competition. They were evenly scattered over four of the missions. I won't say which four, because it doesn't matter anymore. However, if you look at it another way, the missions must have been pretty outstanding for authors to not be able to have a clear-cut choice.

Mission placements

First place-The Unbidden Guest-Melan
    395 points Highest Score-10 Lowest Score-5 average score 7.9

Second place-The Plot Thickens-Ottoj55
    384 points Highest Score-10 Lowest Score-4 average score 7.68

Third place-The Unsung Villain-RSoul
    369 points Highest Score-10 Lowest Score-5 average score 7.38

Fourth place-Shadow Moon-P Forth
    322 points Highest Score-9 Lowest Score-4 average score 6.44

Fifth place-Bafford's Town House-Esme
    296 points Highest Score-8 Lowest Score-3 average score 5.92

Sixth place-A Simple Job Planned For This Evening-thief0
    185 points Highest Score-7 Lowest Score-1 average score 3.7

Thanks to everyone who submitted a mission, everyone who took the time to vote, and to the sites that hosted the missions.

Winner number one, go back to the prize cache and pick one prize from list A and also one prize from list B. I'll then scratch those off and let the next on the list pick, and so on.
    Melan, I realize you live in Eastern Europe. Adapters are like ten bucks so you can plug an American plug into your sockets, but if you really don't like that, I'll go to the store and trade you your hard drive (if you pick one, which you likely will) for a 2.5" hard drive powered only by the USB plug. Just let me know in a PM.
    Otto will probably pick the other hard drive, and he lives in America, so there is no problem there.

Clearinghouse
    Congratulations, Melan

Classical Master 2008
    Since I was online and following the whole thing as uncadonego posted the threads, it felt a lot like how people must feel on the Oscars gala.

Thanks for the confidence, everyone, and I hope you enjoyed my mission as much as I enjoyed the others. It was really enjoyable building it, and the restrictions in the end proved more accommodating and creativity-spurring than restrictive. This has been a successful contest, and not just for the prices (which, I admit, are damn nice), but also uncadonego's initiative and drive. Thanks, uncadonego! Also thanks to all the other contestants, and lest we forget: I encourage the people who did not finish on time to go ahead with their planned entries. In the end, the community wins the most with more missions!

For the prices, I will take the obvious choice:
    A-list: 1) TrekStor DataStation 320GB eternal hard drive 3.5" USB 2.0
    B-list: 1) Kingston 1GB USB 2.0 DataTraveler drive
    I will supply my own adapter, no prob with that.

And thanks again, everyone.

Congatulations Melan! And congrats to all the authors for some very enjoyable, well-made missions.

Congrats guys! For a long time I played good one in Thief like with these FMs. And my hint came true, only I may not have been top notch for who I give the tip Congrats Melan! You are the Classics' Master!

Classical Master 2008
    A custom title along the lines of "Classical Master" certainly has a nice ring to it.

And my congratulations also to Melan. And to all the entrants, particularly Esme.

What I really want to do now is go back and play them all again without the time restriction, find that missing loot and those secrets.
    Last edited by nickie; 7th Oct 2008 at 06:40.

That sounds great Melan "Classical Master 2008" I'll let Digi know.

OK Otto, go to the prize cache list and pick one from A and one from B.

My favorite mission won! Congrats Melan.

These six missions were the first ones I played after a six months long hiatus from Thief. Thanks to the authors for rekindling my love for Thief and thanks to uncadonego for hosting this contest, it's been great!

congratulations Melan I did enjoy playing "unbidden" as I did all of the other missions, many thanks to all of the other authors

I don't think I did too badly for my first real mission, I've released a demo before this so I don't qualify as a newby, I think that was Melan so even more congratulations for that

thanks to everyone who voted, especially nickie who has really got me intrigued with this comment
    Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    And my congratulations also to Melan. And to all the entrants, particularly Esme....
    I learned a lot making this and yes I still have some hair I haven't pulled out yet so I will be making more eventually

Well who was the newbie then if it wasn't you Esme? Also I found previous missions for all the others. And Melan did Bad Debts.

Aha! a mystery.

I was referring to Esme. I didn't realize she had released a demo in my search. I guess there were no true newbies then.

Gratulalok Melan!! Congratulation to the other authors too, for the enjoyable missions! And once again, thanks to uncadonego for organizing this contest.

Quote Originally Posted by uncadonego View Post
    I was referring to Esme. I didn't realize she had released a demo in my search. I guess there were no true newbies then.
    Ah, I did mention it to you when I put my name in and you said that meant I couldn't be a newby, but that was a while ago

it's this http://www.boxtechnic.com/thief/testsync.zip if anyone is interested

it's just an example of getting one AI to follow another that I figured out with lots of help from the editors guild, so I figured if it was so hard for me then it might be hard for someone else so I put it into a demo and released it so other people could use it, there's very little to it really

Keeper of FMs
    Congratulations to all the contestants! I enjoyed playing all of the missions very much. Thank you for your hard work and efforts.

Special Congrats to Melan for edging out the tough competition and winning! You truly are a Classical Master!

Quote Originally Posted by pavlovscat View Post
    Special Congrats to Melan for edging out the tough competition and winning! You truly are a Classical Master!
    Yep, Congrats Melan. With Otto and R Soul in the competition it was always going to be tough for the rest of us, ( I knew I wasn't going to beat them ), but you did, so well done. Excellent mission.

Clearinghouse
    Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    it's this http://www.boxtechnic.com/thief/testsync.zip if anyone is interested
    Good idea, Esme!

Southquarter.com/fms
    Congrats to everyone. I have to say though, I'm a bit surprised the average scores were so low. Nothing averaged over an 8!

Congratulations, Melan! I thought your mission was great fun to play and deserved to win, though it had some stiff competition!

Many thanks to all the entrants for providing us with a surprising amount of play time, considering the size restrictions. Well done to all of you!

Esme, you definitely should be proud of your entry! Considering it is basically your first real mission, you did a terrific job!

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Congrats to everyone. I have to say though, I'm a bit surprised the average scores were so low. Nothing averaged over an 8!
    I was equally surprised. I think its been too long since folks have played the originals. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I'm shaking my head at some of them. Kind of like this guy...

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    That's one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. And now I've seen it, your entry definitely should count as a first mission. I don't think I've expressed that very well.

Well done & thank-you to all participants - hopefully, there'll always be a place for 'classic' Thief FM's.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    I have to say though, I'm a bit surprised the average scores were so low. Nothing averaged over an 8!
    Maybe every FM is being held up against the "big releases" now...

It might be partially due to this:

Quote Originally Posted by uncadonego View Post
    Don't give a mission a ten unless you would truly describe it as one of the best FM's you've ever played.

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    That's one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. And now I've seen it, your entry definitely should count as a first mission. I don't think I've expressed that very well.
    glad you liked it, I wanted the crouching walk for a mission I want to build where I have one AI creep up on another while Garret watches and I needed to know if it could be done before I spent ages learning dromed and building a mission only to find I couldn't do it.
    And don't worry I know what you mean

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast