TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123456712172227 ... LastLast

Thread: Fallout 3 Impressions

new dog, aehm horse armor !

Quote Originally Posted by BR796164 View Post
    The society in Fallout 3 seems to be overall nearly completely apathetic towards some cooperation and building of a new world.
    War...war never changes...

Fallout already has swords.

As for the condition...could be a number of things. Most likely due to the local sociology experiments. We know vault 13 got shorted supplies. Don't know exactly what the other vaults experiments were, but we know vault 101 was on 'permanent' lockdown.

If the west coast groupings tending to have settings that induced leaving the vault, while the east coasters tended to be 'stay in' type experiments, then the west would logically come together much faster then the east. And the major 'civilized' settlements in F2 were all either former vaults, or dependent on the local vaults - except maybe Reno, but that ain't exactly a bastion of civilization.

Plus, the east coast probably would've had a higher target priority then the southwest. You blow up LA, you blow up San Francisco, but it's not quite as target rich as the east coast. Perhaps they're further behind because they got nuked harder, and had to wait out the radiation longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    And even better, they're starting work on Elder Scrolls 5! I'm expecting Fallout [3] with swords.
    Nice.

Moderator and Priest
    Damn. This game takes for-fucking-hell-damn-ever to install. It's been working on this Windows Live BS for about 5 minutes now.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 30th Oct 2008 at 21:28.

Quote Originally Posted by elkston View Post
    I have a notebook (Dell XPS 2) with a 6800 Go Ultra. I run Fallout 3 at 1280x800 with no HDR or Bloom, high textures, low water effects (no reflections), No Shadows, medium-high sliders on view, actor, & object distance, no AA.

I find the performance to be very smooth indoors and acceptable/good outdoors. My other specs: 2 GB RAM, 2.13 Ghz Pentium-M processor.
    ah, this is useful to know, thx. Mine may require a bit lower stats though as I have the regular 6800, 1400x900 monitor, only 1 gig of ram, and my processor is a 1.8 Ghz, but runs like a 2.4 cause of the large bus.

Hmm, this is actually sounding interesting...

Question: I've been wanting to try out the Fallout series for a while, just never really got around to it. Would it help in terms of plot to have played the first two games before trying this one, or does it not really make a difference?

Taking the Death Toll
    You should play the first one regardless.

Fuck the first two games. That sun--great as it was--set a long time ago.

As for the F3, I'm not very far in but that moment when you first leave the vault is one of the most jaw-dropping moments I've ever had in a video game.

While all this talk is encouraging and I will most definitely purchase it, game prices being what they are and my gaming schedule being what it is, I can comfortably wait until it drops to $60AU and still be behind schedule with what I have to play (quit STALKER and Fallout, still have Dark Messiah and GTA4 to get through).

So far, at least, F1 and 2 are completely irrelevant to F3. I haven't beaten the game yet though, so that's just so far.

Moderator and Priest
    Okay, it's pretty damn neat.

I wasn't expecting much. Maybe because most of the info I've gleamed about the game from my occasional visits over to NMA. Those guys, despite being the intelligent, occasionally fun, and dedicated sort, could suck the fun out of a blowjob if they find said BJ isn't up to their super exacting standards. I wouldn't pay them much attention. What they want is Fallout the way Fallout was. And this game is only just sortakinda like Fallout.

I haven't spent much time with it yet, so I can't comment much on the gameplay. SPECIAL works a helluva lot better than Bethesdas Elder Scrolls setup (and I hope they cop it for ES5). The NPCs are actually lively and interesting this go round, huge improvements over Oblivion. Dialog, while maybe not up to the standards of the old FOs, is better than just passable. And the atmosphere and music, well, it's all around awesome. I can't praise it enough.

In short, I like it. Though it remains to be seen if I'll like it in another 10 hours or so. I loved Oblivion at first, too. But after awhile, once it's shiny newness started wearing off, I got real bored with it real fast. So far, FO3 doesn't look like it'll go down that route...but we'll see.

Also, screenshots:

Shack
    Megaton At Night

edit: is there any way to holster your gun?
    Last edited by Renzatic; 31st Oct 2008 at 00:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    edit: is there any way to holster your gun?
    Yes "r" is both reload and holster (and repair if if you're in the weapon/apparel inventory), hold it longer to holster.

It's strange that the game has clones for e.g Raiders. I'm in a camp now and there are like 30 guys here looking exactly the same (same face, hair style and clothes). If i remember correctly there was a randomizer for this with the bandits in Oblivion, so they never looked exactly the same.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Jesus, the animation (eg fluidity of movement of the characters' movement, facial expressions) can be shockingly bad in this game. On a regular basis FO3 jumps over the Uncanny Valley on a skateboard. Mass Effect and even VtM: Bloodlines - a four year old game - are light years ahead of this.

I've never played Oblivion, was the animation in that title of a similar quality?

BR796164
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatose View Post
    As for the condition...could be a number of things. Most likely due to the local sociology experiments. We know vault 13 got shorted supplies. Don't know exactly what the other vaults experiments were, but we know vault 101 was on 'permanent' lockdown.
    If the west coast groupings tending to have settings that induced leaving the vault, while the east coasters tended to be 'stay in' type experiments, then the west would logically come together much faster then the east. And the major 'civilized' settlements in F2 were all either former vaults, or dependent on the local vaults - except maybe Reno, but that ain't exactly a bastion of civilization.
    Plus, the east coast probably would've had a higher target priority then the southwest. You blow up LA, you blow up San Francisco, but it's not quite as target rich as the east coast. Perhaps they're further behind because they got nuked harder, and had to wait out the radiation longer.
    Interesting theories, yes, they could explain a lot. Still, socially an technically advanced communities tend to grow into civilizations which expand, so perhaps it would be logical to expect that progressive communities like NCR would spread to the east coast by the time of F3. But perhaps they develop slowly or have been wiped out (alternate F2 ending?).
    Perhaps Fallout MMO makes it more clear what happened in the west coast before F3 events. Which leads me to wondering how Interplay makes their MMO world compatible with F3.
    I often wondered how the rest of the world looks like in Fallout universe and I guess there must be places on Earth marginally devastated by the War, since the North America and China were the main actors targeting each other. Fallout Yurop was promising in this aspect but it's pretty much zombified by now.

Quote Originally Posted by ZymeAddict View Post
    Would it help in terms of plot to have played the first two games before trying this one, or does it not really make a difference?
    No, Beth made it clear this is a separate story independent on the first two games. Easier way how to attract newcomers (like you *wink*) and I guess it has been said enough about V13 Vault Dweller and his descendant, the Chosen One, anyway. But perhaps there are few hidden references to previous games, to satisfy the old crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
    Yes, well if it was true, you wouldn't play F3 right now! Such disrespect to a living legend!

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Jesus, the animation (eg fluidity of movement of the characters' movement, facial expressions) can be shockingly bad in this game.
    Bad animation would be a marginal downer for me.
    If game series leap from 256 color 2D graphics right into 3D engine with bad character animation I guess it still can be considered as success!
    Perhaps this has it's share of guilt on why the game runs fine on mediocre PCS...
    Now really, are the animations actually worse than in Oblivion?
    Last edited by Rogue Keeper; 31st Oct 2008 at 05:23.

Taking a break
    Care to elaborate? Is it another "not aged well" bullshit? Or maybe you'd like to point out all the great cRPGs which followed and overshadowed them? Because, jolly good, I can think of only one.

BR796164
    Just found PDF manual...

http://madbrahmin.cz/download/fallou..._pc_manual.pdf

It's pretty, they tried to capture the writing style of F1 manual, but ended halfway there.

As for the F3, I'm not very far in but that moment when you first leave the vault is one of the most jaw-dropping moments I've ever had in a video game.
    The scorched skeleton and the placards ("Let us in Motherfuckers!", "We're dying out here assholes!") right outside the vault door made me chuckle. Firstly, due to the mere idea of people outside desperately trying to get in; the sadist in me was much amused. Secondly, due to the ludicrousness of it; I mean, picketing outside the vault door, seriously? Also, humans getting scorched, but placards remaining intact? Must have been hiding in fridges, I guess.

Overall though, I'm quite impressed. The whole birth-through-adolescence-to-manhood(lol) in the vault was very well done, and the way character progression (S.P.E.C.I.A.L., G.O.A.T.) was integrated was pretty clever as well.

The one thing that did suck though, and badly, was melee combat. V.A.T.S. made it bearable, but real-time it was pants. If this is how Oblivion handled combat (wouldn't know, never played it), I'm suprised people managed to play the game longer than 5 min.

Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    The one thing that did suck though, and badly, was melee combat. V.A.T.S. made it bearable, but real-time it was pants. If this is how Oblivion handled combat (wouldn't know, never played it), I'm suprised people managed to play the game longer than 5 min.
    The melee combat in Oblivion was much better. That, and the weird 3rd person camera are the two things in FO3 that stand out for me as being worse than TES4. Otherwise, I'm enjoying the hell out of this game. Bethesda (and 2K, for that matter) really need to consider hiring whomever does the animations for Bioware games though, as they're not very good (although, not really much worse than most other game imho).

I'm liking it more and more (unlike 90% of most games where i stop playing half way through).

Something i miss is that I'd like too see how much damage(/absorbed damage) you do (in numbers). Because when i get a new item i can appreciate it much more since i can see exactly how much more effective (or non effective) it is.

The animations are bad yes, i think its some kind of limitation with their engine, i'd love to see that part upgraded.. It's not morrowind-bad anymore maybe but it still sucks..

..and wow do i miss vehicles (after playing too much GTA/Saints Row probably), that would've been sooo fun.. How come none of these post apocalypic games dont have any vehicles? In the movies they were the "main attraction".. well, can't have it all i guess.
    Last edited by vurt; 31st Oct 2008 at 08:05.

BR796164
    You would reach the opposite border of the game world too quickly and a fast ride would be probably slowing continuous loading.
    I'm curious if the invisible world borders can be turned off like in Oblivion... altho nothing of interest is beyond them.

How is the fast travelling solved? Instant transition to location or watching your icon travel on the map with random encounters? I guess it's the first option.

Quote Originally Posted by vurt View Post
    ..and wow do i miss vehicles (after playing too much GTA/Saints Row probably), that would've been sooo fun.. How come none of these post apocalypic games dont have any vehicles? In the movies they were the "main attraction".. well, can't have it all i guess.
    AFAIK, the entire reason the nuclear war in Fallout was fought was because of the scarcity of resources, mainly oil. So there's not much left to fuel any vehicles.

There's obviously ways around this (s. Fallout 2's fusion-powered car), but those vehicles aren't/ shouldn't be very common. One of the things people complained about in Fallout Tactics was the 'abundance' of vehicles.

Yes i know the story why there aren't any vehicles in the FO universe, i've played FO1-2. They had to make something up because it would've been very hard for them to implement it i think.

I bet Bethesda is glad they don't need to include vehicles since their engine isnt any good for that, i mean even horse riding in Oblivion sucks (because of the countinous loading).

About fast travelling, its just like in Oblivion, you press the location on your map, it loads for a second or two and you're there. No random encounters.

BR796164
    Perhaps there are special things you can discover in the wasteland if your Luck is too high ... but most players haven't discovered them yet. Well, that's my wishful thinking.

It's instant teleportation, yes.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123456712172227 ... LastLast