TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Sam and Max

Sam and Max

Hey everyone,

As I'm sure many may have noticed the whole of Season One of Sam n Max is available on Steam for $14.99 this weekend, a substantial reduction on its usual price.

To my shame I've never played the original Hit The Road (odd given that I'm a big fan of the Monkey Island series; the two are closely associated in my mind for some reason) and whilst I remember that the launch of the new series was greeted with some acclaim it'd be good to hear what everyone thinks of the way it's panned out.

Does the series/original have a similar sense of humour to Monkey Island? Not that similarity to MI is a prerequisite for anything but I'd like to know what I'd be getting in to - the impression I get is of a surreal slapstick ride that looks like really good fun. So, thoughts, memories, warm n fuzzy nostalgia anyone?

Personally I think they are quite mediocre in pretty much all categories and in no way do they even begin to approach the quality of those classic adventure games. I played the first season and quite enjoyed the first espisode but then realised that the subsequent games were pretty much the same thing, right down to reusing of locations and running jokes and characters, god I hate the Soda Poppers, that weren't even funny the first time. I realise they are episodes and as such will require the reusing of content etc, I just wish that the template used for the games wasn't so visible. Also if you are a fan of layered puzzles of the classic games then you will be dissappointed by the linear stuff in these games. Your mileage may vary however and I have heard the second season is much better.
    Last edited by Angel Dust; 22nd Nov 2008 at 21:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
    So, thoughts, memories, warm n fuzzy nostalgia anyone?
    Max being voted President of the United States of America. Crashing the entire internet. The general humour style is somewhat similar to MI, frequently referencing games and pop culture.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Download the free episode and play it. I found the humour to be horrible TBH.

Episode 4's musical number was pretty fucking awesome.

Don't listen to the retards in this thread, Sam and Max Season One is all win from top to bottom. Episodes two and three are a little shaky, but even so they're generally fun.

Well, the only retard I'm referring to is EvaUnit02 (seriously, that's the best handle you could come up?) as Angel Dust's criticism is more or less fair. The series is a work in progress and it shows, although I never found it less than enjoyable.

Being not good at puzzles myself, I found the somewhat tuned down problems all right (and still ha to consult a walk-through now and then). Also the reusing of locations and characters was fine for me, I always went to Bosco first to talk about anything else

In sum I liked the humor the most, especially all the reference jokes in the internet episode.

Is season 2 available already?

Hit the Road was awesome. I still have it on CD.
    I can't say anything about the new episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
    (seriously, that's the best handle you could come up?)
    Hasn't been that long since the days of Stitch666...

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Well, the only retard I'm referring to is EvaUnit02 (seriously, that's the best handle you could come up?) as Angel Dust's criticism is more or less fair. The series is a work in progress and it shows, although I never found it less than enjoyable.
    Right, so someone has a different opinion to yours, so that warrants calling them a retard? Grow the fuck up.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefreak View Post
    In sum I liked the humor the most, especially all the reference jokes in the internet episode.
    I had completely forgotten about that episode, which was indeed great. Especially the text adventure bit!

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Right, so someone has a different opinion to yours, so that warrants calling them a retard? Grow the fuck up.
    how about we settle on classifying you based on the quality of your zings
    Quote Originally Posted by Fringe View Post
    Hasn't been that long since the days of Stitch666...
    Surely an evil atheist such as yourself wouldn't want to get into this discussion

Fuck!

PC Gamering Smartey Man

how about we settle on classifying you based on the quality of your zing
    This coming from the guy whom invoked ad hominem in his initial reply?

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Remaster coming early next month. It looks like it's actually put together by passionate people with some effort and not a lazy ass, barely changed OG PC port to scam current gen console customers (eg Ghostbusters: The Video Game "Remastered", NFS: Hot Pursuit 2010 "Remastered").

50% loyalty discount until 31st Dec on Steam and GOG.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...ave_the_World/
    https://www.gog.com/game/sam_max_sav...rld_remastered

https://archive.vn/4Vjm0