TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678131823 ... LastLast

Thread: Fallout 3 Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by vurt View Post
    The animations are bad yes, i think its some kind of limitation with their engine, i'd love to see that part upgraded.. It's not morrowind-bad anymore maybe but it still sucks..
    I dunno how closely tied the animation is to the renderer, but Pirates! uses the Gamebryo engine as well and the animation is great.

Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    The one thing that did suck though, and badly, was melee combat. V.A.T.S. made it bearable, but real-time it was pants.
    Now that is disappointing. I've never really enjoyed turn based combat, so I haven't played too many traditional RPGs. I was hoping that since this is a first person game, real time combat would be a viable option.

It is. Just not (really) with melee weapons.

So the real time ranged combat is OK? Can you still do location specific damage if you don't use VATS?

Seemed ok to me, yeah, but I haven't played far enough to be able to answer your second question, sorry. Maybe someone else can.

BR796164
    From what I've read you can aim at specific body parts in realtime too, but it's tricky to make a hit if your skill is low, because the NPCs tend to constantly run, dodge and hide. And since ammo is precious to be wasted with low skill in realtime, VATS comes damn handy.

Thing What Kicks
    Just to note, you can't target body parts with melee weapons.

The Alchemist
    Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    Just to note, you can't target body parts with melee weapons.
    That's weird, I swear I saw a video where he uses a pneumatic fist and aims straight for the head, severing it clean off.

Sense of humor is spot on:

When that giant Brotherhood robot destroys absolute everything in itsr path while saying "Eliminating all Chinese Communist sympathizers!" and "Democracy is not a negotiation!" was priceless!

Quote Originally Posted by pdenton View Post
    Sense of humor is spot on:

When that giant Brotherhood robot destroys absolute everything in itsr path while saying "Eliminating all Chinese Communist sympathizers!" and "Democracy is not a negotiation!" was priceless!
    WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY FALLOUT

Taking the Death Toll
    People who act like Fallout isn't supposed to be funny obviously never actually played the first game.

"What do you want?"
    "A donut."

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    While all this talk is encouraging and I will most definitely purchase it, game prices being what they are and my gaming schedule being what it is, I can comfortably wait until it drops to $60AU and still be behind schedule with what I have to play (quit STALKER and Fallout, still have Dark Messiah and GTA4 to get through).
    Do you ever actually, you know, finish a game?

Well, I went and bought it. It's buggy, crashes a lot, and stutters as if my FPS is something other than the constant 75 it's really at.

That said, it's fun. I don't want for money- I have to deal with encumbrance, choosing what to carry and what not to. I'd like to hire someone to fight with me, but the only guy I've found won't because my karma is too good.

I built a rock-it launcher and am underwhelmed. Low damage, hard to hit things, and it cost me 1k caps for the plans- but it shoots junk, which means that I've got mountains of ammo for my other weapons.

My one major gameplay complaint is that all weapons seem weak. It takes a hell of a lot of shooting to drop anyone. The only way to kill quickly is to VATS their head off.

I'm really on the fence regarding buying this. I'm a big old school Fallout fan but no purist and so was greatly looking forward to FPP version of it. However I am no fan of previous Bethesda RPG's which nail the epic scope but completely fail at the more intimate level with some really bland design/characterisation/writing. Their abominable animation turns me off also.

So how does Fallout 3 fare in those categories? I wouldn't expect it to have great writing but how much of a step up is it from Oblivion? Is the main plot actually interesting? The combat animation I've seen in the videos is just embarassing but what of the other animation in non combat situations, particularly conversations? Also is the combat as clunky as it looks in the preview videos?

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    People who act like Fallout isn't supposed to be funny obviously never actually played the first game.

"What do you want?"
    "A donut."
    Note: Several jokes in several thousand lines of text makes game funny.

Taking the Death Toll
    The point is people who think Fallout 1 was ALWAYS SERIOUS ALL THE TIME never played it.

Good game to play and just went through a theft spree in megaton

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Dust View Post
    I'm really on the fence regarding buying this. I'm a big old school Fallout fan but no purist and so was greatly looking forward to FPP version of it. However I am no fan of previous Bethesda RPG's which nail the epic scope but completely fail at the more intimate level with some really bland design/characterisation/writing. Their abominable animation turns me off also.
    I didn't like Oblivion at all, but from what I've seen so far F3 seems much better. Characters are deep and alive enough, conversations, quests, and world are interesting, art style, graphics and music are fine. I didn't notice much similarity to Oblivion gameplay-wise too, this one is more action-oriented and involving. Good RPG it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post

"What do you want?"
    "A donut."
    ..What? The problem is precisely that it is NOT funny. It's, what's the expression, "ham fisted"?
    "EMBRACE DEMOCRACY OR BE DESTROYED"

sounds like it's trying to be funny, whereas Fallout 1 and 2 just happened to be funny because of the humour inherent in some of the situations.

Everything I've heard makes me think this game will be the same as Thief Deadly Shadows. A good game, in it's own right, but noticeably made by people who were fans of the first games but don't fully understand what made them so great.

I wouldn't compare it to Thief Deadly Shadows, unless you thought TDS was better than anything else in the Thief series. FO3 is pretty damn excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    I wouldn't compare it to Thief Deadly Shadows, unless you thought TDS was better than anything else in the Thief series.
    Or that FO1/2 is better than FO3.

No, I haven't played FO3 yet, but I'm going to get it. I think I'll be able to enjoy it for what it is, but it can never top FO1/2, because those 2 games hold a special place in my heart.

Amazon sent me the XBox version. My impressions of them are unprintable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kroakie View Post
    Or that FO1/2 is better than FO3.

No, I haven't played FO3 yet, but I'm going to get it. I think I'll be able to enjoy it for what it is, but it can never top FO1/2, because those 2 games hold a special place in my heart.
    This. TDS was not as good as Thief 1 & 2 for EXACTLY the same reasons that Fallout 3 seems to be a pale imitation of Fallout 1 & 2.

That said, I'm basing this on what I've read and seen; I've yet to play Fallout3 so it may yet convince me. But I already dislike the way the setting and humour are forced down your throat, rather than just being a backdrop for a damn good game. Case in point - that trailer with the "Duck and cover" style black and white nuclear safety video. It's OTT, campy and obvious. Compare that to "War. War never changes." Fallout 1 may have been pretty damn funny, but the difference is it knew when and how to be funny and when to be deadly serious and not patronise it's audience.

Yet one of the main criticisms of Fallout 2 is exactly that it was "OTT, campy and obvious". If that is the main criticism, then it applies to 2/3 of the RPG series, it would seem.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678131823 ... LastLast